Solar Electric VW Bus

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blars

Reaction score
While not on the road when I saw it, I did see this VW bus converted to electric (over 100 miles per charge) with enough solar panels to fully recharge it 3 days.  It's a camper that sleeps the couple and their two kids.  I also talked to the converter/owner, and saw their solar lawnmower, and solar scooter.  (20 mile range, recharges in a few hours.)

http://www.solarelectricvwbus.com/

There's a guy down near LA that has converted an older VW bus... he's got a youtube channel with a lot of fun stuff going on.
The road trip video was good ! He a l m o s t made it ! lol
wheels

I saw the video a while back. Once again a fine example of someone doing what works for them and having fun.

now that is self sufficiency! add an ebike to this set-up and pure win! you could even double or triple up on the solar panels by making the extras slide out and tilt!

Ive been looking at ways to do this to get more wattage on the roof. Im out of space. mine doesnt pop-up so they could double as an awning. then I want to get an ebike and recharge from the van. after that maybe convert the van to electric motor.

once someone saw the solar panels on the roof of my van and asked me how I drive at night. HAHhaha! I explained it wasnt an electric motor but also how batteries work.

JD GUMBEE said:
Goes 200 miles in 9 days?
That sounds about right for a VW bus to me.
(You forgot to add, "with a couple of engine changes in between.")

:)   ;)

HAHaha!

my first 'van' was a '66 VW split windshields cargo transporter. and thats about how it was when I got it. I learned alot from that van!

it was my daily driver for a couple of years. Ive driven just about everything.. racing cars, exotic cars, et.c and that old VW van was by far the most exciting and fun 4 wheeled vehicle Ive ever driven!

you had to be on your game to drive it in heavy winds and it didnt help that I souped it up so much it would actually pull wheelies and exceed 100mph easily. donuts were quite an experience when you sit directly above the front axle.

my best engine story is when I was buzzing down the interstae and the engine literally came loose and fell out of the van! HAHahah!

man that van was a blast! sorry for the off topic.. i had to though. I loved that van!

When I was a younger man, so many of those came home from tour behind my old 300/6 banger Ford...I had a tow bar setup to bolt to them for towing.
Eventually, some of my hipster pals learned and also bought 300/6 Fords.
They also noticed their law 'entanglements' exponentially decreased as soon as they made the swap.
I miss the sand rail with the old bus gear reduction though.
In the woods...for the two or three seasons the engine would last...it was a hell of ride!

Just found an old photo!

IMG_8733.jpg

my first 'van' LOL this was around 1990 a stealth party van it was. why did I sell that?!?

Attachments

• IMG_8733.jpg
    IMG_8733.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 18
The height of it reminds me of the time I met a guy who wielded a yacht to the top of a school bus. I'm curious what the range might be on a solar converted vw van.