Solar noob with upcoming plunge

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! I am a solar noob and trying to figure out how much I need to add to our build. I have an 18' RV. We will have the following:

*RV fridge (also runs on propane)
*2 gaming laptops for video editing - possible an iMac for editing
*camera batteries to charge
*charge cell phones 
*LED lights
*possible RV air conditioning, but I do know this is a big draw

I was thinking of going with 400W, but a system that would upgrade to 600W later. I would also like to use a pure sine inverter because of the electronics. Can you recommend specific bits needed, please? But also something somewhat easy to instal (did I mention I was a noob). 

Thanks in advance!

I'm more of an experienced noob. I have generated my own power from the sun before. I refer to that time of my life as the time I was a solar farmer. Sounds a lot better than I was homeless living on a sailboat.

Do you have the fridge already? Do you know the wattage of all the devices? Such as the laptops use 90w chargers and are used 4 hours a day each... etc.

even with 600 watts you are a long ways off from running the AC or the refrigerator. here's what you need to do, this will also help you get going with understanding all this,

1. add up all your electrical usage
2. size your battery bank according to usage.
3. size your solar to the battery bank.

try to run everything off 12v. you can get 12v adaptors for most laptops and phones.

remember every conversion has losses try to minimize conversions.
all inverters have losses of 10-30%.

it is always easier and cheaper to conserve power. rather then make more. you are now the power company.

so go to step one and make a list of electrical appliances and their power consumption. if you need help that's what we do.

highdesertranger

If stationary, run the fridge on propane. The 12V side is for when traveling (engine running) as it will not work when the voltage drops below charging voltage (at least mine is this way) and it draws a LOT of power. Just keep the rig level when parked.

600 watts is not enough for an air conditioner.

400 watts is a nice sized system and should work well with what you want to run (short of fridge and A/C).

I'm also a solar newb, started about a year ago.

Ignore the power ratings on your various devices, and measure your real power usage.

Contact your local library or electricity company, and you can often borrow a "kill-a-watt" meter to measure with. If you can't borrow one, it's worth buying one.
Test under "normal" and "extreme" loads, particularly your laptops. Start with "normal", just plug each into the meter, and run it for at least an hour, ideally a few times. The meter shows the cumulative power used. The meter typically has one or two buttons that let you toggle between display of different measurements. It's really easy to use. :)

Both of my laptops use much less than half what their documentation claims, and that's even under fairly intense usage. :)

I've used each of an inverter, and a universal laptop car charger (DC to DC).
Both laptops seem "happier" running DC-to-DC (i.e. produce less heat and just seem smoother). That's even more important than the power savings, IMO. :)

I don't have a fridge, and have minimal other electrical uses (lights, portable DVD player, an old cheap tablet, flip-cell-phone).
With "only" 200 watts of solar, I've yet to drop below 84% on my batteries, even after 3 days of back-to-back drizzle/rain, and about 12+ hours single laptop use per day.

Measure yourself and be sure. :)
When you install, try to allow room for more panel(s) in the future, if practical, but don't stress out over it. You're going to have a learning curve, no matter what you do. :)

Thank you all! I will start to figure out the actual usage. I love the idea of borrowing a kill a watt meter. I figured the AC was not really an option, and I may not even miss it. I feel like such a noob with the entire rig's system. For example, I am considering do I even want to keep the toilet and have to deal with tanks, or just do the bucket method. So many questions. Good thing I was raised by an awesome dad who had us primitive camping in a tepee when I was little. We are not afraid of a challenge :-D

You probably have "shore power", so if you ever really need a/c, you could pop into a pay park with hookups.

Start with what you have. There's rarely a need to rush the "big" decisions. Take small steps.
There's nothing as good as experimenting to find out what you really need & want.
Good luck! :)

Forget the A/C unit.

Everything else should work OK on 400 to 600 watts, assuming your fridge is running on propane.

During the day, you can probably run all of those other items, but at night, running on battery power, you will want to cut back a bit on the computers.

A typical RV has a few 24/7 'phantom loads', such as the fridge electronics, water heater electronics, thermostat/furnace electronics, propane detector, any USB charging ports, radio and/or TV standby, monitor panel electronics, then of course occasional use of the water pump and lights...etc..

You will also need to consider roof mount or portable panels. I prefer a combination of both.

before you start ripping stuff out keep in mind in some areas you must have the waste tanks. I am not saying you must use them but they must be there. highdesertranger

I would rather mess with the stinky slinky every couple of weeks than a bucket but to each their own.

Stinky Slinky, haha. I'm also older now (when did that happen!!), and having a bathroom in the middle of the night is not the worst thing.

I agree, tx2sturgis, that a combo of mounted and flex would be ideal. Not least in the summer when it would be better to park in the shade.

That is what I have, two hundred on the roof and 200 flexible for putting out when needed. I use a 10Ga 50 foot electrical cord for my portables. In the winter, I can hang the portables from the awning to get that great morning sun.