Solar Powered EVERYTHING, including A/C and cost of the van, for under $15,000!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
Even in all my newbie-ness, I know an impressive build when I see one!  It's not the prettiest build (though it's not ugly either) but it's most definitely impressive and luxurious in amenities!

It always amazes me how far solar has come.

Back when I started dwelling, most folks had 100w of solar, maybe 200 if you were wealthy. The most you could physically fit on a van roof was maybe 3-400w.

Now, 300w single panels are available that don't cost much more than what I paid for my 100w years ago. I routinely see people today with 600w systems, and even up to 1000-1200w. And now we even have lithium batteries, which are lighter, hold more usable power, and can keep a partial charge. The only drawback for lithiums is the price, and once that goes down to AGM levels it will change the whole ballgame.

(And despite all this, I still get along with my 100w system, since it does everything I need it to do.)

I remember when solar panels became available and how expensive they were. But, like you said, as time goes by there are more advances coming faster and for less. I count myself fortunate for entering van life at this point of its history. I get to learn from the experiences of those who pioneered before me as well as start out with more for less.

I was using solar in the late 70's off-grid owner builder in Australia.

Cost more than our roof, and that was with an ex-telecom bank of 200# 2V cells bought at auction.

Latest posts