So I may have overdone it with the canned goods, but ...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
... given the news and all, this seems like a good time to do whatever you'd do if there was a hurricane five days out and one of the lines in the spaghetti model ran through your location. Keep your gas and water tanks full, lay in a few extra supplies, have some cash handy, have an alternate comms plan with your loved ones, etc.

Not out of panic or paranoia (although, JDub, feel free)(KIDDING) -- all those are things we should do periodically anyway, and this would be a good time to top them up. The particular "dangers" that I'm thinking of -- should, God forbid, the Ukraine crisis spread -- are interruptions to the supply chain and to routine communications.

Compared to much of the world, we have been extraordinarily lucky. Might as well give a hat-tip to that good luck by doing our part to stay prepared. And that's ALL I'm saying -- not worry, or fume, or get hypervigilant, just top up your usual self-care plan, and then go back to doing what you do.

Be safe and well, y'all!

Yes, Morgana.

I have for years maintained an emergency stock of drinking water and staples such as flour, rice, pasta, oatmeal, yellow grits, COFFEE, DOG FOOD, etc.

Items critical to maintaining life in the event of a disaster of some sort.

At home…and in the little RV when I am traveling 6-8 months out of the year, on a good and non-burgeoning-pandemic year.

An earthquake or catastrophic and unexpected event could leave one sheltering in place for at least several days, wherever you happen to be, and having to rely on what you have with you.

Though I'm not going to be vandwelling and it'll be several months before my next road trip, this advice applies to me too as we will be moving to Puerto Rico next fall (we are wintering there now) and will be subject to natural disasters such as hurricanes and earthquakes. We will indeed have a large store of food, water and propane.

The Ukraine siuation is not going to cause food rationing in the USA. It is also not going to disrupt communications in the USA.

This is not the first go around of fighting between Russia and the Ukraine. The last time did not cause any of those situations to happen in the USA, it won't this time either. Not even for toilet paper 😁

I wouldn't worry about the Ukraine situation as much as a local road being blocked between me and local supplies due to weather or a small earthquake.
Yep, that mess that happened in Canada can happen anywhere.

Not out of panic or paranoia (although, JDub, feel free)(KIDDING) -- all those are things we should do periodically anyway, and this would be a good time to top them up. The particular "dangers" that I'm thinking of -- should, God forbid, the Ukraine crisis spread -- are interruptions to the supply chain and to routine communications.

Compared to much of the world, we have been extraordinarily lucky. Might as well give a hat-tip to that good luck by doing our part to stay prepared. And that's ALL I'm saying -- not worry, or fume, or get hypervigilant, just top up your usual self-care plan, and then go back to doing what you do.

Be safe and well, y'all!
How could a war between Russia and the Ukraine hurt communication and the supply chain in the US? We do import a lot of stuff but nothing serious from that part of the world. Now China and Mexico would have me scared. Or is Morgana in Europe?

Either way, I have a portable battery system in case I need it in my house and I keep extra propane and canned goods at the house. My SUV doesn't have space for a lot of extra but I do try to never get below 1/2 tank of gas. I shop weekly but unless Armageddon happens as I'm leaving the grocery store, there's no way I'm going to have enough provisions to make much of a difference. The best I'll have is a few days.

How could a war between Russia and the Ukraine hurt communication and the supply chain in the US? We do import a lot of stuff but nothing serious from that part of the world. Now China and Mexico would have me scared. Or is Morgana in Europe?

Either way, I have a portable battery system in case I need it in my house and I keep extra propane and canned goods at the house. My SUV doesn't have space for a lot of extra but I do try to never get below 1/2 tank of gas. I shop weekly but unless Armageddon happens as I'm leaving the grocery store, there's no way I'm going to have enough provisions to make much of a difference. The best I'll have is a few days.
Because it's on the news: cyberactors are constantly attacking the grid now, and major security sites like the government. Won't affect self-contained dwellers much, but if the lights go out- gas pumps won't work. Amongst other types of pumps, like water.
I'm a prepper. So, I stay up on politics, especially since Putin threatened US.
Jes' sayin' ~

Missile silos used to keep 6 months supplies for up to 150 people even though there were only 4 crew members all male at the time although that changed later. The plan was so well planed the people were screened for compatibility and reproduction capabilities! Lol!!!

Never hurts to have a prudent reserve supply of food, water, and various daily use consumables. A months worth would probably tide you over pretty much anything short of TEOTWAWKI. As I recall, most people in the U.S. don't even have a 3 DAY supply on hand...

I always wonder about people living in hurricane prone areas shown on the news frantically rushing to pick-up food, water, and supplies JUST "before the hurricane"... I think.... Ummmmmm... doesn't this happen almost every other year at least and you don't plan for it???

Darwinian Selection?

Missile silos used to keep 6 months supplies for up to 150 people even though there were only 4 crew members all male at the time although that changed later. The plan was so well planed the people were screened for compatibility and reproduction capabilities! Lol!!!
I visited Minute Man silos at Hill Air Force Base in Utah around 1990. They even let me take a picture with my hand on the launch key. All male at that point, so I don't know about reproduction capabilities. But they did talk about compatibility, the launch sequence and its safeguards, and that they were encouraged to spend time working on various college degrees and be thinking about their futures. I wish I would have asked about survival supplies.

