Solo women's studio and home on wheels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline57

Reaction score
My name is Caroline and I'm 20 years old and currently living in Michigan. I bought a 2005 Ford Econoline E-350 passenger van that I will be converting into a little artist studio and home. I named her Velma! I plan on moving into my van full time this fall when the build is done. Then I will travel, work, and spend as much time as possible outdoors. Im doing mostly everything by myself with the help of family and friends from time to time, so recommendations are welcome! I plan to build a wooden high top and install a small solar system to power a few things. I have already started to gut the interior of the van and work a little on rust, but progress has been slow because I'm currently working two jobs. My last day at my full time job is in two weeks then I will be spending all my time on Velma until she's done. I don't have the whole interior designed yet, but right now I plan on focusing on fixing all the rust, removing the rear air conditioner, and figuring out the top. This is a picture of the before! Let the work and adventure begin!

Attachments

• intro forum.jpg
    intro forum.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
Cool!!

This'll be fun to watch!

What kinda artwork do you do Caroline??

Welcome to the asylum!! :D

Hello from the Oregon Coast!

Hi Patrick, I consider drawing my main focus in art, but I also love printmaking and woodcuts, and I dabble in painting from time to time! Are you an artist also?

Welcome, Caroline! We'll be following the process with you and cheering you on!

Welcome!

Think long and hard before removing the stock interior. A lot of people make that mistake then regret it. Many wind up selling them and purchasing another one with the interior intact.

A wood high top might be on the top heavy side too. I think I'd try to find a fiberglass one in a wrecking yard if possible, might even be cheaper too.

Good Luck

Hi Caroline and welcome!

While I don't agree with OG about gutting the inside of the van, I do agree that a wooden high top will be incredibly heavy as well as difficult to build and make waterproof. Better to install a fiberglass top on to your van. If you have a choice get one that's double hull rather than a single. I've had both now and the double is way preferable. Wrecking yards most often don't realize that there is any value to them so they can be gotten fairly cheaply.

Welcome, Caroline!  If you feel like sharing I'd love to see some of your work.  Turns out the only creative gift I possess is the ability to appreciate art.    :D

Caroline57 said:
Are you an artist also?

Over 30 years now.

I'm mostly a sign guy. I work full time in a commercial sign shop, making signs for hotels and restaurants.
But I also own my own customizing shop. I do everything from original paintings and illustration work, to designing tattoos, to painting huge wall murals, to building, welding and fabricating hot-rods and choppers.
I spend most of my time doing truck lettering (both hand painted and vinyl), and I also do quite a bit of hand pinstriping and big vehicle graphics. I airbrush a lot, and do all the 'traditional' sign arts...gold & silver leafing, glass etching, and metal engraving.

I actually have 7 different businesses all lined out (complete with websites)...if I could only find the right person to oversee them all for me. (I'm a bit on the A.D.D. side, and am constantly coming up with new stuff)
I lead a very 'un-boring' life! :D

Hi Caroline,
This is so cool, you're doing at 20 y/o what we wished we did when we were 20.

Following my signature are 2 links. The first is our conversion all finished and the second is over 100 photos and captions of how we did it. It might trigger some ideas for your design.

Two things I'd like to suggest to you if I may.

1) Make sure you have enough insulation. It will not only help on cooler nights but also during hot days.

2) I would strongly suggest to figure out your floor plan before you cut the roof of the van to install the high top. Here's why: Our van came with a higher top and we realized that we could use the sections of the original roof that were not cut as shelf for storage. I'm talking about the sections on the front, above the driver and passenger seats as well as what they had left of the original roof on the back. We used the front for pantry
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...Ezl4/EWgfAzH8Tqs/s640-Ic42/DSCN0107.JPG?gl=US

and the back for our clothes.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...EzmE/41krSbqW16A/s640-Ic42/DSCN0109.JPG?gl=US

We do not need to stand up under these because the bed is under the back storage and the seats are under the front one. So to maximize your storage capacity only cut the section off the original roof where you will need to stand up. And so if you plan to have something on the floor along the side walls, do not cut to roof off above it either because this could be excellent extra storage too.

I'm not very good at explaining so I hope the photos help. If they don't let me know and I'll make a quick video of what I mean. Regardless if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. There are so many people here that will be able to help.

There will be some good and bad times doing the reno just remember those are part of the adventure.

Have fun young lady.

