Sewing Thinsulate

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cammalu

Reaction score
I play around at sewing and am thinking of buying some Thinsulate to add to my giant stash of fabrics. I thought I'd like to make a really pretty quilt type blanket and use the Thinsulate inside. I looked at aerogel but it was cost prohibitive for playing around.

I'm not out there freezing yet and don't really need a warm blanket at this time but I have the time and space right now to sew and want to experiment. Are any of you using Thinsulate for insulation, be it blankets or jackets or? Any comments on it?

Also, if I was to make a blanket or even a throw, are there any ideas of what would be an ideal fabric for the outside? I love to use all my great colored fabrics and still might but am on the fence about using something that may be a bit sturdier - but I'd like beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I kind of like the short furry stuff that I think they call fleece.

I like Climashield rather than trying to sew with something like Thinsulate.

Here's a link to some info on it for you:

http://www.outsideonline.com/1775096/how-does-climashield-compare-other-synthetic-insulators-market

Because its continuous filament it doesn't need to be quilted to remain in place, simply stitch it in around the perimeter. My quilts are 3 years old and have not lost any loft at all. I keep them stored loose in plastic totes when I'm not out in the bush.

I used 2 layers of the 2.5 (all that was available at the time) and with the addition of a single layer fleece liner, I stay warm down to the mid thirties in my hammock.

Here's a link to a good supply source for you: diygearsupply.com/product-category/insulation-foam

For an exterior you can use anything from cotton to ripstop, depending on what you want to have for a finished quilt. Cotton is easy to wash, ripstop sheds water and is used widely by us DIYs for outdoor bedding.

Almost there that's a great source for me - they even have PINK rip stop nylon!!! Woooohooooo!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about making a quilt from thrift store coats? Sometimes you can get them cheap or even free. Cut out the pieces in the shape of the States. You can make your own map. Never seen one like it.

Danny, I already have a huge stash of beautiful fabrics and have the means to buy blankets or whatever I need. I sew as a hobby and just wanted to try to make an extreme insulated blanket that was both usable and pretty. I want to make a "super quilt" [emoji3]. It's just for my own enjoyment. I sew almost daily and am always gifting some craft item away (can't possibly keep it all). I've been making little car trash bags lately and giving them away. I just don't like the look of a plastic garbage bag hanging in my vehicle.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or negative. I like quilts. I just thought a lot of coats and jackets were already insulated and that you could take advantage of that. Most are made of durable fabrics. A map of the USA just seemed to be an appropriate thing for a traveling abode.

Oh Danny I didn't think you were being sarcastic! Darn Internet never gets meanings right does it? I think I actually did see a quilt of the US once

How about hats or caps? Most of the existing commercial Thinsulate hats are very plain...

Almost,

Thanks for the reminder about clmashield. I want to make myself an over quilt for the hammock and that would likely be a good choice.

towhee said:
Almost,

Thanks for the reminder about clmashield. I want to make myself an over quilt for the hammock and that would likely be a good choice.

You're very welcome!

Climashield is wonderful to work with since it needs no quilting. It's a whole lot easier than using down!

I simply laid out the two outside layers with the 'outside' sides together....that sounds strange and one has to think about it carefully. Then laid the Climashield on top. I did make it bigger than the cut fabric and then trimmed it back. Using 2 layers of Climashield was a bit tricky since it tries to stick to each other so it was a bit of a battle to get it smooth - if you can use a single layer now that it's available in different thicknesses, I recommend that approach.

Once sewn around the outside perimeter except for an opening for turning it, I trimmed the excess Climashield off and turned the quilt right side out. After slip stitching the opening I top stitched around the whole perimeter. DONE!!

Neither beautiful nor handmade, my favorite cold weather blanket came from BB&B. It's a ComfortTech fleece/plush blanket on the outsides with a Thinsulate layer in the center. Soft and smooth and much better-warmer than the oldstyle wiry electric blankets.

Looking forward to hearing more about your sewing experience with this!

Almost there, do you know what the advantages of the Climashield are over Thinsulate? Do you know which one is lighter and warmer?

Cammalu said:
Almost there, do you know what the advantages of the Climashield are over Thinsulate?  Do you know which one is lighter and warmer?

Here's from my favorite place to learn real life experiences with insulation - Hammockforums.net

Thinsulate isn't a better insulator by weight than Climashield.

Per this .pdf data sheet, Thinsulate has a CLO/oz value ranging from ~0.4 (for the type 200) to ~0.54 (for the type 40).

Per Thru-Hiker, Climashield APEX has a CLO/oz value in the range of 0.82.

That means, for a given weight of insulation per square yard, that APEX is roughly twice as effective an insulator. Now, this might vary a bit in real testing; for example, the Thinsulate is going to resist compression much better than the Climashield, so if you've got some of your quilt trapped between you and the hammock, the Thinsulate might actually do better. But, on a weight-to-weight basis, Climashield beats Thinsulate all hollow (and 800+ FP down beats both by an huge margin).

That's not to say that Thinsulate doesn't have a place; it's just that weight savings in a quilt (which can be puffy without loss of effectiveness) isn't one of them.

And here's the link to the whole thread which goes on to discuss the various properties of a whole range of insulation:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/55775-Thinsulate

Thanks for that almost there! Now I'm going to look around at price differences.

Latest posts