Solar "Generator"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebuild

Reaction score
I know, I know, these are misleading propaganda and all that. However...

Why is everyone so completely down on this entire class of products? I sure would love to be able to get some advice from this bunch besides "don't get one" because there are several ways in which they appeal to me, and there seems to be a tremendous difference from one to the other. It's hard to know what to look for. But when they get brought up it seems the only answer is "don't."  

The main draw for me is size/weight.  It seems to me a good solar generator (I will use that term despite its possible inaccuracy because that's what they're called in the marketplace) can replace multiple other things I am carrying. I have what is known as a small gas generator, mainly to have power when there's no sun, or to charge my bus battery if it becomes necessary. It weighs 45 lbs., and occupies a 2 foot long space. This isn't really small, and its 18 inch height makes the weight seem like more because, at 5 feet tall, picking it up is a real endeavor. It is also WICKED loud, despite being advertised as quiet. By contrast, the Kodiak is about 20 lbs. and very much smaller.  It can accomplish the same things as the gas generator, that is, I can use it to power things if there's no sun (can be charged from a wall socket) and I can charge my truck battery with it. It is actually easier to use for this second purpose, as I can carry it to the front of the bus so easily. It can also be expanded by connecting additional batteries to it. Downside, it takes longer to charge from the wall than a gas generator takes to fill with gas. Upside, I don't have to fill it with gas. In addition, I have 2 batteries that weigh about 50 lbs. and also occupy a chunk of space, plus an inverter. . I also like the simplicity of one device that functions as battery and inverter. 

Of course, the Kodiak is WAAAAY out of my price range. It's also more than I need. I've seen some cheap little ones that actually seem OK, but they can receive power from only one panel, which can't be higher than 120. I have 2 panels, with a total of 300w. Goal Zero has the right size, but it is also too expensive. 

So here is my question: is anyone out there using a little marvel of a solar generator they got for a reasonable price that functions well and can handle input from multiple panels? I'm talking under $500? Currently I've determined that a diy build is the only road open unless I can afford the Kodiak (which I can't). But I wonder whether there is anything else to look at.

I was unfamiliar with the kodiak solar generator so I did a quick search. The model they list for $1500 does have a lithium battery so that's a plus. It's a 90AH battery though. So I'd say that's a disadvantage. I did not see if it said the inverter was pure sine wave or modified sine wave so if its modified that's a disadvantage. At 90AH and from what I understand about lithium batteries you can usually use all of the rated AH and not just half the rating like with a lead acid battery so that's an advantage. 

If your only concern is being able to charge your starting battery and you already have panels, a charge controller, and 2 house batteries why not add a dual sensing relay aka dual sensing battery Isolator for around $130 that will charge the house batteries while the vehicle is running and charge the starting batteries when there is solar and the starting battery voltage drops. There was also a review of a ryobi 900/700 watt propane generator that weighed I believe 24 pounds for around $300 that way you could easily move it around. You could add an AC  battery charger and run it off of the generator if there was no sun. That would be around your $500 budget depending on how much a battery charger costs or if you already have one.

In my opinion these solar generators are a great idea but just arent beefy enough for most peoples everyday use. My two cents.

Will Prowse uses one of the Jackery units for supplemental power.

XERTYX said:
In my opinion these solar generators are a great idea but just arent beefy enough for most peoples everyday use. My two cents.

Kodiak is pure sine. If you look on YouTube there are a lot of reviews of the Kodiak, and it seems pretty great.  I suspect it's the only one that can really do what needs to be done, but I figured I would ask.

First off, I don't have one but here are the reasons we advise against buying one:

For $1,500 you can assemble a much better source of power.

They actually don't generate power so you still have to have a source of power to recharge the battery be it solar, a generator or shore power.

The 90 A/H lithium battery is actually a small amount of power. Yes, you can discharge a lithium battery down lower than a lead acid battery but it's still way small for anyone using it for anything more than keeping their laptop/cell phone etc charged up.

In a lot of units (didn't check this one) the battery is NOT replaceable. When the battery is toast, so is the whole unit...way expensive for a 'disposable' item.

Summary: overpriced, under powered and NOT a generator of power. It's a glorified battery pack with a bunch of outlets built in.

I concur with almost there. If you already have a solar setup but want more power and have a $500 budget I think you could upgrade what you have and come out better than trying to find a $500 solar "generator " I'm sure these are great as a backup as was mentioned or for a family of 2 just camping for the weekend. It's certainly compact to be stored away until the next camping trip. But if every day is a camping trip I doubt youd be happy with it unless it was only for charging your phone and running LED lights.

The initial marketing is hurting this emerging market segment. Yes, a dual golf cart battery system, but even that is only going to get you a bit over 90ah.

Currently there are a number of smaller all in one products that make sense in two areas- as a starter system and as a supplement/backup for a larger system.

Last time I looked they were running around $1 a watt hour or aprox. $12 per usable amp hour.

The built in charge controller and everything else should be considered in comparing costs.

I have not yet purchased one, but there are several in the one to two hundred range. Suaoki is one brand, Amazon has an active market.

The limitation on charge wattage is an issue I’ve not considered. Thanks. I suspect this will vary by brand. Connecting downstream of your solar connector might help, but there might be complications. Ask customer support.

Charging via an external converter at 120v will remove that issue, with some power loss.

I have found that they are all underpowered and overpriced. You can build your own system twice as big for half the cost.

Price out a small system that includes a charge controller, converter, and the various plug receptacles that you can carry with one hand.

Also, read and think before knee jerking.

Not to disagree with you but I looked up the suaoki on amazon. $125.99 It does use a lithium battery. It has an mppt controller and a 100w ac inverter. It also only has an 13.5 AH battery. That might be ok for lighting and cell phone charging but not much else IMO.

Windy Nation 100w kits are listed at Home Depot, with controller and inverter, for $369.99. A 100ah AGM can be had for $175-ish. 

Compared to a Kodiak at $1500, without the solar panel.

By building your own system, you save enough to even have a pro install it for you.

I have a Kodiak. Wonderful piece of equipment although yes, a bit pricey. I also have a 100ah AGM hanging on it. Powers our Dometic CFX50 fridge, Maxxair roof fan, desktop fan, TV/DVD and all our device charging needs. Charges quickly when we are driving, from shore, from our portable solar or small gas generator if needed. Plenty of power for us. Spent 6 days traveling around NC over Thanksgiving. Served us very well all last year. Love the fact that it's portable to. Don't believe the naysayers and word police about solar generators. All depends on your requirements.

To build a similar system to the suaoki if you had time to shop around and wait you could source 7AH agm batteries from old UPS systems at goodwill. Usually around $4 each. A 10A mppt on the wish app for around $6 and a 100w inverter for $10 or less.

4 UPS @ goodwill 4x $4=$16
Mppt on wish app $6
Inverter $10
16+6+10=$32

Sure the batteries could be bad but that would be about the same setup only not as pretty. Add a solar panel and you have even better than the suaoki. For around the same price. Amazon sent me a flash sale email on a 100w panel on my wishlist last week $85 with free shipping. $117 for the same power of a suaoki that also charges. Just saying.

Almost There said:
First off, I don't have one but here are the reasons we advise against buying one:

For $1,500 you can assemble a much better source of power.

Yeah, I have no plans to spend $1500. I am asking about cheaper alternatives.

XERTYX said:
I concur with almost there. If you already have a solar setup but want more power and have a $500 budget I think you could upgrade what you have and come out better than trying to find a $500 solar "generator " I'm sure these are great as a backup as was mentioned or for a family of 2 just camping for the weekend. It's certainly compact to be stored away until the next camping trip. But if every day is a camping trip I doubt youd be happy with it unless it was only for charging your phone and running LED lights.

I'm not looking to add more power; The idea is I would sell what I have now if I found something more compact and lightweight that worked for me. In the quest for self-sufficiency, it concerns me to be carrying a battery and generator I can't even lift. It's the same reason I was looking for a smaller propane tank. And that's why these appeal to me. I agree, I would not be happy with the ones I've come across so far in my price range. What I'm asking is, did I miss anything? Is there one out there that rocks, that can handle more, and that I haven't seen?

XERTYX said:
To build a similar system to the suaoki if you had time to shop around and wait you could source 7AH agm batteries from old UPS systems at goodwill. Usually around $4 each. A 10A mppt on the wish app for around $6 and a 100w inverter for $10 or less.

4 UPS @ goodwill 4x $4=$16
Mppt on wish app $6
Inverter $10
16+6+10=$32

Sure the batteries could be bad but that would be about the same setup only not as pretty. Add a solar panel and you have even better than the suaoki. For around the same price. Amazon sent me a flash sale email on a 100w panel on my wishlist last week $85 with free shipping. $117 for the same power of a suaoki that also charges. Just saying.

Wow, what Goodwill do you go to?? I have never seen anything like that there.

dklassen said:
I have a Kodiak. Wonderful piece of equipment although yes, a bit pricey. I also have a 100ah AGM hanging on it. Powers our Dometic CFX50 fridge, Maxxair roof fan, desktop fan, TV/DVD and all our device charging needs. Charges quickly when we are driving, from shore, from our portable solar or small gas generator if needed. Plenty of power for us. Spent 6 days traveling around NC over Thanksgiving. Served us very well all last year. Love the fact that it's portable to.  Don't believe the naysayers and word police about solar generators. All depends on your requirements.

Thank you! I wish I could afford what you have, but it's not in the cards right now.

lenny flank said:
Windy Nation 100w kits are listed at Home Depot, with controller and inverter, for $369.99. A 100ah AGM can be had for $175-ish. 

Compared to a Kodiak at $1500, without the solar panel.

By building your own system, you save enough to even have a pro install it for you.

Yes, that's clear. But I'm not buying a Kodiak. I can't afford even half a Kodiak. I'm asking if there is anything ELSE in that category to look at.

XERTYX said:

Yeah, that's my conclusion at this point, too. I was hoping someone had a different experience they would share, but it doesn't look like that's the case.

Not to the best of my knowledge but then again I've never looked for any as I see them as wasteful but I can see their functionality. So let me ask this then? You are worried about the weight of them and being portable. If you were able to wire your starting battery and house batteries together so they kept each other charged would you still need a portable unit? If so what would you power? For instance if you didn't have to worry about a dead battery on the bus because your solar kept it maintained as well as the house batteries would you still need a portable battery for your campsite? If so what would you need it for? Lights around a picnic table? Phone charging? Music speaker? If so you might find a viable option like a USB battery bank or some bluetooth speakers also have a USB outlet to charge your phone while using it. 

Just my way of thinking but if you just hooked up what you have now with an additional part like a battery Isolator you wouldnt need to lug it around at all. Install it and set it and forget it. Then address portable power options IF you still need them.