Some Nice Build Ideas (vid)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
I came across this you tube vid from a couple wanting to sell their van on Ebay. They really did a nice job with their quick tour of van features, and I found some unique design elements that gave me some ideas. Their folding bed / table / bench seat is especially nice with how it also incorporates so much storage. Check it out  :)

They also do a couple of both sometimes illegal and always nasty things - both urine and gray water are funneled to the ground under their van.... :mad:

I watched that video a couple of days ago with friends who are just starting to think about what vehicle will suit their needs for full timing it. Needless to say, we discussed some of the pros and cons to some of the things that are shown in the video.

I like the idea of the snaps to hold baskets in place. I've a couple of ideas to use that for.

You know I don't understand why that's such a big deal to some folks. Now if they aren't in a regular campground spot where people will be parked day after day what's the big deal about a little pee? I never in my life heard anyone say anything about a man stepping into the woods but a funnel in a van and a woman? It's ok for hikers, tent campers, etc but heaven help us if a person in any kind of car, van or RV does it. I find tossing trash or a cigarette butt down a gazillion times worse. I can't believe people will drive up into my driveway and yard and just throw down their trash butts with me standing there watching. Who do they think will have to pick it up? They only do it once. Anyway, I don't care if someone uses my trees as long as it's not right on a walkway. I don't try to restrict the multitude of raccoons, possums, birds and all the other animals from peeing on my land... Rant over, whew.... Sorry

I want to know where to get those cabinet push locks!

I solved that issue in my van using child safety latches. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever showed how I did that... but I like the push locks.

Cammalu said:
You know I don't understand why that's such a big deal to some folks.  Now if they aren't in a regular campground spot where people will be parked day after day what's the big deal about a little pee?  I never in my life heard anyone say anything about a man stepping into the woods but a funnel in a van and a woman?   It's ok for hikers, tent campers, etc but heaven help us if a person in any kind of car, van or RV does it.   I find tossing trash or a cigarette butt down a gazillion times worse.  I can't believe people will drive up into my driveway and yard and just throw down their trash butts with me standing there watching.  Who do they think will have to pick it up?  They only do it once.   Anyway, I don't care if someone uses my trees as long as it's not right on a walkway.  I don't try to restrict the multitude of  raccoons, possums, birds and all the other animals from peeing on my land...  Rant over, whew....  Sorry
I agree with you on this one, same with the grey water, I get it not to do it in someones driveway or on a city street. My grey water goes out in front of my rear wheel and I don't have any problem with brushing my teeth or rinsing a cup and letting it go wherever if I am worried I have a short square container that fits under there and I fill that and empty it next of a tree or in the bushes.I like the garage the curtains and also the snap containers

TMG51,

You can get the push/push locks at Home Depot. I have used the around the house.

Brent

Oberneldon said:
You can get the push/push locks at Home Depot. I have used the around the house.

I use HD magnet push-activated closers frequently and wouldn't recommend them for a van...just too cheaply made. When I need 4, I buy 8 because odds are I'll have bad ones. HD does also carry push/pull ones as you said, but I don't believe they are spring loaded?

I'm not sure, but I believe this is close to what was used: http://www.rockler.com/double-roller-catch-with-spring

LOL,  I wonder if they have an "Industrial Designer" in their family somewhere. 

I have to say I like it and it reminds me of a Swiss Army Knife.  But the vehicle is well thought
out and the young lady made an excellent presentation of it's features and benefits.  I'm sure
it was rehearsed a few times and even consideration to the blocking was given in the video.
(the coordination of guys appearing, as if magically, to assist or demonstrate as in the Bed or Bicycle Garage)

But it follows that anyone who could outfit a Van like that one would have the smarts to produce
a video that well crafted on Youtube as well. 

Impressive.

I put a hook and eye on each drawer in the pantry and then used the old fashioned roller latches on the cabinet doors. So far it's been good. The hooks and eyes keep the drawers from rolling open so the cabinet door has no reason to fly open as well.

Part of it is how you pack the cupboard.

I don't have doors on my cupboards and nothing falls out unless I go very fast over a very humpy railroad track.IMG_3412.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3412.jpeg
    IMG_3412.jpeg
    92.6 KB
flying kurbmaster said:
I don't have doors on my cupboards and nothing falls out unless I go very fast over a very humpy railroad track.

That's the cutest little fireplace ever.

kurbmaster, where are pictures of your build? That looks really nice, I want to see more!

I searched your name, but didn't see anything obvious. I did read your thread about a minivan going to Alaska, and it ended with you saying you'd post pics of your trip...

BradKW said:
kurbmaster, where are pictures of your build? That looks really nice, I want to see more!

I searched your name, but didn't see anything obvious. I did read your thread about a minivan going to Alaska, and it ended with you saying you'd post pics of your trip...

yeah I know, I never did follow up with the pictures, I keep thinking that I should do a build thread but it keeps changing, even these pictures are from 2012, a lot has changed since then, maybe one of these days I will do an intro and a build thread.  :)

here Brad, I loaded a few more pictures for you they are all a bit old I don't have any of that white plastic trim anymore, I made wood corners and replaced it and there many other features that have been added to enable living and driving without having to put away a lot of things. One of these days I will do a photo shoot and get a few of the details, I keep having ideas to change things so never satisfied with the old pictures. DSCN1248 (640x480).jpgDSCN1180 (640x480).jpgIMG_3319.jpegIMG_3340.jpeg

Attachments

• DSCN1248 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1248 (640x480).jpg
    327.3 KB
  • DSCN1180 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1180 (640x480).jpg
    320.2 KB
  • IMG_3319.jpeg
    IMG_3319.jpeg
    103.2 KB
  • IMG_3340.jpeg
    IMG_3340.jpeg
    97 KB
Thanks for posting the video.

That's a well thought out conversion with lots of neat little techniques. And a very clean and professional looking build!

I'm also not a big fan of dumping urine and grey water right where you happen to be camping. She makes it clear that they do this while "Satellite camping". But I know what that often means - it's likely in established dispersed camping sites where there might be someone else coming to stay the day that they leave. And then that person gets to walk around on their piss and waste.

Cammalu said:
That's the cutest little fireplace ever.

I think that is a propane furnace. I think you get them from marine outfitters. They seem to come highly recommended. However, I (obviously) can't remember any specifics or give you any links at this time. I've only seen them on line in forums like this one.

GrantRobertson said:
I think that is a propane furnace. I think you get them from marine outfitters. They seem to come highly recommended. However, I (obviously) can't remember any specifics or give you any links at this time. I've only seen them on line in forums like this one.

Thanks Grant. Wonder how much fuel it burns?

Cammalu said:
Thanks Grant. Wonder how much fuel it burns?
Again, I THINK folks have said it is pretty efficient compared to a regular RV furnace. But I figure a Buddy type propane heater is more efficient because all the heat stays inside rather than being vented out. On the other hand, all the fumes stay inside too, so you gotta crack Windows when using them.

It is a Dickenson 12000BTU they make one that is a bit smaller 9000btu this one gets 7 hours per pound of propane not super efficient, They also make a Diesel model that is much more efficient and a wood burner that all look very similar to this one. I had the diesel version on a sailboat several years ago and other then a slight smell of diesel when you light it it was great, the reason I went with propane my van is petrol and I already use propane to cook so I didn't want to have to carry another fuel, the other thing with the propane it heats up a lot faster. They are pricey to buy, well made, vented, the fan is a little loud on high but it is variable speed so you never have to run it on high in fact you hardly ever have to run it, after you warm the place up. the down side it does not have a thermostat however it is very romantic to sit in the van and watch the flames.