residency in South Dakota

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a while since I posted on this thread. I got to Dallas but that didn’t work out so I’m headed back home to Michigan. My goal is still the same. Just going to work and save the money I. Michigan then head to SD.

Sorry Texas didn't work out for you. So, you're headed for another winter in Michigan? I'm also bound to the north country this winter - can't say I'm looking forward to another North Idaho winter. I've seen some strange stuff go down just looking out my window here. People spinning with little provocation. Cars stuck to the icy road. I'm hoping for safe passage out of the state at the end of December so I can spend January at the RTR in Arizona!

travelaround said:
Sorry Texas didn't work out for you. So, you're headed for another winter in Michigan? I'm also bound to the north country this winter - can't say I'm looking forward to another North Idaho winter. I've seen some strange stuff go down just looking out my window here. People spinning with little provocation. Cars stuck to the icy road. I'm hoping for safe passage out of the state at the end of December so I can spend January at the RTR in Arizona!

Yeah another winter is a bummer of it all but I’m looking at the plus side of it and get to spend more time with my family (especially my Grandma). Another bonus is I get to watch people when the first good snow fall happen get panicked and go all over the road (and ditches) with the new roundabout they made in the town I’m from. Majority of the people there never seen one in person, let alone drove around one. Before they started construction of it people were panicking. ?
Hope you stay warm this winter and you get to AZ. I would love to go out to RTR.

Kramer said:
Also (and this is important!), Texas requires an annual inspection whereas SD does not. You can renew your SD registration via the web, and they will mail your new decals or plates to you.

Good info in the post, but this one detail should also be mentioned: You are not required to renew that Texas vehicle inpsection IF the vehicle is out of state when the registration needs to be renewed.

Once the vehicle is back in Texas, you have 3 days to get the inspection done.

Still, I admit, a bit of a pain in the back side.

tx2sturgis said:
Good info in the post, but this one detail should also be mentioned: You are not required to renew that Texas vehicle inpsection IF the vehicle is out of state when the registration needs to be renewed.

Once the vehicle is back in Texas, you have 3 days to get the inspection done.

Still, I admit, a bit of a pain in the back side.

I did not know that. Interesting. That’ll explain why there was a Texan that went to the local university up there that would let his inspection tags go. If the law didn’t require me to get it done if I was out of state I would just wait until I went home on break.

I was going to go to SD and then get my van so I can bypass the whole inspection thing.

John61CT said:
they might want to fight your claim you are no longer a taxable Resident.

So I suppose that you have to move all your banking to South Dakota as well?     ~crofter

Who on here has enough money that anyplace would "fight" someone that moved? I know I don't. And how would they fight it? Your address is in SD so you don't have a "real" address anymore so you are still here? I don't think so. Waaay to many full time RVers with whole lot more money aren't squealing about any of this.

In the proper context.

John61CT said:
That sort of effort is only required if you were paying high taxes in your previous state, still have ties (time spent, property, vehicles, business, etc) there

For the rest of us poors, there really aren't reasons for a state to try to "claim us", long as we do in fact keep moving.

But enroll in college or get a job in CA for example, or just hang out in one town too long the cops get to know you, may be a different story.
Wealthy people do pay lawyers to help with these issues.

I did not claim many members here need worry about this, just making the point it isn't always a simple matter of choosing your domicile state, sometimes conditions must be met

Yes, there are wealthy people with property, cars etc. in multiple states. They can only claim one state as their primary residence though. Everything else is vacation property and they have to pay taxes on those too.

Example: I have a primary residence in Texas and a vacation house and cars in some other state. If I choose to move my primary residence to the other state, I know of nothing preventing me from doing this as my taxes in Texas would go up as it is not my primary property and can't have the homestead exemption. Why would they fight that no matter how rich I am.

If I sold my Texas house and moved to another state, the person buying the house would then be paying the taxes.

The above is an example, I do not have a vacation home.

So the thought of a state "trying to claim you" makes absolutely no sense to me.

That’s the only good thing about being disabled. I don’t make enough to have to file taxes. So I don’t pay state or income tax.

B and C said:
So the thought of a state "trying to claim you" makes absolutely no sense to me.
Nothing to do with property taxes, but income taxes. Many are well over 8%, over and above IRS rates.

Many try to "virtually move" legally to a lower or no- tax jurisdiction, but do not actually change their lives that much.

In any case, if you want to learn more about the topic, there's plenty of info out there, but it seems it isn't actually relevant to you?

I don't think it is relevant at all here. If I am moving out it means someone is moving in to take my place on ALL the tax rolls.

It may apply to you but not most of us.

I can see incentives being thrown at a business trying to leave but I don't consider that fighting...

When you get to SD it takes 24 hours to become a resident. Nomadic fanatic just done it and has a YouTube video out on it. I really don’t think a state can keep anyone from moving unless your on probation or parole