-Nicole

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Welcome!

Think long and hard before removing the stock interior. A lot of people make that mistake then regret it. Many wind up selling them and purchasing another one with the interior intact.

A wood high top might be on the top heavy side too. I think I'd try to find a fiberglass one in a wrecking yard if possible, might even be cheaper too.

Good Luck

Off grid- I am sure I want to remove the stock interior and it's almost already done, I just am having a really hard time with the floor bolts, I'm certainly no body builder and those things are really in there. I already have plans for the flooring and I want to insulate the walls. I did think about a fiberglass high top but I can't afford a new one and I really want to be able to stand up in it cause i often stand while drawing. And wrecking yards are few and far between. I live in what I would consider one of the secluded areas of the country. I'm relatively set on building my own and it's an e-350 so it can hold the weight. I plan on using plywood to keep it lighter also.

Almost There said:
Hi Caroline and welcome!

While I don't agree with OG about gutting the inside of the van, I do agree that a wooden high top will be incredibly heavy as well as difficult to build and make waterproof. Better to install a fiberglass top on to your van. If you have a choice get one that's double hull rather than a single. I've had both now and the double is way preferable. Wrecking yards most often don't realize that there is any value to them so they can be gotten fairly cheaply.

We really don't have much in terms of wrecking yards in the upper peninsula. I would have to drive hourssss and I really want to be able to stand up so I want it customized and I don't want to buy new. And I have some experience with making wood completely waterproof. I plan on using plywood to keep the weigh down and as for building it my brothers an engineer and worked in carpentry during college, so he's going to help me a bit. Hopefully I'm not underestimating this task!

Queen said:
Welcome, Caroline!  If you feel like sharing I'd love to see some of your work.  Turns out the only creative gift I possess is the ability to appreciate art.    :D

Hi! Yes I can share! That's a wonderful talent. I love looking at art and reading about art just as much as I love making it. You can check out my website- www.withthewind.org and look at my work there. Not all is on there some I've sold, some doesn't photograph well, but it will give you an idea. If you have any questions or anything just ask! The series I am just getting into now is incorporating hand cut 1/2 centimeter strips of maps and photographs woven together and then integrated with charcoal drawings. There's not too much of my drawing work on there even though that's what I do most. Like I said I've sold some of it and am still working on the ones I'm more excited about.

Patrick46 said:
Over 30 years now.

I actually have 7 different businesses all lined out (complete with websites)...

That's amazing! And wow I can't imagine running all that, you must be busy. I've given a few tattoos before but just to friends and free hand without a gun. So just using India ink, they have a very homemade look but last forever. And sounds like you dabble in a lot of art forms too, it's much more fun that way.

ilovemyvan said:
Hi Caroline,
This is so cool, you're doing at 20 y/o what we wished we did when we were 20.

Following my signature are 2 links. The first is our conversion all finished and the second is over 100 photos and captions of how we did it. It might trigger some ideas for your design.

Two things I'd like to suggest to you if I may.

1) Make sure you have enough insulation. It will not only help on cooler nights but also during hot days.

2) I would strongly suggest to figure out your floor plan before you cut the roof of the van to install the high top. Here's why: Our van came with a higher top and we realized that we could use the sections of the original roof that were not cut as shelf for storage. I'm talking about the sections on the front, above the driver and passenger seats as well as what they had left of the original roof on the back. We used the front for pantry
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...Ezl4/EWgfAzH8Tqs/s640-Ic42/DSCN0107.JPG?gl=US

and the back for our clothes.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...EzmE/41krSbqW16A/s640-Ic42/DSCN0109.JPG?gl=US

We do not need to stand up under these because the bed is under the back storage and the seats are under the front one. So to maximize your storage capacity only cut the section off the original roof where you will need to stand up. And so if you plan to have something on the floor along the side walls, do not cut to roof off above it either because this could be excellent extra storage too.

I'm not very good at explaining so I hope the photos help. If they don't let me know and I'll make a quick video of what I mean. Regardless if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. There are so many people here that will be able to help.

There will be some good and bad times doing the reno just remember those are part of the adventure.

Have fun young lady.

-Nicole

Thank you! I'm glad I'm doing it young too so I can spend sometime enjoying my freedom and exploring before I have kids or anything. And thank you so much for sharing I will Forsure check out your links! I'm planning to do a ton of insulation not so much for heat but forsure for the cold. I can hike 5 miles in 105 degree heat and barely sweat, but I can't feel my feet I'm so cold when it's 60 degrees. I guess growing up in the upper peninsula of Michigan didn't do anything for me there haha.

