Seen this type of rig?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
Howdy!
       Spied three of these at a Chevy dealer's Service Department, had to stop and check them out. The box looks to be larger than a Sprinter and smaller than a regular ambulance. They had government plates on them and the Service Manager said they belonged to Little Rock Air Force Base. They probably use them as crew transports? I have never seen these, do any of you know what they are called? There were no spec tags on the box, no name, nothing to indicate who built them. One did have a very faded sticker "Osage Indian Nation" over the rear door. Call them a "Class C Minus"? They appear to be around 6'2" tall on the inside of the box, made to stand up in. Looks like a 2/3 size ambulance or a small box van with windows/doors factory added.
       I like the windows and side door, the wide rear doors would allow a motorcycle to be loaded. The rigs had single wheel rear axles which I prefer to the dual wheels on an ambulance. The box was basically stripped except for two bench seats than ran along the walls. The box is made of aluminum sheeting with a welded aluminum frame. All three rigs had "ambulance type" (run off the engine) air conditioning units mounted in the box.
       This unit has really piqued my interest. Looks all set to go for an interior build. The advantages of a van but the room of a 2/3 ambulance in size and weight. Stock Chevy chassis = cheaper to maintain vs. an ambulance maybe? Regular rear suspension vs. ambulance airbags. I will ride  to the Air Force Base later this week to find out anything I can about this rig and who makes them. More importantly, when might these go on military salvage auction?
      Van too small, Class B/Ambulance too much, Class C too big? This rig looks perfect! I think I want one.......... I'll keep y'all informed if I find out any details from the USAF.

Happy Trails!
Chuck

Attachments

• 0303171251-011.jpg
    0303171251-011.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 0303171251-001.jpg
    0303171251-001.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 22
  • 0303171252-011.jpg
    0303171252-011.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 0303171253-001.jpg
    0303171253-001.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 17
I like that! If you can find out the box maker too, be greatly appreciated!

Those are used to transport captured/rescued alien pilots to quarantine at Roswell.

These are usually diesels, if that matters. I considered one when I was looking for a van. It was still painted Air Force blue. It was tempting, but I didn't want to deal with a diesel.

When did the USAF begin using these box trucks? When I was in the USAF in the late '70s, we had Chevy stepvans as our flightline vehicles.

Somebody here a couple years ago bought one of these ex Air Force crew vans. 6.5 turbodiesel I believe. Hmm, I cant remember who it was but they got a good deal and liked it however they were very experienced with the old GM 6.5... Confirm the motor and make sure you are comfortable with that drivetrain.

Maybe someone will remember the OP from years ago. He had a lot to say about it.

Interesting. All the disadvantages of a step-van with none of the conveniences of a B-van.

MrNoodly said:
These are usually diesels, if that matters. I considered one when I was looking for a van. It was still painted Air Force blue. It was tempting, but I didn't want to deal with a diesel.

Nope! All three (two Chevys and one Ford) were all gasoline V-8s/automatic transmissions. Do you know how the Air Force refers to these vehicles as I'd like to get one! Searching government auction sites now..........

Qdini said:
Nope! All three (two Chevys and one Ford) were all gasoline V-8s/automatic transmissions. Do you know how the Air Force refers to these vehicles as I'd like to get one! Searching government auction sites now..........

They're known generically as a "line truck."  Perhaps they have an actual name, but I've never heard them called anything else.  They're used on the flight line for transporting ground crew to and from aircraft.  When I was in the Navy (a million years ago) there were dozens of them on Anderson AFB on Guam supporting the B-52s.  In those days (just post-Viet Nam) the Air Force used Step-Van "bread trucks" for the task.  These have apparently taken over the role.

It looks similar to the box on the CUCV truck based ambulance, which was known as the M1010, just with an extra side door.
used_1984_chevrolet_d30_ambulance_m1010cucv_1151_6077924_2_640.jpg

Qdini said:
Nope! All three (two Chevys and one Ford) were all gasoline V-8s/automatic transmissions.

Since they're white with gasoline engines, I guess they were speced for some other application. Otherwise, the boxes appear to be the same.

Lost in the world said:
It looks similar to the box on the CUCV truck based ambulance, which was known as the M1010, just with an extra side door.
used_1984_chevrolet_d30_ambulance_m1010cucv_1151_6077924_2_640.jpg
Lost in the World:
      You have my mindset down perfectly. The CUCV Ambo is/was the first choice to replace my Class B, still researching them in fact. Then I saw these rigs...heck, they're already 90% finished in my eyes. Yep, the boxes look to be very close in size. These "mystery vehicles" could have been Government medical transports on an Indian Nation before being "acquired" by the Air Force. I have no idea but they do look more "medical" than anything else. They could be nifty "Line Trucks" as suggested but lack the interior handholds I've seen on other air crew trucks. Anyways.....I'll be visiting the Air Force Base shortly to investigate the origins of these trucks. Maybe they're on their way to auction? These just struck me as the perfect sized camper conversion vehicles for my particular use with a modern chassis. I have never seen one before.

Still, being a retired Army medic, I like the idea of re-purposing an Army ambulance, the stoutness of their drive-trains and the fact one could load a motorcycle through the back-doors. Not to mention 4WD! Do you have an insight/experience/opinion about the CUCV Ambos? I'd like to know all I can find out about using them as conversion campers. I already have plenty of first hand experience in how they drive! Off line PM would be great as this is now off-subject.

Thanks!
Chuck

Used by the military to transport personnel.  Mostly used by the Air Force.  I own an older one.   That one in the picture the box is made by Grunman

Mine is older

Attachments

• van2.jpg
    van2.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 3
  • van1.jpg
    van1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 5
arctic cat said:
Used by the military to transport personnel.  Mostly used by the Air Force.  I own an older one.   That one in the picture the box is made by Grunman

Mine is older

Go to http://www.govplanet.com/  the older ones they sell are usually diesel. 
Look for them under VAN

Great find and a great idea. I'll be interested to see what you find out about the origins of these and how to buy one.