Solar Panel cost

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arizonatruck

Reaction score
I have been emailed back and forth with a solar and wind place based out of flagstaff, az. For about $400 they have a kit with a 140 volt panel, 30 foot of wire (which, even for a large trailer like mine, is overkill), pwm charge controller, panel mounts and some connects for batteries. Does this sound like a decent price? I would like to get an mppt, but the mppt units that I saw were about $250.

sl1966 said:
Check these guys out .. the weight, output, and price makes them worth it ...

http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr/page_106_43/s-gs100_solar_panel_kit.html

Sorry, meant to link you to this also ...
http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr/page_42_17/tri-metric_2025-a.html

And these guys ...

http://www.infinigi.com/

I don't believe I saw a charge controller there. Still looks pricy, considering that I can get a 120W panel, dual battery 20A charge controller, and wiring for a tad over $200. The brackets are easy to make and, for that price, I could even afford a coupla deep cycle 12 batteries. ..Willy.

Willy said:
I don't believe I saw a charge controller there. Still looks pricy, considering that I can get a 120W panel, dual battery 20A charge controller, and wiring for a tad over $200. The brackets are easy to make and, for that price, I could even afford a coupla deep cycle 12 batteries. ..Willy.
Where can you get that panel and controller for that price?

Willy said:
I don't believe I saw a charge controller there. Still looks pricy

It's in the store on the bottom link. You'd have to look for what they stock and prices. The panels are a little pricey yes. I was looking for best power output/low weight solution when those were recommended.

sl1966 said:
It's in the store on the bottom link. You'd have to look for what they stock and prices. The panels are a little pricey yes. I was looking for best power output/low weight solution when those were recommended.

Which store, the cheaprvliving store?

arizonatruck said:
Which store, the cheaprvliving store?

I know there's a lot product to be had for cheaper out there. Since I'm new to all these brands I'm relying on customer reviews. I look for primarily longevity and customer satisfaction. Not just that it worked without issues for them, but more when it didn't work and how the company resolved the issue. I've been left high and dry too many times when I skimped in the past.

Jim_Rockford said:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sola...1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1392001951&sr=1-1

lotta talk about there being cheaper and alot better than the harbor freight panels

We've had 2 friends who got this kit and were very pleased. One had a problem with the factory (cable to panel) connectors, but once those were replaced with solid connections everything was fine.
I liked the frame since it looked pretty substantial. Overall, I'd say it was a good value from what I could tell.

bindi&us said:
We've had 2 friends who got this kit and were very pleased.

Wait, what did you get and why? Each person's criteria is different and the prices can affect those choices. This goes for everyone whose posted in this thread as well. It's important to me at the very least.

sl1966 said:
Wait, what did you get and why? Each person's criteria is different and the prices can affect those choices. This goes for everyone whose posted in this thread as well. It's important to me at the very least.

The kit was mentioned in the post I quoted...
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sola...1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1392001951&sr=1-1

Those we know who got them were vandwellers with single 12V house battery powering simple lighting and device charging mostly.
It was simply my impression of a product I'd seen in use that someone had pointed out here.

bindi&us said:
The kit was mentioned in the post I quoted...

Those we know who got them were vandwellers with single 12V house battery powering simple lighting and device charging mostly.
It was simply my impression of a product I'd seen in use that someone had pointed out here.

I didn't read said post. My apologies. My post wasn't meant so much a challange so much as a call for more info. Yeah, I know I suck at diplomacy too.

bindi&us said:
We've had 2 friends who got this kit and were very pleased. One had a problem with the factory (cable to panel) connectors, but once those were replaced with solid connections everything was fine.
I liked the frame since it looked pretty substantial. Overall, I'd say it was a good value from what I could tell.

I would like at least a 1.4 kw system, but that's gonna be expensive. With the one you mentioned, I could do it for less than $2K. The system I looked at, I would estimate it would be about double that.

I wonder about the reliability of systems for sale through amazon. The dual band radio I purchased works great, but came with a chinsy rubber duck antenna.

I bought the 70 watt Renogy panel, 30 amp Renogy controller and 30' 10 awg solar cable from Amazon. Renogy has good reviews on their products and a 25 year warranty on their panels. I did not buy a kit because I was setting mine up differently. I also found some 30 amp fuses with 10 awg wire on them at Amazon which I could not find in any automotive store around here. All had 12 awg on a 30 amp fuse holder. I am running 10 awg through the whole system. I know that the 30 amp controller may be overkill but I plan on adding another panel and it has the correct charging voltages for my AGM battery, which was a big consideration for me. I have portable stands for the panels so I can move them where I want them. I got the best I could for my budget while still getting what I need. I'm looking forward to getting it all set up. Later I will add another 70 watt panel for 140 watts. I have a generator for cloudy days. I have read so much about solar, watts, amps, voltage, wire size, etc, etc. my brain turned to mush but I finally figured out what I needed and am hoping that it will work out like I planned. Will let you all know by Friday. LOL.

Anxious to hear, I've been looking at the same company.

Bela said:
I bought the 70 watt Renogy panel, 30 amp Renogy controller and 30' 10 awg solar cable from Amazon. Renogy has good reviews on their products and a 25 year warranty on their panels. I did not buy a kit because I was setting mine up differently. I also found some 30 amp fuses with 10 awg wire on them at Amazon which I could not find in any automotive store around here. All had 12 awg on a 30 amp fuse holder. I am running 10 awg through the whole system. I know that the 30 amp controller may be overkill but I plan on adding another panel and it has the correct charging voltages for my AGM battery, which was a big consideration for me. I have portable stands for the panels so I can move them where I want them. I got the best I could for my budget while still getting what I need. I'm looking forward to getting it all set up. Later I will add another 70 watt panel for 140 watts. I have a generator for cloudy days. I have read so much about solar, watts, amps, voltage, wire size, etc, etc. my brain turned to mush but I finally figured out what I needed and am hoping that it will work out like I planned. Will let you all know by Friday. LOL.

I purchased my panels and controller from AMsolar, most other things elsewhere. AMsolar panels are smaller per watt than most available, and that made them fit better on the roof of my motorhome. (Big roof, lots of stuff sticking out already.) The Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 has an ethernet interface that you can look at a web page for stats on what your solar system is doing. 60 amp controller is overkill for my 450 watts of panels.