Should I buy a New Van? Need help with this decision!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I Spend $10,000 on a new van or keep my $2000 junker?

• Total voters
nobodyG17 said:
Keep us updated for sure as the poll is very one sided at 12-0 for keep your van.

10K would let you travel for a long time if you were so inclined.  

We could make a better decision if we knew more about your current van.  Sounds like most of it is cosmetic?

Now it's 17-0 in favor of keeping it....I think the group has spoken...:)

Just adding. The devil you know is better than the unknown demon in that new to you vehicle. You can make anything last a long time, and mostly you should. Always expect $2000 in repairs and maintenance yearly. If you spend less than that you are lucky.

Another vote for fix up your current van and save the rest of the money. In a real emergency, $10k--realistically $7.5k by the time you fix up your van and upgrade your life a bit--is not a huge safety net. It's a lot bigger one for someone smart enough to live in a van!

Let's put it this way... I would buy your van off of you if you sold it and went new. Why? Because you could tell me all about the good and the bad, and you live in it. You know how often it has been maintained, and the reliability. So I would sell it .. To yourself... For free.

GrantRobertson said:
Don't just accept the fact that you will fritter away the money if you don't spend it on something big. Put it into a separate account. Heck, you could buy some certificates of deposit or some other kind of investment. If you tell yourself that the money will be spent one way or another, that becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. If you pretend that you don't have the money at all and just pretend you are still broke, then you will continue to save more.

flying kurbmaster said:
take a 1000 and go out and waste it on your kids, yourself, and your new girlfriend, do frivolous things, buy icecream cones, go skiing, go sailing, take sailing lessons, a new bathing suit etc, stick the rest into an rrsp make an extra 20% on tax savings( the 1000 you spent on your kids, yourself and your new girlfriend) then forget about it, sleep better at night knowing you are earning income from it, carry on with your life as it was. Congratulations on saving such a large amount in a short time celebrate that.

I have agree here, take a $1000 and have some fun. Then put $9000 into a different account so it doesn't get spent on frivolous stuff. If you keep it in the account you do your daily spending from it will get spent over time.

well I read from post 1 through 26.

I was one of votes for keeping the van.
I'm no mechanic, though it sounds like you like your van (well... ding-less maybe : ) and it is running fine.

Best wishes on the decision.
I suppose whatever you decide,
it will all work out and will be just another chapter in the big adventure.

Thom

I have a question. Are you doing okay stealth camping in the city with the van you have now? Do you get run out of neighborhoods or hasseled by the  police because of the age or appearance of your current van? If so I can see where a newer, better looking van would play in your favor. If not and  yours is mechanically sound, comfortable, and finished the way you like it then I would keep what you have. As people have said, it is better to have the known than the unknown. It is always a good Idea to keep some cash back. You never know what the world will throw at you! Good luck either way.

I can only speak for myself,  but if I were full timing I'd always be keeping an eye on Craig's List and the area I'm traveling through for what is available. (the type, condition, age, and mileage)   It would be a method of thinking
for me.   Likewise for a better generator or whatever. 

With that said, I'd try to start out with the best I could provide for myself.   Something I've gone over and know
very well before taking to the high way.  (not that it couldn't get totaled in a car wreck)  But that's why I like the
2.2.2 system of travel when you travel in the lighter traffic hours and are off the road for the day by 2 pm. (to have a better pick of a camping places)

I 'retired' young on a very small annual budget, because I decided I preferred not working a "real" job to being middle-class in income. I see similarities to your situation and the question I think I would ask myself if I were you is whether you'd prefer to be job-free with a financial cushion in the old van, or comfy in the new van but with a much higher likelihood of having to go back to work. I think you were implying that the old van would cost money here and there, not that you would blow the 10K on nonsense, but it's still probably less than you'd spend for new van + new van outfitting and new van repairs.

^ what they said : )

And... even though our rig is paid off, we still find ourselves tweaking it here and there. We did choose to save and pay for the mods in cash so they are not out of the _budget_. I think it is fairly common for these types of things to be sort of a work-in-progress thingy.

This season's _mod_ is adding a swing out galley box off rear curbside bumper for a bit more camp-side convenience. We have completely given up on the idea of any sort of _stealth_ with our rig. There's just to much trail-bling on the thing to pass as anything other than someone's rolling adventure home.

Happy New Year to all,
Thom

Well, its been awhile so I guess I should contribute my latest thoughts.

Basically, I have decided I am going to upgrade and buy a better van at some point. I really want a high top. However, I will make sure that I keep the purchase price on the low side... probably a late 90s cargo van with raised roof for around $6000. Since I figure I can sell my current van for about $2000, I'm really only out of pocket $4000 and will still have a substantial amount of money for emergency fund. If I ever need to spend part/all of my emergency fund, I will simply just get a second job and work 60 plus hours per week until I have enough saved again.

My ex and I have put money away every month since my kids were born so their education costs are well on their way. I dont want to sound selfish, but I need to look after myself as well and I dont think its asking too much to allow a person to buy a better home/van in which to live.

Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion. It has been very insightful. :)

I'm in a very similar situation , I built my van and its setup perfect , The only thing different about my circumstances is that I have a hightop but I can't quite stand up in it , it needs to be about 5" taller . 
I know that I could just build a section of my roof a little taller next spring and I would have the perfect van but I'm just itching for a whole new project. I Have one in mind but if I buy it where will I park it?  What will I do with my old one , I have so much time and money into it . I would hate for it to go to waste , I feel that the correct thing to do is keep  it and use it up but I have a strong urge to buy the new to me van. Its winter here and I live in my van and I would have to continue living in my current van because its the one with the furnace , wouldn't be able to swap things over until spring. 
If I had a place to park it I'd probably buy it tomorrow.

One Awesome Inch said:
Well, its been awhile so I guess I should contribute my latest thoughts.

Basically, I have decided I am going to upgrade and buy a better van at some point. I really want a high top. However, I will make sure that I keep the purchase price on the low side... probably a late 90s cargo van with raised roof for around $6000. Since I figure I can sell my current van for about $2000, I'm really only out of pocket $4000 and will still have a substantial amount of money for emergency fund. If I ever need to spend part/all of my emergency fund, I will simply just get a second job and work 60 plus hours per week until I have enough saved again.

My ex and I have put money away every month since my kids were born so their education costs are well on their way. I dont want to sound selfish, but I need to look after myself as well and I dont think its asking too much to allow a person to buy a better home/van in which to live.

Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion. It has been very insightful. :)

If you're going to fritter the money away - then I would buy the newer van! So long as you can be relatively sure that's it's a good van with no outstanding mechanical problems. Then sell your van for a couple of grand. Then  for 8K you have a nicer van you can count on for 5 more years.

Everyday you keep the old van.......it is PAYing you back in $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. ie. Lower insurance, lower cost of parts.
Your van has been loyal to you. Why would you turn your back on it, if you could possibly avoid it, if it hasn't totally broken down?
Be good to your van
You have many options.
Your van only has you.