small plumbing system

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gothicsurf

Reaction score
There are no designated section for plumbing projects, but this seems like the closest fit. I have a very small sink/faucet/tank system is the works I would like to flesh out with proper parts and even advice from experience.

Basically I need the most concise set of fittings to run tubing from a faucet with 1/2" NPS threading --> 1.0 gpm pump --> fresh water tank. Because of limited height I am using a 2.5 gal water dispenser as the tank, and need an elbow at the base of the faucet. It would also help to have quick-connect or (even better) quick-disconnect fittings on each of the two runs of tubing.

As for waste water to avoid using a trap, I simply plan to route some 1" braided vinyl tubing from the sink through to the wheel well where I can possibly put a basin behind the wheel when parked.

The tank would need a bulkhead fitting for a 3/4" pipe attaching an elbow and section of plastic pipe that rises above the tank as a kind of vent for air to displace water drawn by the pump. Tubing from the pump's inlet would then reach through to the bottom of the tank. The alternative would be a dual-barb bulkhead to route the tubing from the pump to the bottom of the tank with another bulkhead on the top of the tank as a vent and fill port (see drawing for clarification).

because 3/8" OD seems more common for these quick connectors, would it be possible to use smaller tubing attached to the larger ports of the pump (3/8" ID) and the sink? so far here is an example of a threaded elbow to quick-connect fitting I found.

One optional component would be a 0.2 gal accumulator tank before the faucet that would spare the pump from minor draws of water. Also with a system rarely needed for continuous flow, to decrease the speed and noise of the pump may be desirable. Would it be feasible to put the pump on a 12V dimmer (something like this in the 20A size) and still have it function adequately?

• faucet to pump elbow fitting
  • 3/8 vs 1/4" ID tubing
  • clear vinyl vs polyethylene tubing
  • bulkhead fittings for water tank
  • tank configuration (one vs two bulkheads)
  • suitability of quick-disconnect vs quick-connect fittings
  • variable current to pump