Because it's on the news: cyberactors are constantly attacking the grid now, and major security sites like the government. Won't affect self-contained dwellers much, but if the lights go out- gas pumps won't work. Amongst other types of pumps, like water.
I'm a prepper. So, I stay up on politics, especially since Putin threatened US.
Jes' sayin' ~
Thanks for the 411. I don't stay on politics so I appreciate when others tell me what's happening.

Yes, Morgana.

I have for years maintained an emergency stock of drinking water and staples such as flour, rice, pasta, oatmeal, yellow grits, COFFEE, DOG FOOD, etc.

Items critical to maintaining life in the event of a disaster of some sort.

At home…and in the little RV when I am traveling 6-8 months out of the year, on a good and non-burgeoning-pandemic year.

An earthquake or catastrophic and unexpected event could leave one sheltering in place for at least several days, wherever you happen to be, and having to rely on what you have with you.
I like the idea of "staples" and having a large supply that if needed could last a good amount of time. By "staples" I think of foods that will keep stable a long time, be able to make a large variety of meals out of the same basic ingredients, be economical in bulk, and have good nutritional value for long term health.

Being a diabetic complicates things for me a bit. But is a goal for me to learn more about cooking, nutrition, and find foods that store well, are cheap in bulk, and to be able to make a large variety of meals using those basic ingredients. My eating and cooking habits have been driven by convenience and although I don't want to spend a lot of time cooking I'd like to be more economical and healthy in how I eat. Being a guy I didn't take Home Economics or receive any instruction growing up.

I used to backpack in the Sierra Nevada, sometimes for two weeks or more. Since you carry everything on your back, weight is a consideration and dried foods that you can find water and add it to at the destination were desirable. If water would be in short supply you would bring canned goods so you didn't need to add water. I guess for the van a combination of canned, frozen and dried foods could be stocked up on, with fresh going first, then canned and frozen, and the dried being the deeper reserve if the isolation from restocking got longer. I do like that feeling of security and self reliance, or at least the illusion of such, that brings. Goals I'd like to work towards regardless of external conditions. I was with a Sicilian woman for a couple of years. Her motto was "don't eat to live, live to eat." I'd like to find the balance of survival and enjoyment embodied in that.

Last edited:
Do what you need to do to maintain peace of mind. Having experienced the Carter years I’d hate to go though that again. I don’t think I can wait in lines for hours just for a few gallons of fuel. When I was younger I could roll with the punches, I can’t bob and weave as fast as I used too.

As for Ukraine, if China wants to take Taiwan now is a great time to do it as the west is focused on Europe.

Thanks for the 411. I don't stay on politics so I appreciate when others tell me what's happening.
Well, thank you!

I thought maybe "I" had overdone it...
I tend to maintain "situational awareness" due to my Military background. I realize that many people have not/do not.
So, without being a "Drama Llama", I would like to offer this video by this guy. Beau is able to put complex things in simple terms, and that's why I refer people to him.

With very basic preparation, I was able to maintain a VERY comfortable situation when the lights went out in my area due to a hurricane a while back.

The only thing that I disagree with him upon is to "put back things you wouldn't ordinarily eat"...
I have the luxury however of having a full kitchen. I am testing out recipes right now that are tasty. I feel like good food in an already stressful situation is just one less irritation. Besides, eating together builds comradery. Lots of good thoughts are exchanged at the dinner table. And hopefully, dinner is followed by sharing some music, sharing some good smoke, sharing some homemade dessert.

Let's talk about a guy named Rooster and emergency preparedness....

One last thing, if you do not have enough cellular data, then you can save videos that you want to watch to your “Library” on YouTube, then goto > the three little dots by the video in you Library (it only works from “Library”), and then you can download it to your device to watch later. If you don’t have enough room to save a lot of stuff on your device then you can just delete it after downloading and viewing it.
It’s just a thought…

Just a short segue in politics. Someone mentioned "the Carter years" as if there was something unique about them. I was born during "the Roosevelt years," so I have seen quite a few "years" come and go. My observation is that Presidents get far too much credit or blame. I would rather hang our difficulties on different congresses or different world events that very few of our Presidents had much control over. Not playing any favorites here.

OK, back to self-sufficiency. I'm not a believer in holocaust scenarios, man-made or otherwise. But, I've seen my fair share of natural cataclysms. Being prepared to survive a few weeks without hitting the store seems like a good idea to me. Nor do I worry about healthy diets over such a short period of time. I maintain a larder of dry beans and rice, as well as various other non-perishables that take little space and will keep me alive if "bad things" happen.

Someone mentioned having a 4 week supply of food water and power and I believe that is my aim and getting close. I'm also considering buying a generator after buying a 2nd battery, I found out my current connections of solar had a loose cable and things seem to be working much better but a 2nd battery will make a great impact. The generator I'm considering so I can possibly run a heater and in case I need to run everything in my van. I pray that I don't get into any major engine problems as my goal is to buy a cargo trailer or small piece of land for off grid as possible, short or long term. My other project is looking into storing food in glass jars and if I can preserve things like chicken and beef without a fridge (I don't have one) then that would be quite something alright and exciting. I currently have a 12 gallon container for water plus my 5gallons. I can shower and brush my teeth with less than 1/2 a gallon every other day.