saving $ of your money at Petco

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
One thing I learned from an employee at Petco that has since saved me quite a few dollars this last year when shopping in the store. The online prices at Petco are often lower than the price at the store and the store will price match the lower cost. Just this week we saved $20.00 total for two items, ear drops for the dogs and feline tapeworm, they were both $10.00 higher in the store than online.

If you go to the store and see an item you need try using your smart phone to check the price online at Petco. You can also check prices for the same exact item  on Amazon or other sites. Show them the item price on your phone display screen when you check out and they will do a price match adjustment for the lower cost. Sometimes the sales prices at the store are slightly better than online but more typically you do get a substantial enough savings that it is worth taking the time to check online. I do this for the cat litter, cat and dog food, medications, shampoos, etc. 

Of course if you have to pay by the minute for phone time it might not be worth doing.

Do you know some good tips for extra savings on your pet supplies?

009.JPG
My two boys...Beans, a 15 lb blue point and Zak an 8 lb seal point.  Taking a sunbath under the big skylight in the workshop space. We built them a skybridge with safety rails and a non-slip gang plank to get up into the dome so they could watch the birds and catch the rays. Yes, they are spoiled :)

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Maki can I see the rest of that setup? Nice cats!

Another thing I learned from a vet friend that always saved me lots of money is that frontline is the same for cats and dogs. He told me to buy the one for the largest dog and use a syringe to measure out the proper dose for the smaller animals. I don’t have a lot of fur friends now but when I had various cats and dogs that made a huge difference. I could put the flea liquid on all of them for the price of one.

Cammalu said:
Maki can I see the rest of that setup?  Nice cats!

Another thing I learned from a vet friend that always saved me lots of money is that frontline is the same for cats and dogs. He told me to buy the one for the largest dog and use a syringe to measure out the proper dose for the smaller animals. I don’t have a lot of fur friends now but when I had various cats and dogs that made a huge difference. I could put the flea liquid on all of them for the price of one.
I have used the Frontline for the dogs on cats. Actually my Vet told me to do it back in the day when Frontline was the premium choice they were selling. She gave me the syringe and wrote the prescribed dosage on the box. It did save a lot of money. This fall though Frontline did not knock out all the fleas which was why I was buying tape worm medication. Life with cats has it down side.

I tried to get a photo for you but shooting up into a skylight washes out the details due to the high contrast of light and dark. It is up there at 11' high so I can't  get a good angle on it in the limited area to show how it is supported.

Good tip, though PetCo can be so ridiculously expensive that I wouldn't be surprised if their best prices weren't too hard to find elsewhere every day.