SLEEPING

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
Being a wool blanket type guy I may convert to synthetics. WHAT KEEPS YOU WARM AT NIGHT?

Wagoneer:

Based upon my experience in night time temps down into the high 20's here in Michigan, I can honestly state that my fleece blankets, sometimes in multiple layers, keep me warmer than my heavy duty wool 3 1/2 point genuine Hudson Bay blanket. Plus, they are cheap, easy to wash, and don't take up too much room. They don't itch and scratch, and get more fuzzy and warmer with use.

Live on the wild side . . . take the plunge!

Fleece - microfleece thermal long underwear - much warmer than those old cotton things we used to wear. And a pair of MaxxHeat Thermal socks. That and a fleece hoodie sweater so that I can sleep with my face tucked in to the hoodie as much as humanly possible.

When the fleece thermals aren't needed (above about 40F) then it's a fleece liner tha I made for my hammock.

Oh and a duvet that's synthetic...who knows what's in it, it's a couple of decades old and HEAVY!!

I'm going to try a set of microfleece sheets. Maybe I can get away without having to deal with long underwear - I'd rather sleep with less clothes if I can get the same warmth out of the sheets.

I still have one of those pure wool gray blankets tucked away but I haven't needed to pull it out of the storage bin. My son wants it back so I have to hang on to it for now.

I also like the fuzzy fleece for bedding. even when using my down sleeping bag I like my fleece blanket. highdesertranger

I wear the fleece and then get into double sleeping bags.
Sometimes I add a down jacket , either on me or over the sleeping bags.

rvpopeye said:
I wear the fleece and then get into double sleeping bags.
Sometimes I add a down jacket , either on me or over the sleeping bags.

Are you in Wyoming or something?

Skuh kuh kuh kuh
I am in the state "East Coast Alaska" labeled Maine on all the maps ......
I "try" to keep the inside temp above 30* but when it's 20 below zero and 40mph wind this old rig tends to "self ventilate".
Skheeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww.

Fleece blankets and a lap cat.

Attachments

• Pets 022.jpg
    Pets 022.jpg
    881.8 KB
wagoneer said:
Being a wool blanket type guy I may convert to synthetics. WHAT KEEPS YOU WARM AT NIGHT?
furnace, electric heaters and quilts.

If you have a stove, I recommend you get a large pot to heat up water and several hot water bags available at drugstores! Place them at your feet, on your belly, close to your hands, and on your neck. You will be warm.

speedhighway46 said:
Wagoneer:

Based upon my experience in night time temps down into the high 20's here in Michigan, I can honestly state that my fleece blankets, sometimes in multiple layers....
x2
Wagoneer, I am also from Michigan. After 30+ years of camping and being outdoors as much as possible no matter what the season, fleece is pound for pound and dollar for dollar the best material for warmth. Due to the high cost of propane I keep my S and B at a cool 50 degrees most of the winter. I use fleece blankets for sleeping. I use them at deer and fishing camp in the fall as well. If I were out in single digit temps I would want a goose down comforter at night.

I get all bundled up in a king size down comforter on a twin bed. When it gets REALLY cold, I add my down sleeping bag. Oh, and there's my insulating layer of fat.

I'm a fleece and quilt kinda guy. It has to get real cold for me to crawl into a sleeping bag since I need to move/roll every few minutes to control pain.

If the bed is real cold, I heat up a cast iron griddle, wrap it in a towel so it doesn't leave black on the sheets, and iron the sheets with it before I crawl in.
If it's that cold I give Old Dog a boost up on the bed and we share heat....

Latest posts