Seeking expert opinions on this van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtothis123

Reaction score
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Hey vandwellers, nomads, and vagabonds, I'm in need of your advice. My girlfriend and I have been working harder than ever to make the van life possible and we intend to move out west this winter. We've recently come across a van posting on Craigslist, but we're unsure about going forward with it. See, there's not a whole lot available in our area (either its rusty, out of our price range, or not what we[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]'re looking for). So when we came across this 1990 Ford E150 by Sunray we were stoked. He is asking $5500 for it. Today we had a mechanic come out and inspect it. His conclusion was that it was only worth $3500 because of the mild transmission fluid and oil leaks, shotty transmission hose patches, and slightly rusty underside. Obviously he could not check the suspension without a lift, but we did drive it on dirt and highway and she seems to float (like expected). We've already put a $500 deposit on it which the guy said would be refundable if we wanted to pull out or werent approved for an auto loan. So here's my question, do we pay $5500 and fix whatever repairs are necessary (and hope there are no major repairs), completely back out, or offer him a lower amount of cash? My girlfriend and I don't have a lot of extra money to be spending on potential repairs. You guys are the experts, what do y'all think?[/font]

Most mechanics won't have an idea of the value of the conversion side,

his job is to evaluate if there's anything major wrong with the mechanicals.

If they're OK, it's up to you to compare the van, its price compared to your local market and your finances.

I would not get such an old vehicle without at least a few grand more set aside for repairs, and try to build that fund up over time

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?pid=353330#pid353330

I assume you can not do any of the work yourself?

If a mechanic told you what he feels it is worth, then there is your cash offer. I wouldn't go any deeper in than that.

Trans work is not cheap, and any oil leak will be costly as well. Now, if you wanted to learn and do those things yourself, you can tackle both repairs in a weekend of hard/greasy work and for under $200 in parts and tools. As for not wanting to spend a lot on potential repairs... well, if you can't fix things yourself, you WILL spend a lot for all future repairs. And there will be repairs, both big and small, with a vehicle that old.

Me... I'd pick it up for $3k or so, but 5k is a bit on the high side (although the interior seem nice). It is a great candidate to learn to fix cars yourself. The parts will be cheap and the work will be easy compared to modern vehicles. Not a whole lot of moving parts either, nice and simple. Probably has a 302ci V8 in there, which are fantastic engines.

$5500 for a 1990 van.............. no thanks..

Maybe $3500 max, you may need that extra $2000 for repairs.

My advise to anyone who can't do at least some of the repairs themselves is to NOT EVEN CONSIDER buying something that old.  Mechanical problems are going to come, fast and furious, and they will most likely eat your budget alive.  I see threads like this, and it makes me cringe thinking about the bad stuff that will likely happen down the road for the people involved.   There's a lot of encouragement on this site to not let fear deter you in your plans, but often discretion is the better part of valor.

So what to do if the money available is just a few grand, and getting out of the S&B is the change required to start savings more?

With minimal driving, basically just using it for shelter, saving every penny for the Van Fund, and using my budgeting scheme above, someone could build up to a sustainable position within a few months.

Getting into a newer vehicle is not always an option.

If being used mostly for shelter and with minimal driving to save money, yeah, that could work.  Going out on the road, into remote locations?  Bad idea.

I think we all realize that getting a newer vehicle is not always an option.  The newest vehicle I've ever owned had 75k on it already, and most started out well north of 100k.  If I couldn't work on them, they'd have eaten me alive in repair costs.

I agree that every non-wealthy car owner should learn to DIY much as possible.

But for some, physical disability is a barrier.

I'd go with my gut on this one,
You said rust underneath?
Is it body or frame? If it's body but not bad that's repairable but if the frame is showing lots of rust move on.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk