solar from truck to trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
> One thing I forgot. You most likely want to run your current RV AC. Those are usually about 13,500 BTU with a starting wattage of 2800-3000 watts and running of 1500-2000 watts. Someone else will have to do the math on what that computes to solar needs.

Only theoretically possible, not practical off batteries for any heavy usage

> If I have to run AC I use my generator

That's what it takes

John I would have to check around but I bet 3000w or so plus a good bank to absorb the surge of starting it. They are not designed with efficiency in mind. There was a 12v 9000 BTU roof unit that took only 600w but it cost a few grand.

50A is a helluva load for a bank to carry for extended periods.

I know lots of people like to run their A/C for many hours a day, even at night.

Not saying can't be done, but on a similar scale as getting a Mercedes UniMog expedition vehicle for offroading AFAIC.

People new to alternative energy are often unaware just how different designing systems for mobile DC is, compared to being on the grid.

It is just a function of scale. The more you want to run the bigger the system to run it day and night. Running even the small window shaker for 8 hours would take a big chunk out of my bank. Even with nearly 1200 watts up top I can not run the A/C the next day and still replace the 300 amps taken the night before. I would need to run the generator early on to catch the bank up to the point that the solar could finish the job.

We just need to remember that solar is a complicated subject and those that are here trying to gain a understanding of it need to get some understanding from us. We all started ignorant at some point.

Cammalu said:
I have four 100 watt Renogy panels and 4 batteries. I was doing OK on two however. 

Hi Cammalu,

What is the size of the four batteries?

I have the same panels with two Walmart group 29 batteries. I would like more power available in the evening hours, when I am inside, and not sleepy.

Thanks,
Wayne

AGM 6 volt 224 amp hours x four

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayne49 said:
I have the same panels with two Walmart group 29 batteries. I would like more power available in the evening hours, when I am inside, and not sleepy.

In the absence of specific info I would advise a two-fold approach:

1. hit sundown with a fully charged bank.  This may require timing of heavier loads and/or tweaking absorption duration and voltage for max, which could require more frequent watering.  I assume the WM group 29 is a flooded lead acid marine type battery that can be opened and watered.
  2. pare down night-time loads to the essentials you really want to run.