SOLAR CHARGER FOR AA, AAA's

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken in Anaheim

Reaction score
I've seen them advertised......BUT, does anyone have any first hand knowledge of which ones actually work ,WELL?  Appreciate any coments/recommendations...........
KinA

Cigarette lighter adapters are common. I’ve not shopped them in awhile. Chargers that measure individual batteries are best, as opposed to doing so typically in pairs - which can lead to under and over charging. They are a bit of a specialty item and the first one I bought is not made any more.

FWIW, you can now get AA LiFePo4 batteries, last I looked AAA LiFePo4 were not available.

Walmart sells Rayovac Nimh with a 120v charger, a simple solution.

It’s been a few years since I bought mine so technology has likely changed a bit, but I went with a USB type charger and plugged it into a largish folding panel that had USB output. Every one of the “solar chargers” I looked at for AA & AAA batteries took forever to charge.

SD

I just charge them when I am driving using a small inverter that plugs into 12v. The 110v battery chargers work pretty fast, an hour or less to fully charge 4 AAA or 4 AA, they are not high wattage draw devices. I find those 110v chargers in the electronics bin at the Goodwill store most times that I go there. You can even find the smaller wattage cigarette lighter inverters in that same bin.

I did investigate getting a 12v charger unit but it was not a situation were there was much difference for power savings versus using a small 110 inverter with a 110 charging unit. I could charge a lot more batteries in the same time frame with this alternative method. Sometimes a small inverter for a 110v device make sense and this is one of those times.