Solar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syfyinsanebabies

Reaction score
real solar setup 🆚 just a powerbank and panels

What makes more sense if I am literally using battery operated everything or propane appliances??

I have an idea the answer but what yall think?

[I really enjoy the chats too 😊🥰]

You need to start looking at everything electric you will use to see how many watts of electricity it uses and determine how many hours or minutes you will have it on in a 24 hour period. You will need to not only have enough power to run them during the daytime but also charge up batteries so if you use them after dark the batteries will have enough power to run them without damaging the batteries throughout the night and periods of cloudy weather.

If you get an electric system, don’t think that everything will be powered from the electrical system. Heat, hot water, and cooking will be better done from gas (i.e. propane). Electrical heating/cooking is rather inefficient. Also many things, such as lighting, can be done outside of an electrical system. Think LucyLights as an example.

I have an RV (class-B - van) and the only thing I normally run from my batteries is my 12-volt fridge. Yep - I use Lucy lights at night because I’m diabetic and my insulin must stay refrigerated. So I don’t run much at night from the batteries. My heater is propane, but does have a fan to circulate the heated air. Also if I have to go to the bath-room at night, I’ll turn on the water pump. Bascally if you don’t need it on, turn it off.

I use my iPad for entertainment when I’m RVing. I don’t charge my cell phone/iPad/etc. at night. That gets done during the day when the sun’s out.

So as was previously said - first understand what things will need electrical power.

With two kids you'll probably need a decent electrical set up to keep things running for everyone.

But during winter you'll need propane for heating and probably cooking.

real solar setup 🆚 just a powerbank and panels
The real solar setup will be cheaper for the capacity, and cheaper to fix since it isn't integrated into one unit. But you kinda need to understand how it works, too.

This may be helpful. I hope it isn't too confusing at first but just take your time reading thru it a few times. Focus on the 12 volt DC first. Then you could look at the 120 volt AC later.

Electrical System Guide for DIY Van Conversion

Here is one of many 12 volt DC appliances used by Truckers/Travelers

RoadTrucker

I agree that somethings may serve your needs better if powered by propane fuel. You may find some cooking devices powered by Butane but those may be tempermental in cold or high elevations. Butane and propane are heaver than air and will settle in low places and could be a fire/explosion hazard not to mention carbon monoxide poisoning when burning it. So you will want some good ventilation when using either.