Small electric heater

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goshawk

Reaction score
Am using a small electric heater while in a campground with electricity. Heater costs $10 at Walmart. Does a nice job as back up. Electricity was only $5 more per night but worth it while recovering from a cold virus.

Back up to what? Do you use another source of heat, and this small heater is in addition to it?
Or is it the only source of heat you have? How many watts, how many amps, how long do you leave it on?
If it's the only source of heat, how long does it take to increase the temp ten degrees?
How high will it raise the temperature?
Hope youo're feeling beter.

It's nice to not need to burn propane when hooked up to grid power. I noticed the small electric heaters have imprecise thermostats, there are external thermostats that go in between the outlet and the electric heater plug. Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lux-Heating-C...hermostat/dp/B000E7NYY8/?tag=cheaprvliving-20 (fully programmable)
or a low-tech version that turns the heater on at 35 degrees and off at 45 degrees (non programmable):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006U2HD2/?tag=cheaprvliving-20

I have three Patton Utility Milkhouse electric heaters. Two are for the bus. One is for the jeep. I put the one for the jeep on an extension cord and a timer. It was used to heat the jeep up 1 hour before I had to go to work. That way I had a warm vehicle and defrosted windows. I was halfway to work before the engine warmed up enough for the heat to work.

Compass - like your idea better than mine. They look more robust. Plus using a timer makes sense.

Ella - try to avoid heaters and just use good weather and a winter sleeping bag. But at this price and I had electric source, works fine. PELONIS brand.

I carry a pelonis for the rare times I have shore power. It is physically smaller and quieter than the milkhouse ones. When I started I used the milkhouse ones with a plywood base screwed to it to keep it stable since Dog knocked it over a time or two.

This is the heater I plan on using.

Amazon Lifesmart Meduim Room Infrared Heater w/Remote

• 3 Heat Settings Including 500 Watt Eco Setting
  • 12 Hour Start and Stop Timer
  • Compact Design Makes Moving The Heater Easy
  • Digital Thermostat with Remote
  • Quiet Scroll Fan Circulates Heat
  • Lifetime Air Filter
The infrared heat is the most comfortable I've found and this is the smallest at 12.5 x 7.5 x 13.5 inches ; 11.5 pounds.

karl said:
I carry a pelonis for the rare times I have shore power. It is physically smaller and quieter than the milkhouse ones.

I carry a small Pelonis as well. It's got a 2 speed fan, adjustable thermostat and it can oscillate. It's rated for 1500 watts but I don't think I've ever used it on high temp/high fan. It's quiet, tiny and only weighs a couple of pounds so it doesn't take up too much room.

It came in handy in my friends driveway but I had to get up in the middle of the night and turn it almost off because it had the van so warm!

I carry a small ceramic heater, this is the third one I have had, I used one on my boat, it worked fine, I bought a fancier one for the van that oscillated it died after the first year, I have another one steel bodied, about 6x8 inches, two settings 750W and 1500W thermostat controlled, branded Holmes, I have used it in the high 20,s F or around -3 Celsius it was fine van was toasty on low setting.