Solar, lighting and more.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patd4u2, that's really helpful! Thanks! I think I'll still be gunning for greater coverage overall. I did just check how much shipping would be on those panels and from the US to Canada it's $82.67 for one panel or $98.65 for three when you can ship to anywhere in the US for free. Shipping from the US to Canada can sometimes be disproportionately expensive  :s 

jimindenver, I think I understand what you're saying. Basically everywhere that's saying mono "perform better" in low light is a bit moot because the drop off is more rapid and its perfomance in that instance is gauged by the voltage being output, not the amperage. I see a lot of people using mono on first time conversions. Would it be fair to say that they have perhaps been led astray or are there still some scenarios where mono is the optimal choice?

I feel like I'm getting really close now though thanks to you guys! One more thing that just crossed my mind is battery location. Once I have the van it'll be way easier to think about. Currently my thoughts are; Can the house batteries be installed beneath one of the seats? Would it be worth recessing them into the floor say near the back of the van? If they were on one side of the van at the rear for instance, would that weight all on one side be adverse?

Cheers!

Glad your finding the suggestions for your system helpful, that is what is good about these forums, When you have a question about something you will get multiple answers with different ideas, You just have to choose which one is best for you.
I was set on putting my solar panels on the roof of the trailer I am building until I watched one of Bob's videos, One gentle man has his panels on a long extension chord that he can put out in the sun while keeping his trailer in the shade, I thought that a better setup for my trailer, I wont have to have the trailer out in the sun and have to keep re-positioning the trailer to follow the sun, so I changed my build plans.
Good luck with your build.

The idea of parking in the sun is just one of many reasons that I no longer use roof mounted or big solar panels.

I have individual solar powered lanterns, a battery charger, a bug zapper, and more, all of which manage to stay charged be placing them near a window while parked in the shade. For some reason the smaller items only seem to need daylight, and not sunshine to charge just fine.

My house battery is charged while driving, and I have a backup generator for prolonged boondocking.

Vanada said:
Patd4u2, that's really helpful! Thanks! I think I'll still be gunning for greater coverage overall. I did just check how much shipping would be on those panels and from the US to Canada it's $82.67 for one panel or $98.65 for three when you can ship to anywhere in the US for free. Shipping from the US to Canada can sometimes be disproportionately expensive  :s 

jimindenver, I think I understand what you're saying. Basically everywhere that's saying mono "perform better" in low light is a bit moot because the drop off is more rapid and its perfomance in that instance is gauged by the voltage being output, not the amperage. I see a lot of people using mono on first time conversions. Would it be fair to say that they have perhaps been led astray or are there still some scenarios where mono is the optimal choice?

I feel like I'm getting really close now though thanks to you guys! One more thing that just crossed my mind is battery location. Once I have the van it'll be way easier to think about. Currently my thoughts are; Can the house batteries be installed beneath one of the seats? Would it be worth recessing them into the floor say near the back of the van? If they were on one side of the van at the rear for instance, would that weight all on one side be adverse?

Cheers!

If your going to have your battery under your front seat or inside the van for that matter I would get a sealed AGM battery as they do not vent hydrogen gas when they are charging, unless you make a sealed box with a vent to the outside then you would be safe using flooded batteries. I wouldn't think the weight would make to much of a difference where you place it in the van. but that's my IMO.

Patd4u2 said:
If your going to have your battery under your front seat or inside the van for that matter I would get a sealed AGM battery as they do not vent hydrogen gas when they are charging, unless you make a sealed box with a vent to the outside then you would be safe using flooded batteries. I wouldn't think the weight would make to much of a difference where you place it in the van. but that's my IMO.

Yeah, if I was going for beneath the seat I'd try to vent it somehow. Equally I'd need to do the same if I have a battery box in the rear somewhere. The only real advantage to having it beneath the seat is that there would be a small bit of space saving.

