Shower options

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was thinking something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Elem..._sim_sg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0D3CQS6317H8EE58NW8R
and if the sun isn't warming up the water enough, just heat it on the camping stove.

then a camping shower cabana/tent thing like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Po...sbs_sg_21?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DCGHQ5HS06C1QPBMM0F
but i haven't seen one reasonably priced (about $50) that looks strong enough to hang that shower inside. almost thinking it would be easier to make my own.

any recommendations?

My current shower setup for when I'm on the road is a small, pump-up garden sprayer that I got at Home Depot for $10. It has a one gallon capacity, which I find is more than adequate for a head to toe scrubbing including shampooing my long hair and beard.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RL-Flo-Master-1-gal-Economy-Sprayer-1401P/100188485

For the actual shower area, I tarp off the hatchback area of my car for privacy. I've somewhat altered the way I set up the tarps since I took this picture, but it should get the general idea across. I attach the tarps to the car with 40 lb. magnets. Something similar could probably be done with the rear doors on a van

https://vanlivingforum.com/attachment.php?aid=1541

For those not in the know, a quality, made in the USA from recycled materials option for showers is the Simple Shower.  

It's a little device that turns just about any pop bottle (1, 1.5, 2, and 3 liter) and most collapsible bottles into a handheld shower.  It actually feels like being under a real shower when used properly, and you can have a complete shower (including hair wash) for less than a gallon.

You can also take a half gallon milk jug, trim the cap, and insert the Simple Shower (which gives you a handle to hold onto), and you can jam it in most large mouth juice jugs (we use a V-8 jug).  As there is no squeezing, you don't have to worry about the Simple Shower falling out of the jug when in use.

You can find it on Amazon.

Yes, I'm the inventor and manufacturer (some of you already knew that).  I actually came up with the concept after reading Bob's posting in his blog about bathing options for van dwellers (many years ago) and the Patent Office has just allowed all my claims, so I'll have the actual patent issued in a couple of months :D

Attachments

• Simple Shower in use.jpg
    Simple Shower in use.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 20
Geodoc said:
For those not in the know, a quality, made in the USA from recycled materials option for showers is the Simple Shower.  
Yes, I'm the inventor and manufacturer (some of you already knew that).  I actually came up with the concept after reading Bob's posting in his blog about bathing options for van dwellers (many years ago) and the Patent Office has just allowed all my claims, so I'll have the actual patent issued in a couple of months :D

Awesome! :D

One way to get a good shower and use less water is to use an Oxygenics Shower Head if you are in an RV or using a pump. I put one in my trailer and was able to take FULL showers without having to do the wet-off-soap-rinse military type shower. It really works well, and doesn't throw needles out like some of those cheap hotel water saving shower heads.
31pYE7uUb-L._AA160_FMwebp_.jpg

ZoNiE said:
One way to get a good shower and use less water is to use an Oxygenics Shower Head if you are in an RV or using a pump. I put one in my trailer and was able to take FULL showers without having to do the wet-off-soap-rinse military type shower. It really works well, and doesn't throw needles out like some of those cheap hotel water saving shower heads.
31pYE7uUb-L._AA160_FMwebp_.jpg

I tried one of those, and while it is a big step above a standard shower head, I found it takes much hotter water to have a comfortable shower. The way it mixes air with the water to conserve water sucks the heat out. Since it takes quite a bit of energy to heat water, I had to pass. It is a very good quality shower head, though.

I actually found the Oxygenics Showerhead a quick fix for the only problem I've had with my Camp Chef water heater, even on the lowest setting the water is quite warm, nice for dishes, but on the warm side for hot weather showers.  When I switched to the Oxygenics I could switch to about a quarter up the scale from absolute lowest setting.

Great shower from a low flow of water!

Corky 

I should put in some context. I heat about 50 ounces of water using a 1000 watt electric hot pot. (I use about 25 to 35 ounces most of the time.) With that perspective, the heat difference is noticeable as I really notice the electrical use. I also had put it on the end of my weed sprayer. A bit weak for that pressure, but it did work. Hope this helps!

