Saw this on the road - custom truck house.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
Happened to see this pull into the same gas station when I was on my way to Virginia for a job. Funny, since it's very similar in concept to what I want to build! An old truck with a house and overcab stick-built on to it.

It looks to be roughly 20-22 feet, which is right where I want to end up too. My overcab may be a little shorter though - looks like theirs hinders visibility! I wonder if he has a camera set up so he can see traffic lights when he pulls up to an intersection...

Also interesting that they used conventional windows throughout. I'm curious about those front "bubble" windows.

Did not get any other pictures or talk to them, we were both on the go.

Attachments

• 20171127_154028.jpg
    20171127_154028.jpg
    994.5 KB · Views: 131
yeah, you want to stay away from residential windows. looks like they had to add a brace in the front for the overhang, that is a big overhand. highdesertranger

I'm not sure the traffic behind him could see the light either!

Yeah, I have planned to add a front brace, too.

Anyone know what the truck itself is?

It seems everybody tends to over build these things, there are lots of lighter stronger methods for building now days. As we get older getting up into the cab over area might not happen anyways. Stick construction requires huricane/earth quake plates type construction on a vehicle in order to stay together, but as my dad always told me when I critisized his construction methods " I'm building this for me and I ain't gonna last another 20 years, go build your own damn house!" I'm really liking using wood dowelling instead of metal fastners as it flexes instead of loosing up. I screw and glue it together then replace the screw with a wooden dowel plus it doesn't attract moisture like the metal screw. Poor Man's Fiberglass is my new best friend.

bullfrog said:
It seems everybody tends to over build these things, there are lots of lighter stronger methods for building now days.  As we get older getting up into the cab over area might not happen anyways.   Stick construction requires huricane/earth quake plates type construction on a vehicle in order to stay together, but as my dad always told me when I critisized his construction methods " I'm building this for me and I ain't gonna last another 20 years, go build your own damn house!"  I'm really liking using wood dowelling instead of metal fastners as it flexes instead of loosing up.  I screw and glue it together then replace the screw with a wooden dowel plus it doesn't attract moisture like the metal screw.  Poor Man's Fiberglass is my new best friend.

I'm not sure what your point was. How are you suggesting a truck house SHOULD be built?

I think what he means is the common mistake people make when they build these is they build it like a regular house with studs, residential windows and such. built the right way there would be no need that front support. highdesertranger

With more modern lighter/stronger methods like foam-core aluminum sandwich panels. Not to mention more streamlined design.

Better insulation, safer, much less weight so better mpg.

The old-timey wood look can be replicated as a skin if desired.