South Dakota may not be for you if you owe on student loans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White+Nerdy

Reaction score
I know that SD is a popular state to declare as a domicile because it’s so easy. But if you’ve defaulted on student loans you may want to think twice.

https://jalopnik.com/south-dakota-punishes-people-behind-on-their-student-lo-1820644938

TL;DR: SD can and will revoke your drivers license if you’ve defaulted on student loans, as well as any other professional license you might have. If you’re in the van life because you’re broke, and student loans are part of your problem, be aware of that...

That is absolutely insane. My student loans, all $30,000 of them, are up to date, but how does SD expect you to make payments if they take away your license? Why not go ahead and toss us into debtors prison?

It says you'd be Ok if you get on a payment plan. If you're not working full-time you can get several different types of forbearances. Reduced payments,etc.

this is only for loans that were guarantied by the state of South Dakota. if your student loan is from another state they don't care. I guess the lesson here is don't become indebted to any government agency. highdesertranger