Corky, I remember your post about your heater. Really liked your perspective. Now with the shower head Zonie commented on, that gives people a great option for showers.

Before I bought a van with a water heater, I was planning to just stick a roll of black plastic waterline on the roof and let it heat up in the sun. Plumb it in place and leave it. Pump water through it. Permanent solar water heater.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced...bing-Size-Pressure-Pipe-4-75200100B/203359668

3/4 ID x 100' = about 2.3 gallons of water. That's a decent hot water capacity for $23.

I'm unsure if the average onboard pump would want to lift water a few feet up to the roof or not. I think it would but I intended to test that. I would fill the tubing with a garden hose or some other water source so that the pump didn't have to fill it all the way up, just maintain water flow.

That would work , I think the RV water pump would be able to keep it filled ok too !

I saw a you tube video of a guy that put a piece of large dia pvc on his roof rack , painted it black , added a Y for filling , capped the ends , tapped into one of the ends to feed his shower , added a tire air valve to pressurize it all and then waited for the sun to do the rest !

It was on a service van so looked like a plumber's pipe carrier...

The diameter and length of the pvc would determine how many gallons it would hold.

I was just looking back through this thread and see that post #8 seems to have beat me to this one !

On all these shower arrangements, where is an acceptable place to use these portable showers? Just stop on the side of the road, in parks, parking lots, woods?

Stevesway said:
On all these shower arrangements, where is an acceptable place to use these portable showers?

I'd say:
a) A campground that already has outdoor showers.
b) Somewhere people aren't seeing you (woods etc).

Anywhere else, you may be violating graywater regulations. At best you'll be drawing attention to yourself.

I was a campground host in both the Sierras and the Rockies and putting up a potty tent in either was was perfectly fine. I think their would be very few places where it wouldn't be legal.

However if one drop of gray water comes out of your RV you might get a ticket! I was camping with a group and a Ranger came into camp and couldn't care less about the potty tents but he freaked out when one of the RVs had a slow leak at the gray valve.
Bob

I remember when I was full timing in an old 1992 class a Southwind in Texas while in a campground a few miles from Falcon State park, that there was a rule that said you could leave your grey water valve open, but had to go to the State park to dump your black tank. The campground was maintained by the state and had a different set of rules than the State park proper.
I met a person there that would use an adapter on his grey water cap that would accommodate a regular water hose and he would hook up a white fresh water hose to it and run it under his motor home so it would look like a fresh water hose so no one would realize he was dumping his grey water on the ground under his rig. I don't know......how harmful is grey water to the environment? I guess the soaps and detergents that you use would get into the ground water. Doesn't that get filtered with the soil before it gets to the underground water. I know being close to a stream would not be acceptable but if you are the 200 feet or whatever the regulations call for, would be safe.

Depends on the contents of the gray water, and how many people are doing it. Out in the boonies, alone and with no food residue in it, I wouldn't mind it. But in a campground, with cooking/food residue, and if a lot of RVers did it, it could get to stinking. Not that much trouble to dump it properly, if in a campground.

Stevesaway, the grey water will attract animals. Bears, rats, feral dogs, etc. While it may be legal, keep in mind where you dump it so the critters don't get too close. Feeding wildlife is also illegal. While one may not intentionally be feeding animals, if Fish and Game says not to because it attracts critters, then that person would have to stop or could be subject to a fine. Some places have fewer problems with animals than others, but every year where I live bears are killed because people give them attractants and food. Sometimes the bears attack dogs or even people because of that.

I find it impossible to not leave some kind of attractant, but I do make the effort to minimize it.

This is the one I'm currently looking at, but at $300 I'm thinking I might try my hand at making a gravity-fed system out of ABS pipe first.   :p
Problem is, I've read that ABS pipe doesn't so much heat the water inside as much as it insulates it from the sun's heat.  
I also need a system that hangs below the crossbar instead of sitting on top like the one pictured. 

http://www.roadshower.com