Seats that recline into a bed? (Suv/m-van)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda_Sue

Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any SUVs or minivans that have seats that recline well enough to become a bed, or recline onto the row  behind, giving longer "bed space". 

Just doing a quick search I see that Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey can come with actual recliners in the second row (I think I saw somewhere that the Pacifica does, too). 

I've considered both of those vehicles, but didn't want to deal with removing all the seats, but if they can serve double-duty that might work.

I'm currently driving a 2014 Dodge Journey, and I'm itching to see what I can do but it's completely filled up with my gear right now :) . If anyone has insights regarding the Journey, I would be interested to hear that . TIA!!

Linda_Sue said:
I'm currently driving a 2014 Dodge Journey, and I'm itching to see what I can do but it's completely filled up with my gear right now :) . If anyone has insights regarding the Journey, I would be interested to hear that . TIA!!
I am not sure that you need to do anything other than get a roof top box for your excess gear. Fold down the seats and spread out a pad to sleep on.   Take a look at the photo of the Dodge Journey with the seats folded down. Your feet can extend out over the passenger seat which folds down. I think the got the image mirrored or else it was made for the UK  http://bright-cars.com/photo/dodge-journey-rt-27/12/default.html

This is an image of a 2017 Dodge Journey showing just the passenger side seats folded down for transporting a kayak inside. Looks to me like you can have just half of it for a bed if you wanted to.

Seems more versatile than my Honda Element as far as being comfortable for a ready made bed, but not nearly as much head room.

Thanks, Lorelei, I don't think mine recline that flat but I will double-check.

maki2 said:
This is an image of a 2017 Dodge Journey showing just the passenger side seats folded down for transporting a kayak inside. Looks to me like you can have just half of it for a bed if you wanted 
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Oh I wish I had a passenger seat like that, I had one in my old car (Vibe). It's a small thing, but I miss that feature. The Dodge Journey that I have now has rounded, padded back.[/font]

I currently have my bed the way you suggest. I was hoping if I switched to a minivan, there might actually be something that can be figured with (some of) the existing chairs,  and also have some floor space.

If you can sacrifice some seats and want a permanent bed then have a look what I have done with Grand Caravan (it is a bit bigger than Journey but otherwise very similar): https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=33524

You still can have two seats and a bed with all your possessions underneath.

Also, watch this video made by owner of this website: