Slab city neighborhoods

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notmad

Reaction score
What would be the best neighborhood(s) in Slab City for me and my two daughters (18 and 21yo) and our dog to spend one night?  We are looking for some place that's relatively quiet and safe.

notmad said:
What would be the best neighborhood(s) in Slab City for me and my two daughters (18 and 21yo) and our dog to spend one night?  We are looking for some place that's relatively quiet and safe.

I only went there once and I decided I would not stay there I think safe during day but rumors of craziness at night I would stay at the abandoned rv park at Salton sea just my 2 cents

And visit slabs during day

I wouldn't take your daughters there for the night. I would do a day trip with them.

You never know who is wandering in and out of a place like that.

You have everything from businesses, to "rich" folks in big RVs, to homesteaders, to art communities, to survivalist compounds, to people sleeping under bushes, anarchists, organizers, musicians, benevolent people, misanthropes, social folks, loners, people hiding from the law, people hiding from their internal demons. And tourists. Drive around and you'll probably see which areas are sketchy and which aren't.

I stayed there for about a month one winter. No problems.

Teenage daughters???? Loose in slab city?

Cammalu said:
Teenage daughters????  Loose in slab city?

I know some of us are old enough to have had dinosaurs for pets and therefore imagine middle-ages folks to be toddlers, but 18 and 21 are adults.  :D :p :D

I was just remembering me at that age....

Anywhere but there almost . Wow I'm surprised by the thread actually. There's no way I would be caught there overnight . There's no law there ya know ?

I spent the winter at Pilot Knob BLM just over the CA border Yuma way. Out there in the desert I had as neighbors a family of nice but eccentric hippy types. They had stayed at Slab.
After what they told me I would never even visit the place let alone stay there. A lot of drugs and drug related 'stuff'. People chasing other people, fights and a real threat of theft.
Maybe they exaggerated but I don't think so. They were a strange family anyway so maybe.......
Seriously though it isn't for me.

"A lot of drugs and drug related 'stuff'. People chasing other people, fights and a real threat of theft."

Sounds like southern Nye County Nevada. And Vegas for that matter.

Drugs, theft, and dysfunctional people are found everywhere in the US.

There are local "neighborhoods" in Slab City. Some are better run than others. At least that is what I have read on this forum from people who have been there, done that. [Actually having been on the ground there, not having done drugs, dysfunction and theft.]

When it is nearby on my travels I plan on visiting in real life to see the reality for myself.

wayne49 said:
Drugs, theft, and dysfunctional people are found everywhere in the US.

Agree. I've heard people say bad things about my town too - but having lived here for 14 years I know that the thieves and drug users aren't even on my radar most of the time because they aren't the people I choose for friends. There are lots of really nice people here too. I think the big advantage in a small town is that if someone is involved in drugs and thievery, everyone else in town knows who they are. In the last few years there were two in particular known for this and one was in an accident and was injured a year or two ago, and the other was recently arrested after posting some stolen property on FB Marketplace . . . a lot of people here were glad to know he was locked up and not with any kind of glee really - he's someone a lot of us have known since he was a child and we want him to slow down and get some help to change his life. He used to come to my home when he was a child to play with my son - so I just want him to be healthy and happy again.

That said, I'd definitely drive through Slab City and look at it. But definitely also wouldn't want to spend the night.

Slab City is bad news, too many druggies who will steal from you and harm you for a fix. Plus there are a lot of rapes that happen there. It was a decent place long ago. Plenty of YouTube videos on the rvs that get burned down if you piss someone off and the rapes.

well, i was on a slab city FB group for awhile and it didn't seem as bad as many folks are saying.
any evidence like a news story to back up these claims or is all just anecdotal evidence?

Any news of Slab City?  
There are people who have lived there for a while so it can be done.  
It would be nice if the forum could establish a safe zone so that strength in numbers and mutual self interest could make things reasonable.  I have done my share of cooperative camping.  It takes a certain level of commitment.  The more you give, the more you get and when it works it pays off.  One person can go to town to get supplies while others take turns keeping an eye on the campsite.  Shared meals makes for better menus and company.  I have also learned how to live in a bad neighborhood, in the real world.  We shouldn't live in fear, just be careful.  If we do it together we make things better.  Maybe this is all just a pipe dream.  I just give it a think.

from reports of basics of this joint I would do a day drive thru and leave that crazy azz place for the night....I mean there is SO much great life out there, why go right into some possible viper den you know has snakes? Not for me, but yea I wanna see it, will enjoy it for the few minutes I want and then drive on.....but I feel from reports most say don't hang around ya know, at some point if enough people DO say this?? But yea I am planning on going to 'see it' and move on :)

I already have enough trouble that finds me.I don't need to go out looking for more..

Loners on Wheels (LOWS) has their own neighborhood.