simple/solo boondocking: Promaster 159 high roof

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Further reading suggests this behavior is caused by the "DVZ Secure Content" plugin. If it was not enabled on the old forum but is enabled on the restored forum that would explain it.

Basically http thumbnails are munged into clickable links because they are not https, which breaks the the nested link to the bigger pic.

Replaced GFCI outlet, which I had cracked earlier moving around lumber.

Installed a paper towel holder, paper plate dispenser, plastic shopping bag dispenser.

Picked up bilge fan, louvred vent, 2way splitter and PWM motor control for a ventilation manifold experiment.

[edited to add - also ordered the Rostra cruise control. I may have a road trip coming up...]

Attachments

• RostraCruiseInstalled.jpg
    RostraCruiseInstalled.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 15
Tip rec'd guvna. Yes lots of good stuff came through that thread, both Bruce @OceanPlanet and Maine Sail are the top DC rocket scientists to pay very close attention to, no arguing with them, their word is canon
:cool:

Changed the oil in the PM at 22759. The driving cycle based "change your oil" alert when off at 22750, after 9553 miles on Castrol Edge synthetic. I took a sample and will send it off the way I did the first change I did.

Unboxed the 15L Alpicool. Had it running for the past few days off the AC adapter plugged into a kill-a-watt. Used about 38w while chilling and has stayed in the mid 30s but I *swear* I can't catch the compressor running. If it holds together this is going to be a great little fridge.

I am hoping to get a >=20mpg tank now that I have cruise. Will know in a week or so.

Yes curious to know that little fridge's AH per day vs temp diff - I suspect not that much less than a bigger Engel or ARB.

But great for fitting in a smaller space, especially snagging at such a great price!

Put it to work freezing some water bottles out in the sun if you want to "catch it" compressing :cool:

Or is it just that silent?

Who do you send your oil to?

Is it best to go "a bit over", or sample right at mfg spec for doing a change?

The Alpi is quiet.  I can't hear it in my house with the A/C running.  I did catch it running when it was cooling down intially.

I used the NAPA oil analysis kit, it uses ALS Tribology for analysis.  Basically the kit is the sample jar, a canister to place the jar in, and the paperwork that gets you the analysis.  I think they were ~$20 each. 

I'm going to spend the money on each oil (and transmission fluid) change in case something goes wrong internally while under warranty.

frater secessus said:
I am hoping to get a >=20mpg tank now that I have cruise.  Will know in a week or so.

Been testing MPG on several runs from longview to Aledo the past month. Weather and wind conditions similar both ways, cruise set at 68mph (2,200 rpm) on freeway (I20) average 18.2 mpg, using back road (HWY 80) cruise at 63mph (2,00rpm) gets me close to 20mpg.  wind can be the biggest factor, going to the RTR 2017 headwinds resulting in 14.2mpg, coming back but now with tail winds of the same order was teasing 22mpg. the next factor is hills due to constantly downshifting, here a steady foot on the gas is better than cruise at the expense of a few mph here and there. But cruise is great on long runs.

Thanks for the datapoints on MPG. I have three fuel receipts to put in, let's see what they are:

20.2! achievment unlocked: efficiency dork

I did 60mph with some 55mph as I started climbing toward El Paso.

I haven't done any "pick up speed going downhill" stuff yet, as I wanted to remove myself from the equation.

frater secessus said:
I am going to call the build "provisionally complete"

Very apt, only after a good period of use can you know what works and what doesn't. For example my 1st build incorporated a small sink and hand operated water pump,after one year of non use except for holding various small items whilst driving. Now just have collapsible bowel that can be used anywhere and stowed when not needed.