Slept in 2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan WITH Diesel Heater - Nearly Froze

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hugemoth said:
.... Very nice heat though so I installed it in my house (old single wide) where it heats the whole place.

....One of the cons of diesel heaters is they're not great for short cycles where you want to take the chill off then shut it down. A Buddy heater or even a stove is better for that.
I'd be very interested to know what sort of fuel economy you get in a single wide mobile home with one of these heaters.

I have ZERO experience with this product, only what I have seen online but there is a product sold by a man in Australia that replaces your stock LCD display/controller that can do lots and lots of interesting things.

Have caution there is a copycat who stole his source code and is selling their own version which has NO SUPPORT for obvious reasons. Anyway it's called the "afterburner" it has bluetooth, wifi, android app, web based dashboard, and more.

It has modes to just knock the chill off although they would use more electricity warming the glow plug and the fan for startup and shutdown.

It even has a mode called frost something that if you installed it in a cabin for instance it would only warm enough to keep the inside from dropping below freezing. 

Another feature is since it's a self metering fuel pump tou can tell it you added 5L of fuel and it keeps track of how much fuel is left. Pretty nifty, as expensive as the heater itself but you couldn't ask for more features. Something to consider for an off grid cabin for sure. Especially if it has internet connectivity.

Not sure why your set on a heater. I'm from Minnesota and I spent a handful of cold days in the Minivan. I do have 7lb dog with me as well so staying warm is critical. I have an Ikea twin mattress 8inches thick. (I did have to cut it a bit around the wheel well) I use my normal Ikea bedding too. sheets, a thin blanket and then my feather tick blanket (I think it's synthetic, not actual feathers now) I do have a few extra blankets that I can pile on for those extra cold days.

I have been in temps as cold as mid 20's. If anything in the 10's were to occure I'd consider it an "emergency situation" I'd be setting my alarm ever 2 hours to make sure I wasn't freezing and me and my dog were OK. I'd also be either waiting it out or planning on getting the heck out of there.

Not sure if your idea of "Fun" is being in that.. to each their own I'm one that would rather freeze than be burnt like a raisin in the desert. haha!

I usually sleep with my windows down a few inches but I have a light blanket that blocks the draft from that and reflectics on all the windows. Reflectics really have a major impact. I also did put down carpet and carpet padding when I first did my build.

I don't think a heater is needed in temps above 30's at night as you could easily stay warm with blankets. My blanets don't take up to much space but they also double as a "bean bag chair" to lean against while I work on the laptop.

If it was me and I was dead set on being out in that cold and using a diseal heater I'd check out youtube. There is that guy from Cannada who does that too watch what he puts on his build.

Plus I would in that situation put double layers of reflects and then start lining everything with insulation and blocking the walls. Be easier if you can keep your windows boarded up by using side mirrors only. I would pack those walls like bird building a nest. I would pack them so tighet and solid I'm not sure I ever hear road noise again while driving hahahaha. Fabric stores sell warm fabric by the yard cheap I would do that. You can't STOP heat loss. You can just delay it by packing those walls with so many layers it will take them days to loose that heat haha.

I even wonder if you could build a fresh air intake that was wrapped around the exuast if the disease heater that way it would even heat up the air flowing into the van hmm.. Just a thought..

Enjoy those mountains to yourself there ;) not many people I bet are trying to crowd you out of there. The other day I went to a place that go into the 20's at night and it was so nice having that place mostly to myself. There is a unique peace to it indeed.

PeterPiper said:
Now that you ask it like that....I'm not sure.  What is your definition of a 'Camper" ?

I thought I was a camper during my trip to Helen ?

I mean car camping with a tent and backpacking. In my case, for 40-odd years, although in no way do I think 40 years of experience is necessary, a year or so in different seasons will do. Many things work well for the first time, and for occasional use. Day in, day out, however is another story. 

When I was younger, I was very comfortable using ThermaRest and similar mattresses on cold hard ground. No more, I now require real foam. But even in my ThermaRest days, I avoided air mattresses. And my subsequent experiences of the "air beds" that are sold as beds for occasional use have not altered my opinion. You can use extra bedding on top of them to make them warm enough, but IME, nothing will prevent them from losing air. It may seep out slowly or quickly, but seep out it will.

Some people like hammocks, and indeed they can be very comfortable, and are easily kept out of the way when you are not using them. But they are also cold, and as with an air mattress, you need a good bottom layer - like a foam pad - to keep you warm.

All the replies have been very helpful.

Thanks to all.

If I was helpful I'm glad I could help. After reading that post about a good bottom layer it reminded me of watching "survivor" type shows. Bear Grylls did a survival show that I caught a few episodes of once. He would grade 2 man teams in manufactured situations. In his opinion a bottom layer was more important than an upper layer. I saw once where 1 team won the challenge by putting down pine limbs as a base to sleep on whereas the other teams built intricate roofs and lost.

It makes sense. One thing I have thought of. Would it be possible to make a plywood template in the shape of the passenger window and mount the heater on it with the exhaust facing outward? Leaving the fresh air in and fresh air output on the inside. The heater mounted on its side. I've seen the non all in one units operating on their side. And the all in one units seem to be the same unit just all built inside a case. The only real and present danger I can think of doing it that way would be the diesel tank dripping fuel mounted on its side.

This is only slightly relevant but it shows that the obvious isn't always obvious. A cabin had 4 sets of bunk beds, 2 on each of the longer walls, with a window between each pair of bunk beds. The cabin, and others like it had originally been built with insulation. Later an electric baseboard heater was added under each window so the cabins could be used in winter.

Most of the year the breakers were off. They were only to be used a few times the first year. The breakers were turned on. The radiators heated up. Everything was ready to go.

The cabin didn't heat up. The radiators heated up but, the cabin didn't.

I hadn't been part of the construction but, it was my job to find the problem and fix it. When I went in I started by looking for a thermostat. I didn't see one. I looked at the end of the radiators. They each had a thermostat on one end. They were both turned up full. They were both under the bottom bunks which were built on 2x6 frames. Once it got nice and warm under the beds, the heat turned off.

I pulled both wires out of the breaker panel, ran shorter wires to electrical boxes next to the panel and put thermostats in the boxes. Then I turned of the wrong breaker and began to remove the thermostats on the heaters, much to the amusement of the guy helping me.

With thermostats on the walls instead of under the beds, the heaters were more than enough to heat the cabins.

This was also the first place I ever lived with electric heat and lights in the outhouses. It's a very good idea.

MG

I don't know how big your mattress is, but if it's a one person camping type of mattress, you get a cot or sunbathing lounge chair $60-70 at Walmart) and put the mattress on top of it. That will get you off the cold floor and should improve things.

mattvei said:
Basic engineering. Heat rises. If you could put a small fan up top to circulate the heat, could reduce the differential. As Bob says, forget insulating the floor. Get some good down alternative booties to keep your feet warm. Also you need an insulation pad between the floor and your sleeping mat. Backpacker basics.

Dear Bob is wrong about not insulating the floor.  I have 2 inches of polyiso foam on my floor and it helps considerably.   Wintering in Southern Oregon I have  stayed warm down to 0° F while maintaining 66° inside the van.   Vented propane heater with a thermostat does the job.

I agree insulating a floor can make a huge difference, even if the logic is that heat rises.

Comfort Glow BDISC6 Original Brown Box Ceramic Disc Heater 5,200 BTUs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JP4YCUG/ref=cm_wl_huc_continue[/SIZE]
Uses 400 watts at low to 1,500 watts on high.
This thing will work.  It has Manual or Auto Temp Settings with Thermostat.  I set it and forget it and it works all day and all night at very low wattage.   Thermal Dynamics are at play in a Van.  Keep it warm and it will stay warm.  12.5 Amp draw when running on high, 1,500 Watts.

First off, 99% of all the small electric heaters in the market are 1500 Watt (max)
1500 Watt at 120 Volt (house power) , that's 12.5 Amp
But
1500 Watt at 12 Volt (battery power) that's 125 Amp/hour. Therefore your 12 Volt/!)) AH van battery will bottom out in half hour or less, as you can't use more than 50% of its capacity, or 80% if it is lithium.
Don't dream about all-nighters.

This (ceramic heater) would work at a full hookup campsite. Also in some places that have plug ins in their parking lots for cold weather engine heaters. FYI the plug ins are not on till it is below zero so you might want to be elsewhere. And BYO long heavy extension cord. Seriously, in Wyoming these were quite popular to warm your rig before the long trek across the frozen prairie.

Better way is to bundle up. Most "cold" is not really that freezing cold, just need to avoid hypothermia.
-crofter

[1] There is a reason why Bob Wells winters in dry air (desert) rather than humid air states. Humid air is brutally cold compared to equal temperatures in dry air states. [2] Probably a small wooden stove is your only assurance. [3] Metal gets cold! Only thermal mass will prevent cold transfer. Think of it this way: Outside box, your vehicle's shell; build inner box, inner shell. Insulate the walls between those shells. You could do it for entire vehicle, or just sleeping area. [4] I have arctic survival Army military mummy bag, down filled. It is toasty. Hard to find with down, but easily found with polymer. https://www.keepshooting.com/us-military-intermediate-cold-weather-mummy-style-sleeping-bag.html <Model I have with down. Well made. Slip it into cheap diagonal sleeping bag, blankets on top for added warmth. I also have a special forces bivouac bag for added protection from wind, ground, moisture. Sleep with woolen beanie. [5] Wear layers of clothing, starting with woolen thermals. Polymer clothing gets very cold. Woolen or cotton is better than polymer in cold weather. [6] Get separate top and bottom water proof outwear to protect you from exposure, and keeps you dry. High quality insulated snow boots are essential. Do not compromise on your clothing. If you do not have the proper clothing, it is risky. The highest quality survival clothes are surplus military of cotton, wool because they are field tested over thousands of hours, and made for durability. There is not easy fix or solution to your present status. A box truck with dually is far better if you insist on living in the cold, or something similar. There are many fine small wood burning stoves, or diesel stoves; either way, ventilation is an absolute. Carbon monoxide while sleeping is lethal. Take care, wishing you the best....

Having had 6 months to ponder the question.......

Having no window coverings was probably one of the main reasons it was so cold.
A Minivan like the Dodge caravan is practically a glass enclosure from about 1/2 up all sides to the ceiling.
That's a lot of transfer of heat out and cold in.

Since then I've made some custom window coverings and in fact, I have a question about reflectix but it's for a new thread because it's a separate question.

Still, I'd bet that just adding window coverings will make a noticeable difference. Even though I'm also adding additional insulation.

I went on a three day mini adventure a few days ago. Where I live the daytime temp got up to about 50 and at night it was down to freezing or slightly below. Other than the built in heat from the vehicle (Toyota 4Runner), I had no heat. My routine is as follows:

Before going to bed, I start the 4Runner and run the heat on full for about 10 minutes. Once it is nice and toasty warm, I get into my jammies which is a pair of sweat pants and a hoodie. I shut the 4Runner off and crawl into my "nest" which is a 3" foam mattress, a heavy blanket folded into a U shape so that I crawl into the center of the U. Layered on top of this are three heavy comforters. I pull the hood of the hoodie up over my head since the head can be a major source of heat loss. I arrange myself so I am completely covered from head to toe with only an air hole for my nose.

With this setup, I stay nice and warm all night long. I never wake up feeling cold and in fact it is about the most comfortable, warm sleeping I have had. It gets very cold in the 4Runner by morning but I don't feel it while in my "nest". It is definitely a cold wake up when I crawl out in the morning. The first thing I do when getting up in the morning is start the 4Runner to warm it up.

My daytime/non sleeping clothes setup consists of layers and warm clothing.

I think with the setup you already have with the heater, a reevaluation of your clothing, bedding, etc. would solve your cold sleeping problem. If you can keep the interior of your van above freezing temps, maybe in the 50 degree range, there shouldn't be any reason why you can't create a comfortably warm sleeping nest. The key is to think in "camping" terms and not try to recreate a traditional house setup whereby you can sleep on a bed with maybe only one thin sheet as a covering.

Oh, also my sleeping platform is elevated above the "floor" of the 4Runner by about 12 inches (storage underneath). I am sure this helps a lot since I am not sleeping directly on the cold floor of the 4Runner.

I should also add I have one of my windows open about an inch for fresh air so it definitely gets cold inside my vehicle.

THIS------
Oh, also my sleeping platform is elevated above the "floor" of the 4Runner by about 12 inches (storage underneath).  I am sure this helps a lot since I am not sleeping directly on the cold floor of the 4Runner.

Between window coverings and NOT sleeping on a (gasp) air mattress on the floor.....
I think this will pretty much lick the cold problem. (That and having two of my 5kW diesel heaters running at the same time)

That said.....I tolerate heat like a lava stone....but below 70 I'm running for overcoats and thermies.
People's heat regulation systems are different.
In the desert when it's 115F+ I'm bouncing around like a ping pong ball while everyone around me is dropping like flies.
But when the frost is on the Pumpkin......I have to run for cover (and a fireplace)

Thanks!

Yes, there are big differences in people's heat/cold tolerance and adaptability. Anything over 70 to 75 for me is getting too hot. When it hits 90, I am ready to crawl under a rock and hide (preferably a shady rock). 115 degrees—forget it, I am dead.

Your mattress might make a big difference. This is what I use and I really like it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZZMLYW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I weigh about 150 lbs. and it works well for me—meaning I am not bottoming out. I do like a firm mattress. If you like a softer mattress, one stacked on top of the other might be a way to go. They do have velcro on the corners with included velcro pieces so you and join multiple mattresses.

I had purchased a Coleman Converta Folding Cot but too many reviews said it rips so I cancelled that order and instead ordered a KingCamp Portable Folding Camping Cot.

That will get me off the floor so it should be much better (warmer).

I also bought two 3/4 thick closed cell foam sleeping pads to put on the Cot. as soon as I try it all out in cold weather (below 40F) I'll report.

I've got a Zinus folding narrow twin frame (14" of storage space underneath) in the back of my Grand Caravan. I was looking for cots but none of them
fit the Milliard trifold mattress I'd already bought when the plan was just to sleep on the floor. I like it very much. The only issue is I can't quit sit
up straight sitting on the bed. Almost. 2" shorter would do it but I really don't want to cut the legs down.