Sophia's Hauler...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galladanb

Reaction score
Hi Y'all! Newb here from Middle Tennessee. We got our sweet little Hauler about 3 weeks ago.

Sophia is our little doggie and our project is all about her hauler unit, LOL!

Sophia's Hauler is a 2008 Chevy Express 3500 Extended WB model.
She was used as a medical supply unit, bringing those green Oxygen bottles to the home-bound folks.

Here are some images of what she looked like when we got her...
300_DSC6972.jpg
300_DSC6975.jpg
300_DSC6978.jpg
300_DSC6979.jpg
IMG_0570.jpeg

Attachments

• 300_DSC6972.jpg
    300_DSC6972.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 300_DSC6975.jpg
    300_DSC6975.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 300_DSC6978.jpg
    300_DSC6978.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 300_DSC6979.jpg
    300_DSC6979.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0570.jpeg
    IMG_0570.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
We decided to leave the regular radio in place, and are going to use a Bluetooth speaker system instead.
We are currently trying out the Sony XB2, it runs about $70 bucks and will suit our needs just fine.

Early on we decided to make sure EVERYTHING we do to her will be quickly removable, so that if we EVER have to change units for whatever reason, we can remove the mods and re-cycle them into the next one.

The exception will of course be the walls and insulation systems. But the bed platform, cabinets flooring, etc will all come will little muss or fuss.

Well at least that is the plan for now, LOL!!!

Welcome!

Nice van and designing a flexible interior, IMO, is the way to go. My stuff is bolted or chained or screwed down but I can take it out without too much trouble.

Sassy

Ha! I'll bet you all thought I forgot ya! I have been seriously slacking... It's just been too cold for adhesives, or paint, or raining... I know.... Whatever!

I did actually complete one mini project today. If you notice in the original pictures, there are four six inch vent circles, two per side. When running at highway speeds, we were getting a high pitch whistle kinda sound. I have suspected these vents were the cause or the wheels were sending sound via the unprotected wheel well arches. Well, I have placed insulation in these vents, and now we need to make a test run to see if the insulation has squelched it or not.

I also started making a cardboard mockup of wheel well covers that will go inside the bed platform...

Getting there!

Such fun!!!

I'm in middle TN too. (About an hour north of Chattanooga.) Nice looking van-keep us updated with the buildout!

TooManyDogs said:
I'm in middle TN too. (About an hour north of Chattanooga.) Nice looking van-keep us updated with the buildout!

Oh, Cool! When we get rolling and going, we want to head over to Savannah Ga, so we may hook up with you along the way!

Did you start a build thread as well? If so, can you share a linkie for it?

OH, Exciting news! Somebody came by and actually paid cash money for all thew take outs we had stacked at the side of the house!
Yeah, Now I can go buy some reflectix!!!

galladanb said:
Oh, Cool! When we get rolling and going, we want to head over to Savannah Ga, so we may hook up with you along the way!

Did you start a build thread as well? If so, can you share a linkie for it?

I just got my van a few weeks ago and don't have a build thread. I'm not modifying much at this point: just built a bed and couple of storage areas for various things, and moved a desk in. I thought I would try the configuration out on a few trips to work out the kinks first.

That's a really nice van , have any pictures of the vents from a exterior view?
Edit: oh i see , you already have pictures of the vents (exterior view) sorry.

That's a nice starting point, sweet news on the internal stuff getting sold, less stuff, moar money to build with!

So... Using my friends loan of his Kreg pocket hole jig, I was able to make some progress on the supports for the bed platform! Yay!!!!

Shown here on the garage floor about 24 inches apart as they will be when in place.
image.jpeg

And here it is with the skin on it...
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 37
Isn't that Pocket Jig just the neatest tool ever for van building!!

I show mine off every chance I get to all the ones who haven't done their interiors yet and to those that have but used angle brackets... :D

OMG, Yes!!! The one I'm borrowing from a friend (THANK YOU SIR DARYL!) Is an older one, a K2000, but what the hey, it works just wonderfully!!!!!

I am able to build out these bed supports by myself, and they are roc'm soc'm solid!!! AMAZING!!!

MY build is taking longer than I want, but hey, I'm not getting any younger or thinner!
I am turning 65 in March, and have been a couch potato since 2008. I lost my job when Obama got his! No politics, just the facts.

Started the mockup of the bed platforms. After two really cold days, the weather today was quite nice. Progress is coming...

Here, showing the wheel well covers first two sides, these will be insulated and sound deadner applied on the inside for maximum durability. The boxes will live inside the left and right bed platforms.
image.jpg

Showing the bed platform supports which will have a flip up cover. The white in the center is a folding table that will be used for either center support of the bed, or a dinette table, and it can also be used outside as a kitchen worksurface.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 29
Looking good! What's going to go behind the bed, by the rear doors?

Unless I get a better idea, I'm planning on matching vertical cabinets...
I think about 18 inches deep, maybe 18 to 20 inches wide, full height?

We thought it would be good to have a "trunk" area... The center aisle will be two ft wide and full length front to back, for longer items, planning to have partitions to customize the space as needed. The dinette will have a u shaped seating that can be either towards the front or rear, and makes the whole thing into an almost king sized bed, should be about 70 x 80 if I get my way...

Up front on the drivers side, planning on two cabinets, either with same height or different, depending on what we settle on...

I'm building a "trunk" area behind my bed too. One side will hold my bicycle (stored vertically), and I haven't decided about the other side yet. Might just put a 5 gal bucket back there...

Temps were good yesterday, and I was able to get the wheelwell boxes insulated and I figured out a way to hold the table/middle bed platform in place for more measuring.

More cutting and sawdust tomorrow!

Insulating the passenger side wheelwell.
1.jpg

Insulating the drivers side wheelwell.
2.jpg

Looking to rear from passenger side. Table in the center.
3.jpg

Looking to the front.
4.jpg

The side boxes are cavernous, should be able to hold lawn chairs and awning poles with room to spare.
5.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 38
Would it be a crime to work on her today, Being Christmas an all?
But, it would be a shame to waste these temps....
Even if the humidity is literally dripping from the chart!!!

image.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    866.8 KB · Views: 22