smell of butane stove

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolling BnB

Reaction score
I have been thinking of getting a butane stove but I remember the smell years ago of a friend's butane cigarette lighter.  I hated that smell.  Can anyone report on weather there is any odor associated with the gas from these stoves?

Only if you don't light the stove and let the gas escape.

I use a butane stove at least twice a day for the last 2 years and haven't had a problem with any smell!

Rolling BnB said:
I have been thinking of getting a butane stove but I remember the smell years ago of a friend's butane cigarette lighter.  I hated that smell.  Can anyone report on weather there is any odor associated with the gas from these stoves?

On a recent road trip, I cooked three meals a day for two days inside my tent, due to awful weather, on my Coleman butane stove.  No butane odor at all.  Wonderful cooking tools.  With I'd known about them years ago.

Yes. There is often a slight butane smell. Especially when using the cheapest imported canisters. It doesn't bother me, but some of my tender friends have complained, but haven't left.
A word of caution, light the flame before setting the pan on the burner.

You can always get fittings to use propane with your butane stove, much cheaper too.

I keep mine fixed in place and plumbed to a 20 #BBQ bottle for inside use most of the time.

Disconnect and insert a butane cartridge to use outside, toss in the picnic bag for the beach etc.

I find propane and butane to both have odor. I find propane the more offensive.

They put the stink in on purpose as a safety feature, like colouring petrol.

Thanks everyone for the topical comments.  I just bought one today and it will be a soup day tomorrow with showers.

Headache said:
...I just bought one today...
Enjoy the stove. 
My wife and i dig our butane stove and use it for all heating/cooking needs (with all the proper safety in mind). The fuel is a bit more, and sometimes not-so-easy to find, but we always carry enough to get us through, and stock up when we see it on a shelf.

Thom

I stock up on the butane as well!

It's really pricey in camp supply stores and W/M so I get all of mine at K&B in Quartzite. And REALLY pricey if I have to buy it in Canada... :rolleyes:

A case of 28 cans lasts me about 6 months so I get a case when i arrive in the area in the fall and another case before I leave in the spring.

I use my 2 burner propane stove outside for cooking stuff like spaghetti sauce and chili and for using the Coleman oven on....it takes too much butane to cook those things and to heat up the oven.