Simple, cheap water pump

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagabound

Reaction score
I need a simple and cheap water pump to pump some water up out of a Jerry can into my built-in sink. I think I would like it to be battery powered so I can use my rechargeable batteries. Worst case, 12v. No solar or house batteries yet.

Recommendations?

Tom

Yea I was going to bring up aquarium water pumps. They tend to be much smaller/lighter as well as smaller power consumption, but gallons-per-minute may be too low.

Ran across this guy http://amzn.to/2kqwjLy which pumps a bit over a gallon per minute and is battery powered, so you can use rechargeable batteries.

Fountain and aquarium pumps may not be rated drinking water safe. RV pumps should be.

I wore out an expensive "whale' type of hand pump in several years of use. I then went with a much less expensive Valterra hand pump, and that lasted a few months and then met the business end of a sledgehammer with a flurry of curses.

I now Use a Jabsco 12v on demand pump. no accumulator, and will not be damaged by running dry as most other pumps. It has likely pumped more than 2x the amount of water compared to when my high$$ hand pump failed.

Here is the exact product I use,
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/jabsco--galley-pump-faucet-kit--P011_331_001_501

but did find this which is much cheaper:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-12...FOR-BOAT-CARAVAN-RV-FITS-JABSCO-/282033621983

I consider the electrical consumption of my pump to be a complete non issue.

There is this thread from about a year ago:

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-12v-on-demand-water-pump?highlight=water+pump

Notes from a tankless hot water thread:

​FloJet 04405143A or Shurflo 2088-554-144 (same pump, different color plastic, both have the built-in pressure switch); this works even better with a Shurflo 182-200 mini pressure tank.

Recommend the Shurflo 255-313 mesh prefilter. Got everything from Amazon.

One design issue: the small DC pumps have very little draw, so mount them low

go to farm supply store tsc would be a good one and look at their sprayer pumps most will carry same brand as rv stores for a lot less money

Appreciate the links and ideas. Some interesting products in there. I decided to try the boat-type manual foot pump first. It should arrive on Friday and after I get it installed, I'll let you know if it's good or not.

Tom

How are you guys dealing with frozen water/pumps?
I know a bunch of you will say "drive South". But really..

gargoyle said:
How are you guys dealing with frozen water/pumps?
I know a bunch of you will say "drive South". But really..

Haven't really had much of a problem... and as a bonus, the Prestone leaves my hair fluorescent green and silky smooth! ;-)

Tom

if your water system is inside your living quarters you really don't have to worry about it. your living space should not get below 32 degrees for extended periods. highdesertranger

Pumps and lines need to be drained or antifreezed. The inside of my van was at the same temperature as the outside many times. The inside of my bag much warmer. If i needed more water in those conditions I would have a system to heat the water. The liter of water kept in the sleeping bag with me was enough for morning.

Wabbit said:
I bought a 30 gallon barrel, and when I get around to it, am going to use something like in the link. Its a hand pump.

Save your bread on this one.....ask how I know.

One Awesome Inch said:
I've seen some use a windshield wiper automotive pump.

Thoughts?

they work good and very energy efficient. not lots of flow or pressure and it varies with different manufacturers.

can probably get sevral kinds from a junkyard for $5 each to try them all out. I used an old GM one before getting a surflow and still keep it handy for when my batteries get low and next day is cloudy.

The Chinese are starting to build RV's for their home market and export now... Stuff is bound to start getting a lot cheaper.

Can't get much cheaper than THIS

20 Bucks

71ogGSXotTL._SL1200_.jpg