Sealing Roof Holes - 2018 Transit?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderingCanuck

Reaction score
I got up on a ladder this past weekend to inspect the roof of my van.  I discovered to my surprise that there used to be a rack installed and no one plugged the holes after it was removed.  This is a 2018 Ford Transit with factory threaded mounting holes.

I talked to one outfitter that suggested using a bolt, washer, and butyl tape.  The place I purchased the van said he'd send me "plugs", but no idea what I could expect in the mail... and really don't want to wait to find out.  I'll bet an envelope full of press-fit ("Christmas tree") plugs arrive if I go that route.

What's the best way to seal these while keeping the ability to mount a rack in the future?  Does Butyl tape remove and clean up easily?

Thanks..

A simple bolt and washer should suffice.

Reducto said:
A simple bolt and washer should suffice.

Yeah, before all that was keeping the roof from leaking was a bolt, washer and the metal of the rack.

But to be safe, you could add an O-ring on the bolt.

He's probably sending you some of the original plugs removed during an upfit………….

I have a Transit...…The factory  mounting points are great......right at a structural rib in the roof…….the bolt/holes are metric # 8 or 10's...…..they have a "depth" stop so don't make them too long or they'll bottom out...……..

And yes you need to seal them with SOMETHING...or they'll leak...……..

An RV TAPE like Eternabond would make a simple repair without a bolt...……

https://www.amazon.com/WHITE-Eternabond-Mobile-Rubber-Repair/dp/B077SHW98Q/ref=asc_df_B077SHW98Q

doug

Thanks for the suggestions.

While purchasing my snow tires at a Ford Dealership today I inquired about it. I got a bit of run around, but everyone was genuinely trying to help - they just didn't have any solution. Some didn't even know/believe there were factory hardware mounting points under "stickers". After my visit a few of them are much better educated about what's on top of a Transit.

So the guy from the collision repair department gave me a piece of "crash wrap" to cut pieces from and cover the holes temporarily. The stuff is a plastic film with low tack adhesive used to keep damaged cars dry while awaiting repairs. I cut some rectangles and climbed back up tonight to put them on until I can do something more permanent.

It looks like the paint was damaged a little where the rack was rubbing, and some surface rust starting, so I'll want to address that too.

abnorm said:
He's probably sending you some of the original plugs removed during an upfit………….

Yes, likely. Needless to say I'm not impressed with the oversight. We'll see if I'm any more impressed with the provided solution. I asked him to mail them.  We'll see.

I have the Transit as well and had the OEM roof rack with 4 bars, Had to remove 2 of them for my solar install. I re installed the bolts with a fender washer and butyl tape/dicor which is easier to clean up than Eternabond. No leaks 2 years on. The Eternabond alone will work just a little more work to remove and clean.

IF I used Eternabond to (temporary) patch the holes…..I certainly would NOT try and remove it...……just open the hole thru the tape......

If it was mine I would get a old inter tube and a fender washer cut the tube between. Roof ant fender washer and tighten down with bolt

Lots of temporary fix solutions already posted, but why not permanently and properly fix it? It really isn't very difficult and only costs a few dollars in materials. 

Assuming a sheet metal roof - Just simply JB Weld a penny (or a dime if you are feeling rich) on the inside of the hole. Then Bondo in the hole from the outside and sand down to a smooth surface. Paint and you are done. Never again will water come in that hole. 

Fiberglass roof? Pick up a small amount of fiberglass resin (Walmart carries some) and follow the instructions to fill in the hole (tape inside, fill hole with resin, let it dry). Super easy to use and it is fixed.

Sounds like a great solution, but you missed the part about it being removable for when I am ready to install my own rack later on.

Note that I have the skills and equipment to do complex machining and fabrication, so something more complex than a bolt and washer isn't outside the realm of possibility. Not that I necessarily have a problem with the bolt and washer. I would definitely do more to seal it though than just rely on the interfaces between parts.

How about a noncorosive allen screw with some good flexible marine thread sealant?

I had to fill a couple of mine after I took down one of the factory roof bars as well. I did save the plugs that originally plug the hole. But I think you could putting a new bolt in with a washer should cover it. You would still need to make sure it is water tight by covering it with either the eternal bond or dicor. I used the dicor for mine.

There might also be some unused factory plugs up there that have not been opened yet. I have read of a few people having water leak into them because the paint around the plug cracked and thats about the only thing keeping the water out. While I was up there with the dicor I went ahead and put some over those as well because I don't ever plan to use them and I would rather avoid any chance of a leak no matter how small the odds are.

highdesertranger said:
get on building that rack.  highdesertranger

Indeed.  Unfortunately too many higher priorities and temporarily low financial resources prevent it for at least a few months.

deadwood said:
There might also be some unused factory plugs up there that have not been opened yet. I have read of a few people having water leak into them because the paint around the plug cracked and thats about the only thing keeping the water out.

I've also heard about this, but there might have been a change since then. Mine (2018) are more like stickers; stiff rubber about 1/16" thick and maybe 1-1/2 diameter with adhesive. They get painted over, but there's plenty of overlap so it shouldn't leak if the paint were to crack.

Not the brightest design if you ask me. For a few dollars more per vehicle there could be nice engineered bolt on caps with proper gaskets.

bullfrog said:
How about a noncorosive allen screw with some good flexible marine thread sealant?

I have some stainless socket head cap screws ready to go. I want to source some stainless washers to match. Then I think I'll goop it up with butyl tape until round 3.