So I'm new.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcys Road

Reaction score
Trying to get into this as a lifestyle. I've found out its hard unless you have some serious savings. A lot of these people I see that live on $300 -$700 a month seem to have done it with savings. What about people on SSI? Those of us on $730 only? How do you do it? 

Thanks for allowing me to join.

Welcome to the CRVL forums AR! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I've only been vanning for a few months (trips away from a homebase), but Bob's youtube and forum are invaluable to getting started. He lives in places requiring no "rent" payments at all. I have also found RVSue's site to be of enormous help, as she has a complete list, including costs, of where she has stayed over the past 3-years. All over the west, and averaging just $3-4 a night. She has recently bought property after 6 or 7 years on the road, but in a place where it is very inexpensive to live. Not a major city.

http://rvsueandcrew.net/

I am completely new at this. However, I sold my home and paid off all credit card debt and put the rest into savings. During the sale of my house I was also selling off furniture, appliances, etc. Anything I wasn't taking with me. That also went into savings. Even now I have stuff in storage and I am still selling it off trying to stay ahead of the curve.

Hmmmmmm........... I'm one of those saving up.

Once I hit my marks the plan is to think of the money as a tool. The money is a tool that makes me interest so in those regards it'll be similar living..... albeit with a decent emergency fund.

If you don't have this, such as a person on disability, you still have the assurance of next months check.

Not knowing anyone circumstances, I would suggest looking for supplemental income. Odd jobs on Craigslist or something like that you can do. Heck, put ads out for housesitting or something. Who knows.

On top of that save every penny you can. I'm looking at heading out full-time in 2020 so I've got a decent amount of pesos stashed away........but I will still bend down in a parking lot to pick up a penny someone dropped. Live Frugal and save every penny you can.

The vehicle is the big cost, assuming you have no other debt. What are you currently driviing?

Bob has videos on YouTube that explains all of that . I would start by looking at his play list on cheap rv living on YouTube

Arcys Road said:
Trying to get into this as a lifestyle. I've found out its hard unless you have some serious savings. A lot of these people I see that live on $300 -$700 a month seem to have done it with savings. What about people on SSI? Those of us on $730 only? How do you do it? 

Thanks for allowing me to join.

Welcome Arcy. I'm starting off in a Ford Fiesta and a canvas tent and I'm on SSDI.

Sorry I've been unavailable to comment or anything. Shortly after I posted this I became homeless, again. The "helper agencies" nearby were of no use. I've been living in my car and storage shed. I'm spending tonight until Sunday in a motel room so I can clean up and rest for an interview tomorrow and Sunday. I don't have high hopes. I can already see my physical limits being an issue and my mental/emotional ones will probably disqualify me.

I'm new to the site as well, different circumstances, (I just lost my job).

I hope things work out for you, in the meantime I'd get rid of the "pathetic loser" moniker and think a little more highly of yourself at a minimum.

I’m new to this forum. I’m starting out in my KIA Soul. I have it all “tricked out”. Tent, kitchen, shower, bathroom, screened in room, black out pads, power bank...... I’m excited. A little fearful going solo, but it’ll be ok. I’ve got pretty good common sense and I’m a camper at heart. Looking ahead to my new adventure. Traveling this summer thru Vermont, NH, Maine and Canada. Baby steps to going west next year.

Congratulations, Vermontsoul. That's a lot in a Kia!
Did I miss read laundry room and mother-in-law suite?. I'm currently working on a Ford e150 as a flip.
I have my eye on a Dodge B350 high top. That's going to be home for quite a while. Would love to see what you have done to your Kia. Do you post any YouTube videos?

Arcys Road said:
I don't have high hopes. I can already see my physical limits being an issue and my mental/emotional ones will probably disqualify me.

Physical limitations have been an issue for me since 1995. In 2001 I qualified for a program through VESID that helped me "restart" my computer business and in doing so I got connected with a company in CA that, in 2005 offered me a job. 

I got laid off in 2017 exactly 12 years later. Struggled for a year and then lost my home. While I did manage to turn things around in the short term, I did end up filing for disability. Still waiting months later for a determination, but for what you're describing I would talk to your doctor about applying.

Arcys Road said:
Sorry I've been unavailable to comment or anything. Shortly after I posted this I became homeless, again. The "helper agencies" nearby were of no use. I've been living in my car and storage shed. I'm spending tonight until Sunday in a motel room so I can clean up and rest for an interview tomorrow and Sunday. I don't have high hopes. I can already see my physical limits being an issue and my mental/emotional ones will probably disqualify me.
Hang in there.

Beeps and Eats.... I don’t have any YouTube videos yet but I’m working on that. I’ve got some cool organizing tricks in my Kia I think other people might find useful. For instance my bathroom consist of two shower curtains connected over a folding mesh laundry basket with a rope hook on top and when I loop it onto the back hatch windshield wiper..... open the hatch and it pops up into a shower tent. Or I can hang it from a tree branch if there are trees around. It all folds flat neatly back into into itself. I can literally pull over anywhere and have an instant privacy tent. I know I could of purchased one of those shower tents from Coleman.... but I like my homemade one.

Latest posts