Solar panel prices

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanstu

Reaction score
Just a heads up--

Photovoltaic panels may go WAY up in price in the near future!  China controls about 80 percent of the panel market worldwide and they are made in  Xinjiang. This is the region where the CCP has built all the "reeducation" --think concentration-- camps. The world is waking up to the horrors of what is going on and there may well be a boycott of Chinese panels as well as the Olympics.  This could easily triple the cost of PV panels and make them scarce. If you are thinking about increasing or buying an array I suggest you do it soon. :exclamation:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/solar-...here-china-is-accused-of-genocide-11618147228

I seriously don't see much fluctuation in price outside the normal. And not to be argumentative but, there are a few folks that are testing alternative panel components. The tesla guy is one. He's also working on several battery options. My guess with limited reading and noting that panel prices continue to drop, they haven't scratched the surface on PV panel building.
That and a few of the top 5 manufacturers in China are now building assembly plants in the US.
A couple reference reading sites below.

https://www.renewableenergyworld.co...-pv-manufacturing-plant-opens-in-the-us/#gref

https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/best-american-solar-panel-manufacturers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_photovoltaic_power_stations

just my ol 2¢

vanstu said:
Just a heads up--

Photovoltaic panels may go WAY up in price in the near future!  China controls about 80 percent of the panel market worldwide and they are made in  Xinjiang. This is the region where the CCP has built all the "reeducation" --think concentration-- camps. The world is waking up to the horrors of what is going on and there may well be a boycott of Chinese panels as well as the Olympics.  This could easily triple the cost of PV panels and make them scarce. If you are thinking about increasing or buying an array I suggest you do it soon. :exclamation:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/solar-...here-china-is-accused-of-genocide-11618147228

If the solar tariffs didn't jack up the prices, nothing will.  And we, as a society, are too in love with our cheap products to ever boycott Chinese products, even using slave labor or child labor.

If anything the prices will stall and hover around the same level for a while, but they won't go up.

GotSmart said:
Santan Solar. .20 cents a watt.

My first Kyocera 120 watt panels were $5.00 per watt.   Still going strong.

Just bought 2 Rich Solar polycrystaline 100 watt panels for the White Whale at $83.00 each delivered.

20 cents a watt sounds too good to be true.

Panels are cheaper,  MPPT controllers are cheaper, and good lifepo4 batteries are now half the price of Battleborn batteries.   What a world!

^Oh ye of little faith................The panels you saw on Merry and Jacque's rigs are the USED SanTan specials........250W/$50

I originally bought my NEW panels in 2017 from Sun Electric in Florida....."B" Grade (cosmetic defects)........for $.50 a Watt........600W/$300

I have 1,000 w of panels I picked up to put on my barn, and 500 w as a power station on my cargo trailer. 

Look them up. Used commercial power panels by the truckload sitting in a warehouse in Phoenix.   .20 a watt.

I have a buddy that has gone by their lot a few times.  Great way to get into solar.  I would grab some myself if I was in the area.

Just keep in mind they cannot tell you how long they were used in service or what the original specs or brand of the panels were.  But even if you get a 10 year old panel it is still worth it at $0.20/W.

Anyone want to hold a couple SanTan panels for me?
Was just thinking maybe I should buy one now in case they do go up, shipping is $350! lol

I'll even hook 'em up to keep them fresh at no cost.

I cannot buh LEVE there is not a deal / place selling panels like that in South Florida

Then again I guess the Southwest is a far bigger market......then again......

Floriduh has more people living there than Arizona, NewMexico and Nevada combined.

There is a place in Florida someone posted a link a couple of days ago. Highdesertranger

I haven't found one that will sell less than pallet loads to get good prices.

And nowhere that sells used (but good) panels as cheap as in AZ.

Maybe something new has popped up?

I think abnorm stated he bought new in Florida for 50 cents a watt.

Guy about 50 miles from me has new 310 watt panels for $99.He only sells by the pallet.I only need 15,anybody want the other 10?Don't pm me.For some reason I can't respond.E mail me at [email protected].

Nomads are not hanging out in Phoenix at this time of year as the temperature is in the triple digits in that area.

ldsreliance said:
I have a buddy that has gone by their lot a few times.  Great way to get into solar.  I would grab some myself if I was in the area.

Just keep in mind they cannot tell you how long they were used in service or what the original specs or brand of the panels were.  But even if you get a 10 year old panel it is still worth it at $0.20/W.
 Yes they have some white sheet panels but most are branded with many being new. My favorites are SunPower 250, 327 and 435w. They cost more than the rest but boy are they worth every penny.

There are other sellers in the Phoenix area. i had a customer pick up 6 blemished 250 watt SunPower panels and while blemished sounds bad, they peaked out a 100 amp Victron controller at 1449 watts. Not bad for $100 panels

About Biden doing this. It's a great political move but it's just one company that make Polycrystalline silicon. The majority of panels are now made from Monocrystalline silicon. So it's not as big of a thing as you might think.