The roof advice is super good too. I had been thinking about leaving the roof about the driver and pass. Seats. But the back I should do too. And yeah I know I need to plan the interior but right now I'm working two jobs I nanny for two families and am working like 65 hours a week so once I leave my regular 9-5 nanny job in two weeks I'm going to deal with that. For now I'm just working on the rust. I'm sure I will hand TONS of questions but I'm super excited to be starting this.
-caroline

Welcome Caroline I have to disagree with the wood roof being heavy it can be made light and in the end it can be a lot lighter then a fiberglass roof.Those old fiberglass roofs do make it a little easier but they are not light. There are plenty of wooden plywood boats out there that have been in the water for years many weigh very little. In my kurbmaster I bet I could take the whole interior bed cupboards walls and all the insulation and walk down the street carrying it if it could be bundled up, and I am not a big guy. I say this over and over but few people ever take this advise but there is no need for any framing bigger then 3/4 x 1 inch, there are no 2x2 in my van, no plywood thicker then 3/16 (5mm) except the bed wich is 1/2 inch. In a van these things are not structural, build it like a boat glued and brad nailed or screwed together it will be just as strong as large wood, remember the egg how hard it is to break pressing from top to bottom. Whenever I see beds being built with 2x4s and or 3/4 inch plywood I just think what a waste of fuel. Good luck with your build it definitely does not have to be heavy to be strong. One other thing to consider when designing your roof is to have a look at the roofs of some modern wind tunnel designed cars like the Prius or most modern cars, if you can emulate the roof lines slope it up from the front and slope it back down and inward at the back you can actually improve you gas mileage something you will never get from taking an old high top off a van in the junk yard so there are advantages to doing your own, check out the " Ecomoder " web site and have a look at the ideal shape for best aerodinamics good luck with your build

flying kurbmaster said:
Welcome Caroline I have to disagree with the wood roof being heavy it can be made light and in the end it can be a lot lighter then a fiberglass roof. Those old fiberglass roofs do make it a little easier but they are not light. Good luck with  your build it definitely does not have to be heavy to be strong. One other thing to consider when designing your roof is to have a look at the roofs of some modern wind tunnel designed cars like the Prius or most modern cars, if you can emulate the roof lines slope it up from the front and slope it back down and inward at the back you can actually improve you gas mileage something you will never get from taking an old high top off a van in the junk yard so there are advantages to doing your own, check out the " Ecomoder " web site and have a look at the ideal shape for best aerodinamics good luck with your build.

Haha Thank you for your reassurance, I have been looking at boats also as a model! I don't know if I'm capable of building something super aerodynamic though.. my philosophy has always been keep it simple, Im by no means a skilled builder or engineer! I checked out the website and I can for sure see what you mean and Id imagine that would be awesome, but I just think it might be a bit beyond my skill level, Im pretty realistic about my capabilities. Im great at a lot of things, but Im not sure building aerodynamic wooden roofs for vans is one of them haha. And thank you! I need all the luck I can get!

well I will weigh in(haha). first off welcome and I am not trying to discourage you just being realistic. plywood is not lite. sure the 1ton can handle the weight pushing down but you are raising your center of gravity and a van is already top heavy. a plywood high top is going to add considerable weight up high, thus raising your center of gravity. also with the flexing that occurs with a vehicle you will need some type of ribbing(more weight). remember once you do the plywood then you have to make the whole top waterproof. what's your plan for waterproofing? I am sure with a little research you could find a used fiberglass high top. search the junk yards at the closest big city, also when there are not junk yards around usually people have the junkers in there yard. every farm or ranch has their very own junk yard. try craigslist maybe post up a wanted ad. like wanted long wheel base high top, top only. highdesertranger

Hey...you say you're a Upper??
Ha!!

Both of my parents were raised in Ironwood. Where do you call home??

well I see others have weighed in and said ply wood is lite. well how thick of plywood are you thinking of using? also for the use you are talking about I would only use marine plywood. considerably heavier and considerably more expensive. highdesertranger

Patrick46 said:
Hey...you say you're a Upper??
Ha!!

Both of my parents were raised in Ironwood. Where do you call home??

Yes I am! Born and raised! And Im from Marquette.