Lockable Solar Panel Lid

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pseudo_mccoy

Reaction score
(I'm not familiar with cross-post etiquette, so I hope this is alright)

I'd like to expand on an idea I brought up in william_k's thread, “Stealing Solar Panels.” As I mentioned over there, I made a lockable aluminum/polycarbonate lid for my portable solar panels. I did this for two reasons.

1) I have trust issues. However, it seems my paranoia may not be shared by the community on this one. It seems everyone in the other thread thinks no thief would have the gall or ability to unbolt and remove a solar panel from a vehicle. That's a fine view to take on the subject. It just doesn't suit me. Or at least it didn't suit me back when I made the thing. If I could go back, I'm not sure I'd do it again. All the same, I'm writing this in the event that someone could perhaps use/improve the design.

2) I wanted to be able to open the lid, take out the panels, set them in the sun, and park in the shade. Great for boondocking, right? Not so great for where I'm at currently, though. For urban environments, I wanted to be able to secure the panels to my van. Lastly, I wanted to be able to remove everything (super stealth mode ftw!). The whole thing is mounted to rain gutters, so I should be able to manage that, except I'd have to undo some red loctite to do so. I've never done that. Is it hard?

Ok, so I needed a lid that can both swing up as well as lock down. I used u-bolts and bike locks to make this happen. As you can see in the pictures below, the lid is held to the safari rack by two u-bolts on the forward facing side. The rear facing side has the bike locks.

Bob brought up a good point when he mentioned that the lid could cause heat to build up and degrade the panels' output. I checked with my good buddy, google, and of course he's right. Here's what I came up with:

“...heat is probably not going to break a panel. However, the loss of efficiency for a specific panel can be found using something called a temperature coefficient or "Pmax." (http://www.civicsolar.com/resource/how-h...ficiency). This is supposedly provided by the manufacturer.
I'm terrible at math, but the article I linked gives an easy example for one of their panels. It says that for every degree (Celsius) the temperature increases, the panels' efficiency decreases by about half a percent. I won't really understand what that means until I run the numbers for myself.”

Another bad thing about this design is that the polycarbonate (lexan) sheet itself reduces the panel's efficiency by something like 20%. I'm hoping that this is OK because the panels are 120 watts but I have only 70 ah of batteries. Here's my reasoning: Let's say the heat and lexan together account for a 30% efficiency loss. That means up to 84 watts are still reaching my little battery bank, right? Since we're supposed to have a roughly 1:1 ratio between panel and battery, I think I'm in the clear.

I took these pictures this morning on my way to the library. Ever since I landed in the pacific northwest, I've been worried about the constant cloud cover, so when the sun miraculously made an appearance, I pulled over immediately to try (for the first time) to reposition my panels and catch all the rays I could. Unfortunately, I could tell this drew some attention. One guy in a car pulled up right beside me and openly stared at me. I waved. He waved, then left. It was encouraging to know folks are concerned about a scruffy dude trying to pull a solar panel off a van : ) This might support those who think a thief could not get away with it, but who knows if anyone would actually take action. Also, I think several vehicle dwellers made a pass to check me out. I wasn't aware the area was in use by fellow dwellers. Had I known, I would have picked a different spot to work.

IMG_20141105_084242_2.jpg
IMG_20141105_084225_2.jpg
IMG_20141105_084258_2.jpg
IMG_20141105_084410_2.jpg
IMG_20141105_084840_2.jpg

Overall, I was a little disappointed at how long it took me to jimmy the thing open and pull out the panels. By the time I managed to get them mostly off, the sun was gone. But that was ok because I took the opportunity to clean/service the apparatus, which it needed.

Attachments

• IMG_20141105_084242_2.jpg
    IMG_20141105_084242_2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20141105_084225_2.jpg
    IMG_20141105_084225_2.jpg
    876.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20141105_084258_2.jpg
    IMG_20141105_084258_2.jpg
    1,021.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20141105_084410_2.jpg
    IMG_20141105_084410_2.jpg
    733.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20141105_084840_2.jpg
    IMG_20141105_084840_2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
I tend to believe that the people checking you out were looking at your unique set-up. Many people know about solar panels, but don't see them installed on vehicles very much. They were probably just very curious. When I was at the beach, people stopped and looked at my portable set-up and there is nothing special about it.

I think that you have done a good job addressing your concerns about theft. If it eases your mind, then it is worth whatever else comes up. There is always something else to learn such as the issue with the lid decreasing efficiency. But I am sure that you will figure that out as well.

I like the idea of painting the silver parts black to match the rack.

In your last picture, you can see that the raised cover is casting a shadow across your solar panels. I guarantee you that that is degrading the amount of electricity the panel could be providing, probably by a lot more than you think.

Do you have any way to measure the panels output?

Wait for a bright, sunny day and take measurements with and without the lexan cover, with and without the shadow, flat vs elevated, etc. You might be surprised.

Regards
John

Bela's Mom - I'm glad that someone else gets it : ) Peace of mind is what it'll all about. That and versatility.

Optimistic Paranoid - I have a multimeter. That's a great idea to test it. I'm a complete noob with anything electrical. Should I set the multimeter to volts or something else like amps?

If you do not know the difference between volts and amps stick to volts on the multimeter. To measure amps correctly the meter has to be placed in series with the circuit.

If you use the amp setting and use the meter like measuring voltage you introduce a virtual short circuit which is not good for the meter and, I suspect, not good for the solar panel and possibly the downstream electronics.

Having said that I'm not sure what you would want to measure. Not a solar panel SME. Disconnecting the panel and measuring volts maybe the best option, although using a known load across the output would increase accuracy.

Does anyone permanently meter the solar panel output for volts and amps? Seems like a good idea.

There was a time I was clueless about the properties of electricity. Took awhile to figure out why the insulation on the thin wire I used to hookup an ammeter to a car melted; not to mention all the sparks. Sometimes you just gotta RTFM.

I was curious about that. It made sense to me to have a lockable glass panel, but I wasn't sure if that would affect the level of light getting to the panels.

But then my vehicle's roof is a lot lower than a van. Anyone walking by can look over and see what's up there. Seems like a safer deal on top of a van.

The sun came out a few minutes ago so I took optimistic paranoid's advice and dusted off the ol' multimeter. I'm not sure what setting to use so I just went with volts.

Both with and without the lid, at the same flat angle, the voltage read between 13-14 volts. I couldn't tell a difference.