SIMPLE CARGO TRAILER

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverman

Reaction score
I had a nice 6 x 12 cargo trailer built to my specs in south GA for $2000.00.

Then I super insulated it with the best insulation that I could find... Polyiso insulation.

It's going to be very simple... 

Computer desk for a laptop and wifi
Energy Star A/C and propane heat
Recliner for sleeping and watching TV
Maybe a few plastic storage boxes
LED TV
Vinyl flooring

I don't need anything better....

:D Sweet, Nice work! K.I.S.S. is key! But what about the work bench, tool chest, hammock (ok memory foam matress aka "cloud 9") and let's not forget ato bot the highly coveted ice maker! we can dream...and make it happen! LOL :D

Sounds cool, like a tortoise shell, keeps you cool and warm.

How much insulation on walls and ceiling?

Any insulation on flooring?  What kind of temp. extremes do you expect to encounter?

What are you pulling it with?

Thanks for sharing.

Polyiso insulation in 2" on walls and ceiling, none on floor.

Home Depot has (or can get) the Polyiso insulation in 4x8 sheets.

Trailer weighs around 1200# empty.

It should be your decision on what you want to tow a cargo trailer with.

Let me say, I can add another inch of insulation to my walls and ceiling if need be. I'm in testing mode right now.

Hi Riverman stumbled across your Thread I was wondering how the Cargo Trailer came out? I have a small 5 by 8 CT thinking of making it into my mobile workshop and Chill area...$2,000 sound great for 6 by 12 cargo Trailer I would have the space to do much more, I paid almost that for my 5 by 8 andy chance you could tell me the Company you bought from as I would be interested here in Massachusetts they are way over priced I could sell my trailer for $1,500-$1800 no problem. (it would include a 2200 mounted generator w/ Honda Motor)
Peace and Blessings
MikesgonenoMAD

Trailer is perfect and was a deal. South GA is the place to buy them. Not all the trailers are made the same down there, so you need a reliable dealer that will tell you the truth upfront. You can PM me if you need any further info. thanks

You may want to consider a lay flat bed. You may not sleep well in the recliner night after night.

Canine said:
That's a good deal. My 6X12 v-nose custom built cargo trailer was $6600!

Yes I checked out Online Trailer Place and when I was done Adding Options About The Same Price. I have a 5 by 8 Cargo that I will use as a small workshop and storage but when fulltime pretty sure I will go for a 7 by 12 with 6.5 Ceilings. Guess I better shop around before deciding.
Peace & Blessings
MikesgonenoMAD

I still prefer a lightweight cargo trailer that I can stand up in over a van, or a heavy to tow RV.

It sure got old fast lugging a heavy over 5000# travel trailer every where I went.

My 1000# cargo trailer can be towed with many different vehicles, and it's a dream to tow in the mountains.

I won't go back to a heavy RV again.

Riverman, would you pm me the info on how to get a trailer like yours? Thanks.

Riverman said:
I will pm you tonight.

Hey river man i'm gonna bottom bounce a 10" inch Night Crawler right over your head and a 56" flat head catfish gonna snap it right up!!
You have my #. I have a couple of lakes for Smallmouth Bass dialed in!

I'm headed north next summer.... I've heard some fine stories about MN fishing.

Riverman said:
I still prefer a lightweight cargo trailer that I can stand up in over a van, or a heavy to tow RV.

It sure got old fast lugging a heavy over 5000# travel trailer every where I went.

My 1000# cargo trailer can be towed with many different vehicles, and it's a dream to tow in the mountains.

I won't go back to a heavy RV again.

I needed to read your post this morning.  Last couple days I've been working on the kitchen/pantry supplies and cabinets.  I use my living room to simulate the trailer because it's too cold to work on the build right now and besides, I'm downsizing in the nice warm inside so no guilt for not working.  That said, I usually turn YouTube on while I'm working and half listen, half watch and I've been having RV envy vs my dual axle 7' x 16' cargo trailer that is being turned into an RV.  Your post made me remember why I went thin and not too tall, not too long.  Thanks, I needed that.

Latest posts