South Dakota vehicle insurance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaDog

Reaction score
I'm now a South Dakota resident. Would any of you have a recommendation for an economical independent vehicle insurance option?

Can I ask what made you decide to go with the lizard?

It shouldn't be too hard to go online and get quotes from various companies. After all, the rates are based on your personal info, your particular vehicle and your address.

I used Geico until they developed this delusion that I didn't actually live where I lived, didn't drive the car I drove, and was a space alien from the planet Dweemo rather than a human. They wavered between threatening to cancel my insurance and actually canceling it, then reinstating it. I had no tickets or accidents during the five+ years I was their customer, or the prior 20 years for that matter.

Their customer service was abominable, and their underwriting department in particular was unhelpful and downright snotty. Late in the game, they canceled my insurance again--with no notice or warning--and when I got pulled over for a burned-out taillight, the cop ran my info and found that I had no insurance! $6,000,000 ticket.

So I finally crushed that goddamn lizard into a blob of green goo.

BTW, my premiums with Regressive are 20% cheaper for the same coverage.

mkl654321 said:
BTW, my premiums with Regressive are 20% cheaper for the same coverage.

I was once perusing a consumer-oriented insurance site, and a broker there said that you should never buy insurance from a company that has a national advertising campaign.

mkl654321 said:
...BTW, my premiums with Regressive are 20% cheaper for the same coverage.
Good to know. The lizard has also refused to bundle my account or send out ID cards thats annoying.

I live in an area with alot of drivers from another country, so I do carry excess coverage, though we know that does not lead to excess payout.
-crofter