Some very bad news: 2 Vandwelling Australian surfers feared dead in Mexico

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sad, sad but not surprising. I used to go to Baja, not any more. I know of to many people that have had problems. highdesertranger

It's been all over the news here for the past few days as they had left from the city I'm in, Edmonton

It said this in the article:

Dean Lucas and Adam Coleman, both 33, had been missing for over a week when the van was discovered in the state of Sinaloa -- an area known as the home of the Sinaloa drug cartel.

It doesn't matter where you are in the world, if you go to places that are known to be bad, you can't be surprised when bad things happen. And you can't blame anybody but yourself.

You certainly can't label everyplace within 1000 miles as bad.
Bob

Is it really fair to say that because bad things are happening on mainland Mexico in know areas of the drug cartels that Baja is therefore unsafe?

map-baja.jpg

everybody I know that had problems, it was in Baja. just saying. highdesertranger

mockturtle said:
Really, Bob?  Are the murderers blameless?

We all know they're not, but this situation is like going to grizzly territory and BBQing half a cow overnight. You're going to get somebody's attention, and it ain't gonna be nice. Or even boondocking in many areas of Miami, Fla. 

The situation in Mexico has gotten severe enough that many businessmen who CAN have moved their families to enclaves in the San Antonio area.

listen these guys where on their way to Guadelajara from the Baja they took the shortest route, a ferry. A tragedy occurred, we don't know what happened and likely never will.

This sort of thing happens all of the time. People die in the cities, and people die in the boondocks. There is no "SAFE" place on Earth.

All we can do is to be aware of our surroundings, and be able to see what is actually going on around us at all times so we can act appropriately.

Sticking your head in the sand is not generally a very good survival strategy.

Interesting when something happens in Mexico it get huge news coverage here, national coverage. I posted a similar incident in Orange, Ca. that didn't get the same type of coverage. Here's one from Canada http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime...e-victim-found-in-burned-vehicle-near-airdrie these both happened in the last few months. Why is something sensational when it happens in Mexico but not here or Canada ?

gramakittycat said:
The van was found ,burned with two bodies inside.

The auto in Orange, Ca. was found burned with 3 bodies inside, the auto in Canada, was burned with 1 body inside.

buckwilk said:
The auto in Orange, Ca. was found burned with 3 bodies inside, the auto in Canada, was burned with 1 body inside.

Now days there really is no safe place......SMH

Fear is a very good thing! I's a gift given to us by nature/universe/god to keep us safe. We need to embrace it and listen to it, following it's warnings.

Fear-Mongering is something men do. Usually for one of two reasons:

1) They are so full of fear themselves that they want everyone else to be afraid as well.
2) They want to control others with it.

Being fearful of traveling to Mexico is normal and healthy. It will provide the motivation you need to do your research and find ways to stay safe--like avoiding areas of know drug cartels. Allowing it to paralyze you is unhealthy and unnatural. Chances are it spills over into other areas of your life and keeps you from truly living. That's an over-generalization, but it's often true nonetheless.

Fear is good, phobia is bad and way too many Americans have slipped over the edge into phobia and in order to justify themselves they try to spread their phobias like the contagious disease it is.
Bob

buckwilk, that story is big news here in Orange County. I didn't even hear about the Mexico story until I read it here. btw the Orange County thing seems to have something to do with the Mexican drug cartels. go figure. highdesertranger

Remember that Mexican drug cartels are all over the US, too.  One was busted in a smallish  town in western WA a few years ago.  They had used an auto body shop as a front.  The difference is that, in Mexico [as told to me by a Mexican national], many of the police and elected officials are on the cartels' payrolls. A lot like the old Mafia in the 20's.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...xican-drug-cartels-are-active-within-the-u-s/

Latest posts