Shocks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22017

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm getting close to leaving over the road.

I think I overlooked learning the suspension stuff, because my camper is kinda small at 1400 lbs. (on a '95 F250). In an old thread here someone posted:

"The shocks that came with your truck will undoubtedly not be up to the task of carrying a camper, overloaded or not. You will want to upgrade. There are two main approaches for shock absorber upgrades. ..."

I drove my truck with the camper on for a solid month last spring and thought I didn't need anything additional done to the truck (besides new tires), but maybe I do. I'm not even sure how to know.

The camper started porpoising a few days before I removed it, but I discovered a ratchet strap (used as a tie down) had fallen off. So I was driving with no straps on the front and two on the back:D

Before that happened I had no problems with the camper.

Everyone kept telling me my truck took bumps so badly because it's a F250. They said it needed weight in the back. The camper maybe helped with bumps. Idk. I was always a little nervous driving it with the camper.

So if it sways, I need sway bar. If it sags, I need leaf springs. If it drives like a school bus, is that normal?[size=medium] Or, is it true that all trucks hauling campers probably need upgraded shocks? I hope not, 'cause that would delay me leaving..
[/size]
[size=medium]
Thanks for your help... again.
[/size]

Well , you'll get all kinds of advice on this every1 knows everything, rite? Lol

You mention you've got an f250? Take your truck & questions to your nearest Ford dealer and let them answer/inspect & correct if necessary.

INTJohn

If it drives fine dont worry about it. Extra weight can make a vehicle wallow if it doesnt already have heavy duty shocks. Mine did. Shocks are an item you can swap in a parking lot if you ever need to.

I agree with Elbear. you either need shocks or you don't. eventually you will need them because they are a wear part.

if you hit a bump and the truck bounces more than once then you need shocks.

good shocks also help with sway and dipping.

never use air shocks

highdesertranger

You don't want air shocks or overload shocks because the shock mounts are not made to support extra weight. Ripping off a shock mount will not be a fun fix. If you need more support get either stiffer springs or air bags (or better yet a bigger truck).

Trucks are designed to carry loads, yet people freak out and think they're stressing the truck when it actually carries a load. As long as the weight doesn't exceed what the truck is rated for, it should be fine.

You also need to look at your tire weight ratings too, they are part of the factor.

It's a 1995, stuff wears out. Take the truck with the camper on it to at least two dealers and get their thoughts and price if that applies. Then make your decision. Neighbors, friends and the internet are not necessarily the correct place to get this type of diagnosis.

just my 2¢

Matlock said:
...Neighbors, friends and the internet are not necessarily the correct place to get this type of diagnosis...

However, the advice of people who want to sell you something is also iffy.  :D

especially Dealers. Dealers or mare than happy to sell you shocks when yours are fine. highdesertranger

I find the best value and performance are the mid-line shocks, Monroe-matic or the Gabriel Guardian, better dampening control than the high dollar model at a more friendly price. The top of the line shocks are just way too soft and allow the body to roll and pitch too much. The mid-line shocks give a nice smooth controlled feel...

It’s not a dealership it’s called a stealership

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm trying to remember if my truck bounces more than once. I think it's more like one serious thud when I hit a bump.

I'm off this morning to buy a different camper than the one I posted about last spring. It's an 8.5 hour drive to buy it (off craigslist), but this one has no leaks/rot. It is very similar to the first one, so I'm guessing weight will be about 1500 lbs. This one is a 2005 versus the 1990.

The only thing I regret (a little) is, like the first one, it has no bathroom and no oven. Just a stovetop. But I want it small. To fit in my bed without it extending past the bed.

If this one leaks or has rot, I'll probably be too embarrassed to post about it (after that first one).

Thata not too bad on bathroom. You either want a big black tank or none at all IMO. so youre paying $10 to dump 2x a week.

I dont use my recirculating toilet. I line in with a bag.

If it does have the slightest signs of leakage after you and someone else (RV mechanic) look it over don't buy it. In fact I would insist on it going to a dealership or RV repair shop before paying. If nothing else use his ladder and hose at his location to check the roof and windows. Even new RV's roofs are seldom guaranteed for more than 12 years and this one is 10 already years old. Just look at the trip as a learning experience if it leaks and enjoy the ride.

Elbear1 said:
Thata not too bad on bathroom. You either want a big black tank or none at all IMO. so youre paying $10 to dump 2x a week.

I dont use my recirculating toilet. I line in with a bag.

I bought a 5 gallon bucket when I got my camper:) Also, bought a $1.00 pool noodle for a seat but it keeps popping off. I might splurge for a proper Luggable Loo someday.

bullfrog said:
If it does have the slightest signs of leakage after you and someone else (RV mechanic) look it over don't buy it...

I told the seller before I left that my biggest concern was water leakage & rot. He was so reassuring;)To make a long story short, the 8.5 hour trip took 12 hours and when I got there the camper was backed up to the wall in the pole building. So, I never went in it. I was tired. It was late. The guy had a pricey home on acreage with new pickup trucks and a new 37 ft. RV. I trusted him... it has a leak. An obvious leak. Nothing like my first camper, but still... I was upset.

The trip home took almost three days. I learned a lot. Learned that my truck is my responsibility and not to rely on others. Had the oil changed at a shop before I left and asked that they check all fluid levels. They said everything was "topped off". Pulled into a gas station for fuel and my truck was smoking. The coolant was bone dry.

And I learned that wind is a big factor when driving with a TC. I thought something was wrong with my truck or camper or something my first day driving back... the camper kept porpoising like crazy. I couldn't go over 45MPH. But the next day it was fine going 55-60. So I'm guessing it was wind direction, because it was even more windy the second day.

The trip confirmed what I already knew... I need proper tie downs.