Solar output during non peak hours

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SternWake said:
Put a large load on the batteries more than what the panels are capable of.  if the controller is in float already, the load will have to be big enough to drop battery voltage below the set float voltage.  At that point the controller will take everything the panels can make and your controller display should show it.

Think inverter powering an Angle grinder or something. That is about 50 to 65 amps if the grinder is actually grinding

Without an inverter, I'm not sure I have anything to put that large a load on the system. If I turned on the fan, radio, all lights, plugged in two iPads, fridge... I might be able to pull 15 amps. Lol

Seraphim said:
Without an inverter, I'm not sure I have anything to put that large a load on the system. If I turned on the fan, radio, all lights, plugged in two iPads, fridge... I might be able to pull 15 amps. Lol

Why not just unhook your panels from the controller for a few days and let the battery state of charge drop down to 50% or so before hooking things back up?  That way you should at lest see the bulk stage cut in.

Regards
John

I thought about that John. Would it be safe to the system to just disconnect the fuse between the panel's and the controller?