Seatbelts Do Save Lives!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yesican

Reaction score
<p style="margin: 0px;">Today, I witnessed the unnecessary death of a beautiful 8 year old boy.&nbsp; My heart hurts, my head is numb, and I feel somewhat confused.&nbsp; Please allow me to vent.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp; I was headed the 30 miles home after seeing my last patient, (I'm a homecare nurse), and decided to take the Escape route which knocks off 8 miles but has no traffic to speak especially now due to the sloppy muddy conditions from snow melt.&nbsp; A big Blazer came up behind me so that when I turned onto the Escape route, I pulled to the side and slowed to let it pass.&nbsp; Thirty seconds later I see it flipping on the road, flinging stuff.&nbsp; I immediately dialed 911.&nbsp; As I pulled up to the scene, the Blazer lay on its side.&nbsp; I didn't want to go see what was inside, it couldn't be good, but the dispatcher kept encouraging me to go look.&nbsp; As I got out of my car, a young woman came to the back of the truck and was screaming and trying to pull something from beneath it.&nbsp; When I got up there, the head and arm of a young boy stuck out from beneath the Blazer.&nbsp; His eyes were lifeless, and no breaths could be seen (how could he, he had a ton of weight on his chest).&nbsp; There was no use doing CPR and I couldn't move the truck.&nbsp; I felt helpess, afraid, and so wanting to make that boy come back to life.&nbsp; All I could do was place my hand on the shoulder and back of the sobbing mom as she cradled the dead boy's head and I talked to dispatch until the first responder arrived about 6 minutes or so later.&nbsp; It was another minute or two before there were enough young men to push the vehicle up enough to scoot that lifeless boy from under the truck.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;&nbsp; I&nbsp;sat with mom in the trooper's vehicle before they took her to the hospital to be checked, she told me that she was toldby the nurse at the clinic to&nbsp;rush him to the clinic before it closed because he had a 104 fever, so she picked him up and laid him in the back and "rushed" to the clinic.&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;What could I say that could ease her guilt.&nbsp; Yes, he would be alive if he were wearing a seatbelt, but she did what she thought was best for her son because he was sick and it was more comfortable to lay than sit strapped in a seat.&nbsp; Now her son is dead, and she will forever live with that guilt.&nbsp; I just held her, prayed for her in silence, and let her know that she was not a terrible mom or person as she claimed but that terrible things happen to good people.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp; Please, wear your seatbelts and make sure everyone in your vehicle has one to wear and uses it.&nbsp; What a heavy heart and a useless death.&nbsp; He was such a beautiful little boy!</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp; Thanks for letting me vent.&nbsp; I was there a total of 2 1/2 hours because of the troopers doing the investigation.&nbsp; When I left, I went straight to my daughter's, hugged her, and sobbed for the first time tonight.&nbsp; I will be alright but this has forever changed my life.</p>

Hi yesican, I believe there will be a special reward in heaven for people like you...nurses, emergency responders, etc. You routinely&nbsp;deal with the things you just described firsthand, while the rest of us can sit back in the comfort of our "homes" and learn of them thru the news media. Thank you for your service.<BR>As for wearing seatbelts, a couple of days ago three young men ran off the road just south of our small town and hit the guardrail on a bridge. None were wearing seatbelts.&nbsp;The driver was killed outright, one passenger was airlifted 75 miles away to a hospital that could treat his massive injuries and the other passenger is in a local&nbsp;hospital with many non-life threatening injuries.&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Thanks Starman and Sparky1.&nbsp; I really do hope that everyone wears their seatbelts.&nbsp; It is those who are alive and uninjured that often suffer the most.&nbsp; Wearing your seatbelt can save those who love you from pain. </p><p style="margin: 0px;">Wearing seatbelts is a simple selfless thing to do!</p>

Glad you posted this, maybe being vocal will save someone.<br>I am a believer in belts- lost a friend years ago because he was partially ejected in a roll over, recently two young fellas were thrown from and died, yet a belted third passenger walked away in an end over end crash.....and yes, there are many more hurt than the victims....<br>Bless you, and the parents. Can only imagine their pain.<br><br>

I'm sorry you had to witness something like that, but I'm glad you told the story. All too often people are killed needlessly because they refuse to wear their seat belts, same goes for a helmet while riding a motorcycle. I have known of many people that were killed because they didn't think it was "cool" to wear a helmet, and I absolutely think they are dead wrong. I have a trike and ride my grandchildren all the time and I have rigged up a seat belt across the lap and a shoulder strap for them to wear while they are riding with me, and I at least have the knowledge that if I have to slam on my brakes, my grand child will not go flying off my bike and no one rides with me if they don't wear the helmet. Even if it is 100 degrees out side I still wear my helmet. Hopefully you have saved someones life with the reminder of things like this, you are a very good person, thank you.

<p style="margin: 0px;">Thank you all for your concern. &nbsp;I believe I was put in that position for a reason.&nbsp; I only hope the mom will make it emotionally and anyone else may think twice before not buckling up.&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">Judy...I too wear my helmet when on&nbsp;the motorcycle.&nbsp; I only have one brain and it would take much to damage what little is left.&nbsp; Helmet goes on before I swing my leg over the seat!</p>

That's a rough thing to go through.<div><br></div><div><br></div><div>I never remember putting my seatbelt on when I get in the car, it's just so automatic to put it on.</div>