Slatwall?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Reaction score
I could only find a couple of 4 year old post's that discussed using slatwall rails and just wonder if anyone has had any more recent use or installation of these. I think I'd like to incorporate these into the build I'd like to begin soon. Not only can you hang and position a plethora of accessories like holders, shelfs and baskets but in my mind's eye it's a really pleasant visual design element.
https://garagetransformed.com/best-garage-slatwall/

Thoughts?

I use E-track.

How much weight can those slats handle?
What's it made out of?
I guess I should read the link. LOL

Highdesertranger

[quote pid='531181' dateline='1617566294']
LeftyI
https://garagetransformed.com/best-garage-slatwall/

Thoughts?
[/quote]
My thoughts are that it'd be lovely and a great way to stow your stuff in sight and also a great way to use space.

On the other hand, having experience with using slatwall, I imagine that you would have to remove stuff before heading down the road, because the various kinds of hangers/brackets are not fixed, just braced between an upper and lower slat in a channel. If you leave it all up, I think your stuff will migrate as you drive. During the migrations, your stuff will mark up the beautiful slatwall.

If I had walls I could use it on, I would use sections where needed and unload it on my bed as part of breaking camp to travel. I have stuff hung by other means that I unload for travel. It works for me because my home is a little trailer that gets left at camp when I shop or sightsee or whatever.

I mounted milk crates by using a flush mounted 1 1/2" x1 1/2" wooden rail over a horizontal seam in my wall panels that was a few inches below the height of the milk crates from the ceiling over my beds. By installing 3/8' dowels in the top of the rail that stuck up about 1' through holes drilled in the rear corners of the milk crate, then the rear side handle hole of the milk crate allowed me to mount a hanger that required the milk crate be lifted vertically straight up one inch to clear the dowels and off the hanger. By stuffing a towel or filling the milk crate it can't raise up or come off the rack. If they ever do I'll simply put a rotating latch instead of a simple hanger. I usually use them for light weight items but even the ones full of tightly packed blue jeans haven't given me any problems coming off even on rough roads. I like being able to see how much is in them easily and being able to simply lift then off to set on the bed when needed. I put a double row at the foot end of the bed as there was plenty of room for my legs and feet. I mounted the lower row solidly as they can be accessed easily by removing the milk crate above. Makes for super light weight and cheap storage!

Ravella and X said:
[quote pid='531181' dateline='1617566294']
...I imagine that you would have to remove stuff before heading down the road, because the various kinds of hangers/brackets are not fixed, just braced between an upper and lower slat in a channel. If you leave it all up, I think your stuff will migrate as you drive. During the migrations, your stuff will mark up the beautiful slatwall.

[/quote]

Yeah, stuff might even disconnect from slat wall, like when going around corners. And although there might be some versions made with solid wood, it's typically made from MDF -- medium density fiberboard -- with melamine paper laminated to it. MDF can chip and crumble, especially if there are things rattling around on it.

Latest posts