Snakes!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Homer is a natural hunter, he chases (and often catches) anything that moves. But he has no interest in rattlers because they don't move. He shows a very mild interest with a stronger aversion--he's never gotten close to any of the many we have seen. He just seems to know there is danger there.

So just because your dogs are hunters doesn't mean they will be attracted to snakes. Although you will want to be very careful until you find out.

Also we have walked thousands of miles in the desert (5 miles a day every day for 6 years) and only seen maybe a dozen of them. Unless you are in extreme walker your risk is very low.
Bob

Thanks Bob, that eases my mind a bit. I'm not a hiker but my dogs do love an off leash romp and run around like idiots when they get a chance. They are smart but still haven't figured out that skunks are to be avoided, hope instinct will help them with snakes.

I had the fascinating experience of having to relocate a rattler. It had lost its rattle. That made it a danger to everyone in the area. Which is why I snared it and transported it out of the area.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
<p> BUT, so few people get bitten by coral snakes, that the sole producer of coral snake anti-vennin was LOSING MONEY making it, so they shut the product line down. Existing stocks are now all used up.

Seems to me that there will always be a demand for coral snake anti venom, so if the only producer of that product was losing money, it's their own fault for pricing it too low. Stop and think about it... If you've been bit by that snake are you going to argue about the price?

Snakes or rodents. I like snakes. Never knew a snake to steal my food.