Solar kit, 400W, $1,100, Costco

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flailer

Reaction score
Hi all you learned ones ~  

I thought I'd point out that Costco is offering Grape (brand) solar system, normally $1,400 for $1,100.   Must order it online.  

I am not sure of the quality, functionality, or value of this system.  There are lower and higher power systems also available.  Perhaps someone else here has insight to this manufacture & system? 

link to system, specs, accessories, etc:  
http://www.costco.com/Grape-Solar-400-Watt-Off-Grid-Solar-Panel-Kit.product.100049288.html

p.s. somewhere there is a video on this system, but it is prolly a sales job anyway. 

I'm not sure about what those cables would cost, but the other items add up to about 1059.00 before taxes and shipping were applicable pieced out.

so not sure this is all that great of a deal, but it is a nice package.

Nice that they tell you up front you would need a battery to use the inverter. Add what? $100.00 for a usable battery but of course at 2000 Watts and if you intend to use say even 75% of that, you need a whole lot more than a $100.00 deep cycle marine battery and suitable large cables.

I couldn't find the maker of anything, panels, charge controller, or invertor. seems kinda expensive if these are cheap items. highdesertranger

[font='Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]First off, 4 p[font='Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]olycrystalline[/font] panels will take up a lot of real estate on your roof and be heavy (~ 17-20 lbs each).[/font]

[font='Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Second, you can get newer technology (Monocrystalline) for ~$620 (without inverter):[/font]
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IC6CSW2?psc=1

[font='Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Charge controller is a little better than the Renogy one in the kit above, still PWM.  With that much solar, you should start thinking about MPPT controllers.[/font]

[font='Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Inverter is big (1800 watts) and expensive (~$400).  Unless you are running a lot of 120 volt stuff, you can get smaller inverters for 1/4 the price.  You will need a large battery bank for a big inverter.[/font]

[font='Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Didn't see anything about mounting hardware.[/font]

[font='Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]You should have ~100 amphours battery capacity for each 100W solar (just a rule of thumb, not necessary).[/font]

[font='Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Grape is a commodity supplier with good quality, Xantex is a well known brand of battery monitors, don't know anything about their other stuff.[/font]

[font='Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]IMO with a little research, you can do better.[/font]

-- Spiff

If you have the energy you can shop around and find better, if you don't, those are good items at a fair price.

1) Two grid tie 250w panels - $375
2) Midnite Solar Kid Charge Controller - $325
3) Used inverter, I'd stick with PSW but if you go MSW that'll be even cheaper - $50-$250 depending on your needs.
4) Misc breakers, boxes, and cables - $150

This would be a KICK ASS system and run you $1,000 - $1,200 but would require a little hunting around.

Xantrex did make a quality product, but now have a bad reputation. It is cheap for a PSW inverter.

You can get a 200w kit for $300 shipped and the kits go up from there on ebay. A 400w kit with a 1500w inverter is $759 shipped. Just plug whatever wattage you seek and "kit" into ebay and see what you find.

I prefer TucsonAZ approach but it does require enough understanding to know why this component goes with that one. 500w is a lot of power, enough so that we couldn't use it all and believe me, we tried. I researched a year before making my first set up and I'm still researching while making my final system. Kits are nice for the ease and they make the choices for you but are they the right choices? Your research is trying it out and seeing if it works for you. You will also find that generally that the components such as the controller are fairly low end, the wiring thinner than optimal, etc.

jimindenver said:
You can get a 200w kit for $300 shipped and the kits go up from there on ebay. A 400w kit with a 1500w inverter is $759 shipped. Just plug whatever wattage you seek and "kit" into ebay and see what you find.

I prefer TucsonAZ approach but it does require enough understanding to know why this component goes with that one. 500w is a lot of power, enough so that we couldn't use it all and believe me, we tried. I researched a year before making my first set up and I'm still researching while making my final system. Kits are nice for the ease and they make the choices for you but are they the right choices? Your research is trying it out and seeing if it works for you. You will also find that generally that the components such as the controller are fairly low end, the wiring thinner than optimal, etc.

This is the system i decided on for my Campervan its a bit more than the Costco one but the makes are well known and the seller is one of the best around

http://www.solar-electric.com/solar...cessories/prsy/rvandsmbasoc/rvmakitwi630.html

Like 1977dodge, I also got my stuff from NAWS....top notch seller.

dodge, those 320 watt panels are HUGE though...I thought my 270 watt were big at 39.5 inches wide.

IGBT said:
Like 1977dodge, I also got my stuff from NAWS....top notch seller.

dodge, those 320 watt panels are HUGE though...I thought my 270 watt were big at 39.5 inches wide.

Another reason i like that kit is that it will also work for me if i go into a small cabin.

Yes the Renogy equipment is very reliable and reasonable price i have been very pleased with my
experimental system of 100 watt panel and Tracer Charge Controller
the Renogy chargers though MPPT are partly PWM when they are going into absorb but i dont think that will hurt anything 
i plumped for the NAWS setup because it was ideal for my current needs with the capacity to upgrade if i needed more power 
without changing a lot of parts .

All MPPT charge controllers go into PWM for absorb and float. They do this for two reasons. First the purpose of MPPT is to get the most out of your array and get the voltage of your battery up as fast as possible. It does this faster than PWM because in PWM you are limited to the voltage of the battery and the excess voltage/ watts is wasted when the battery is low. In absorb and float the batteries voltage is already high enough that you are not loosing power and even if you could produce more power, the battery can't take it anyways.

Kits are great but the extra you pay for is the knowledge of what to put together. I'll have less than $1500 into my 750w system once installed. The charge controller cost more than the panels but that's the way it goes.

I recommend you call Renogy in Calif. (800) 330-8678  (tell em Jay sent ya)
Good prices and great panels...can't beat their customer service and tech support.

I think you can beat Cosco prices and have a great system by checking further.

Do you really need an inverter that big?? 
(sorry, I didn't read entire thread)

BTW....Renogy does ship free when you order direct from them.
Got my order on the morning of the 3rd day.
(have also installed them on 3 friend's vans)

Last I looked eBay was cheaper than Amazon. Sales rep will give you the lowest price.

Latest posts