Self build hightop?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgorila1

Reaction score
I have been researching using foam panels to build various parts, and watched some videos of a complete pickup camper that a guy built with foam board and covered with carbon fiber cloth. It was tough as nails and came out nice.  I was wondering if it would be worth considering making a high top for a van using this method, one of the big reasons being I could build it to fit my height (6'4"). 
    Does anyone have experience building structures with foam and provide feedback on the feasibility of a self built high top?

Dgorila1 said:
Does anyone have experience building structures with foam and provide feedback on the feasibility of a self built high top?

Th bigger question is do you have experience building things like that out of anything, or at least out of fiberglass and resin? You didn't say whether you do. If not, there are so many things that could go wrong. On one hand you could have the immense pride of accomplishing something you've never done before, perfectly, and on the other hand you could have a costly mountain of failure and regrets. Do you have the financial resources to scrap Plan A if you fail and go to Plan B? Or can you at least afford to learn on a junker van (or two) first? Meanwhile, there are people like Fiberine, with decades of experience, who can give you enough headroom, perfectly, without breaking a sweat.

I built an enclosed stand up camper trailer using Poor Mans Fiberglass (PMF). I was in a hurry and had looked at bonded plywood/ foam/aluminum (SIP) panels as a base because I was concerned about strength. I did what everybody said not to do, couldn't be done and wouldn't last. Instead of high dollar and heavy SIP panels or even 2" foam sheets at $40 a 4' x 8' sheet I used $20 interior doors. At 30 pounds a door not as light as foam but super rigid and lighter than SIP panels. Put 1/4 " plywood on them and fill them with spray foam and my 200 lbs can jump on them. Use the sock method of PMF and you would have a hard time getting them to break with a hammer, but most importantly it completely waterproofs them. I still haven't tried aluminum screen wire between the cloth but it is bound to be like rebar in concrete, even if you could crack in it wouldn't come apart. I have no doubt you can build a better top than you can buy new. Paul Elkins built a tent type shelter that slots and is duct taped together out of the cheap one sided foil backed foam that he stands on top of for burning man photos. I have pulled my trailer for almost 10,000 miles at highway speeds with no problems. I backed into a 4" limb which when it broke off and the jagged end dented the foam but didn't pierce the cloth. I dropped a corner of a 1' square steel tubing scaffold covered with 1/8" expanded metal from about 6' above (over 100 pounds) it pierced the cloth, outside of the masonite door coating but not the inner and took about $2 worth of materials to fix and not including the drying times 15 minutes to fix. I would guess if you wanted to build something insulated to keep out the elements it would cost maybe $500 and that includes what ever tools you might need. If you wanted something to mount solar panels on and be able to walk on maybe $650. If painted white or some other forgiving color it will be mistaken for fiberglass by most people. I think fitting it to the roof would be the most time consuming part. Junkyard could probably supply a used fiberglass topper cheaper than you could build one but you could build a much sturdier one for the same money and a lot of sweat. PM me if you can't find answers in tntt forums. Unlike fiberglass this only requires rubber gloves and a paint brush. This is a modern spin on 1900's tech.

highdesertranger said:
wouldn't a 24 inch high top give you enough head room?  highdesertranger

I'm not sure what size top I would need for good headroom. I was just looking at the various manufacturers and saw 24" and 30" ones available for most vans.

Dgorila1 said:
I'm not sure what size top I would need for good headroom. I was just looking at the various manufacturers and saw 24" and 30" ones available for most vans.

American vans are about 4.5 feet from bare floor to the joint of the walls and roof. So a 24" would give you 6.5 feet. Yo'd probably want a 30" one.

MrNoodly said:
American vans are about 4.5 feet from bare floor to the joint of the walls and roof. So a 24" would give you 6.5 feet. Yo'd probably want a 30" one.

That's what I was thinking. Would give me the height of a transit high top for a fraction of the cost.

built entire motorcycle fairing kits from fiberglass. It's easy and not really expensive to actually lay down the matting. the problem comes in when you need vacuum bags to force the mat to lay smooth. if you can build/shape/contour wood or foam to the dimensions you need all you have to do is coat that in mold release and start laying wet mat down (wet means coated with resin). once it cures the mold release underneath is melted with warm water.

that makes your mold. you will repeat the process on the underside of the that. you wont have multiple contours so you can do it as one big piece.

If it were me I would use 90 angle iron welded to the roof to fasten the whole thing down from there.

pics of homemade molds
[img=640x483]
[img=640x483]

painted on the bike

[img=640x483]
[img=640x478]

Great work. Seriously.

Now build something five feet wide, twelve feet long and two feet high. ;)

no problem...easier than small high detail, high contoured things. You'd just lay matting down whole and brush on the resin.

the big caveat is the inside will be rough molded like the outside of my molds. I'm sure there are ways to deal with that though. carpeting, etc

Bardo you have some skills. That mold is really close, mine usually required a lot of sanding. Foam coated with PMF as foam melts with some fiberglass is sometimes great to make molds as well.

thanks I but I cant get a job to save my life

you can get foam made for fiberglassing

I've been trying to keep from having a job since I retired 13 years ago, skills are becoming out dated, or as my wife says I've exceeded my freshness date, so I guess I'm succeeding.

Dgorila1 said:
I have the 24" high top and with losing some headroom to floor (1") and the ceiling (1 1/4"), standing height measures 6'2".

This is on a 2002 GMC Savana 2500.

Almost There said:
I have the 24" high top and with losing some headroom to floor (1") and the ceiling (1 1/4"), standing height measures 6'2".

This is on a 2002 GMC Savana 2500.

Did you have the high top installed after you bought the van and if so what brand is it? Do you like the quality and install?

I came here looking for people who have done this. I cant find any high tops to buy except for a couple grand minimum plus delivery, from the fiberglass companies. I came a cross a video, something like "how to waterproof anything" and it really looks like with enough planning this would be the way to go for me. He basiclly made an upside down high top, or flat boat sorta thing, out of plywood and fiberglass cloth. Im looking for a balance between cheap and strong. I just REALLY want to be able to stand up!! Itll be one year in January Ive been dwelling full time and I gotta stand up... [emoji5]

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk