Solar Controller goes into error at Sunset?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcor

Reaction score
My Morningstar Sunsaver 20 goes into error state right after the sun sets every evening for the last week. I am running 1 100w Renogy new panel and have 2 Interstate deep cycle both 6 v.
The system works great all day and night long only goes into error at sunset. Once I remove battery power from the controller and power back up the error goes away.

The error I am getting says "self test error".

I get a weird error code when parking lot camping under certain types of lights. It goes away in the morning when there's real sunlight.

Morningstar has good tech support, contact them.

I know get your magnifying glass out but this trouble shoot guide might help.
[font=Arial,Bold]Display Reading: [/font]Blank
[font=Arial,Bold]Time of Day: [/font]Daytime/Nighttime
[font=Arial,Bold]Possible Cause: [/font]
(1) Battery or fuse connection and/or solar array connection (Daytime only). (2) Battery or fuse connection (Nighttime only).
[font=Arial,Bold]How to tell: [/font]
(1) & (2) Check the voltage at the controller battery terminals with a voltmeter and compare with a voltage reading at the battery terminals.
If there is no voltage reading at the controller battery terminals, the problem is in the wiring between the battery and the controller. If the battery voltage is lower than 6 volts the controller will not function.
For the solar array, repeat steps 1 and 2 substituting all battery terminals with solar array terminals.

[font=Arial,Bold]Remedy: [/font]
(1) & (2) Check all connections from the controller to the battery including checking for correct wire polarity. Check that all connections are clean, tight, and secure. Ensure the battery voltage is above 6 vo 

I had the same issue with my sunsaver 10. I contacted Morningstar tech support. After a few tests, they sent me a new one.

Update: Morningstar sent me a new controller. Apparently there was a bad batch that went into error at sunset. Great customer service.

Latest posts