Vanada said:
Yeah, if I was going for beneath the seat I'd try to vent it somehow. Equally I'd need to do the same if I have a battery box in the rear somewhere. The only real advantage to having it beneath the seat is that there would be a small bit of space saving.

Just remember that unless you are using sealed batteries, you are going to need regular, EASY access to them to check & replenish the water and test the cells with a hydrometer.  Design their location accordingly.

Regards
John

Amps to watts ratio, those should be a good match for 300 watts. What they are getting for them is obscene.

The two terminals I would suggest against. There is a possibility that they could be shorted out and this isn't a 9v battery you touch to your tongue to see if it has juice. It would be better to run wiring off of the battery to access points that you can plug into.

There are simple kits to get you going. Portables that are clipped to the battery, set in the sun and eventually mounted if you like. There are kits for mounting too, it doesn't have to be hard especially when you have a group of people that understand solar from the cutest solar lantern to systems that could power the RTR and more.

jimindenver said:
Amps to watts ratio, those should be a good match for 300 watts. What they are getting for them is obscene.

The two terminals I would suggest against. There is a possibility that they could be shorted out and this isn't a 9v battery you touch to your tongue to see if it has juice. It would be better to run wiring off of the battery to access points that you can plug into.

There are simple kits to get you going. Portables that are clipped to the battery, set in the sun and eventually mounted if you like. There are kits for mounting too, it doesn't have to be hard especially when you have a group of people that understand solar from the cutest solar lantern to systems that could power the RTR and more.

If you want to see obscene, you should see what Crappy Tire is pricing solar panels out at.... :rolleyes:

Something like $5. +/- Cdn per watt and they're not even portable panels, they're aimed at the off the grid S&B. Oh, and we pay 13% sales tax on them on top of it.

Vanada, for Cdn batteries, they are okay for learning on. CTC branded batteries are house brand and could be made by any Chinese import company around.

Personally, I prefer to shop US and make a run across the border for a camping weekend, picking up my purchases at a Kinekpoint location when I'm not travelling in the US. I get better prices, low cost free shipping, no 13% HST AND a W/M shopping trip out of it.... :D

Thanks guys!

I think I'll take that advice Almost There, stop being so lazy and shop around a bit more with a border run in mind. ;)

Vanada said:
Thanks guys!

I think I'll take that advice Almost There, stop being so lazy and shop around a bit more with a border run in mind. ;)

Even though I'm almost 7 hours driving time from the border and given the exhorbitant prices of Cdn gas, I can still save money on a cross border camping weekend since a lot of US suppliers offer free shipping to US addresses. Kinekpoint locations usually only charge $5.00 per shipment received and will hold packages for up to 30 days.

Remember that EACH person in the vehicle has an $800. Cdn duty free allowance after 48 hours stay in the US.

If you want more particulars on how to safely bring items over the border, feel free to PM me... :D

I've been doing border crossings for 40 years now!!

if it's for 2 that's a great buy. if it's for 1 omg. stuff is really expensive in TGWN. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
if it's for 2 that's a great buy.  if it's for 1 omg.  stuff is really expensive in TGWN.  highdesertranger

It's for 1 :(

Is there somewhere in the US that does them cheap enough to be worth the difference after exchange rate, shipping, duties and border run? Sometimes I feel like it's worth paying a little more just to buy locally with less hassle.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I paid less than that for two GC2s.

-- Spiff

Where from might I ask?

For some reason a lot of the good deals are alluding me until I know how to search for them. Over-reliance on the internet perhaps?

This is their site by the way. No prices but they stock MPPT controllers, inverters etc. so if nothing else it could be a one-stop shop. According to online reviews they're very helpful in store which is as valuable as anything to a dunce such as myself ;). Equally, money saved...
http://buyabattery.com/

Vanada said:
Where from might I ask?

Sam's Club:  US$83.00 each + $10 core charge each; or they required four car batteries if you didn't have two deep cycle batteries to exchange.

-- Spiff