Serious Discussion about modifying 120v AC minifridge to 12v DC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a similar question.  I made the decision to get enough power to run a dorm fridge with an inverter, even though people said I couldn't do it.  It would take too much power.

My thinking was that if I invested the money in power, then I could do many things with the power.  If the fridge turned out to be too fragile to withstand the tight suspension on my Ford E350, then, I'd still have electricity to do something else with.

I put 300W solar on the roof, and attached the alternator charger, as well.  I got two deep-cycle batteries and a 2000W inverter.  I got a dorm fridge with the best energy rating I could find.  I live in CA so most days are sunny enough to run the fridge and my electronic gadgets.  If I were not driving much, I might have a hard time having enough juice during the winter without tilting my panels (which I have not done).

I've been using this setup for three months now, and it's working.

I think the cost may be about the same for my setup as for a smaller setup with a dc fridge.

Renogy 300W kit (on sale)     $450
Two Batteries                          $180
2000W Inverter                     $125
Dorm Fridge (clearance)          $80
Total                                       $835  (not including wires and other bits)

So, if your real issue is the cost of a dc fridge (which was my issue), you might consider a plan like mine.  I've only been running it three months, so I don't know how it will perform in the long run.

Good Luck