Service TPMS Light On....Promaster

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cy_5th

Reaction score
Hello,

For those who have a late model Dodge Promaster Van. So I took my van for a tire rotation. Wheels and tires are aftermarket. I got the spare in rotation too. After driving back and then boondocked for one night left in the morning and the service tire pressure system light message is displayed.

I searched online and it says that I can manually reset it with a button. Some just drove it to let it fix itself. I did that and still it's on. I am searching for that button under the steering wheel and I don't think there is one.

Anyone have the same experience?

If I have to I can take it back to Dodge later in the week not a problem (near the RV waste station dump I got to once a week).

Sometimes the sensor gets a speck of dirt on it. Yeah; usually it’ll reset itself after you drive a bit.
How far did you drive? I’ve driven about 40 miles once b4 the thing finally reset itself.

Should be something in the manual on it or find a vid; someone on the Promaster Forum can clue you in.

Edit: Ok; I’m back; there’s a lot on the Promaster Forum on the TPMS…… go figure.
Usual differring stuff depending on year, model, options, etc.
but also, there might be something going on because of being aftermarket- sensors might need a reprogram. Idk; just happen to stumble on that lil possibility.
But basically idk.

Edit#2: also, fyi, I don’t rotate tires on front wheel drive. I Drive till the fronts are down to the wear bars then replace. Drive till the rears gotta go; move front to rear and put new on front; repeat as necessary.
jonny

Last edited:
I did that and still it's on.
I'm not going to be helpful, but... TPMS is a POS like the other federally mandated crap (like traction control).

My light is always on. I have aftermarket wheels also, and did not install the TPMS doohickeys. Offroad and aired down they'd be completely useless anyway. Instead I bought a set of valve caps with pressure sensors and small display for ~$30. This is surprisingly accurate and useful. It alerts me if the pressure falls after I last started the truck, which is exactly what I want. If you've ever been bombing down a rocky dirt road, where your first indication of a leak was bottoming out on a rock and destroying a tire and rim, then you know why I like it...

I don’t rotate tires on front wheel drive.
On my RWD vehicles I usually do it once when they are about half gone. Front tires tend to get more wear on the edges from turning, and swapping front and rear gives a little more overall life. Frequent tire rotations only mask things like poor alignment and other issues.

On my RWD vehicles I usually do it once when they are about half gone. Front tires tend to get more wear on the edges from turning, and swapping front and rear gives a little more overall life. Frequent tire rotations only mask things like poor alignment and other issues.
Same on front wheel drive vehicles although it is usually only the outside edge. You can after rotating front to back do a front to back crisscross putting the wear on the inside. Many people simply inflate the tire slightly in order to wear the center of the tread to catch up with the wear on the edges. Tire wear should be even across the tread and in fact many tire warranties are void if tread is uneven as little as 1/32”! Correct alignment and pressure is important. Low tire pressure improves ride quality but wears outside edges, over inflated tires ride harsher and wear in the middle of the tire more. Generally we travel with heavy loads and need to insure tires are at the upper end of acceptable pressures.