"Saturday Night Palsy"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
In the last several weeks I started experiencing numbness in my right arm as if it's asleep/tingly/etc. It loses feeling during the day while I'm doing things.

In mentioning this to friends one told me of a condition known as "Saturday Night Palsy," referring to drunkards who pass out on their arms resulting in permanent nerve damage due to blood deprivation.

As long as I can remember I've always slept with my right arm under my pillow. After she mentioned this condition, I can recall more often waking up in the middle of the night with my arm asleep since beginning the van life than I ever did before. (And no, I'm not actually collapsing drunk on my arm - I drink, but not like that.)

I've been trying not to sleep on my arm for weeks now but I still wake up in the middle of the night with my arm asleep. And my arm is still weak/numb/tingly/messed up during the day. Why would this become a greater problem in the mobile life? Is my mattress too firm? It is a cheap futon mattress. What can I do to avoid it? I consciously do not put my arm under my pillow but I wake with it there. Do I need to tie my arm to my waist when I go to bed? :(

Just posting in case anyone has experience with this and can offer advice.

I had that syndrome before I switched to a memory foam mattress. I've not experienced that since the switch.

I wouldn't think it's the mobile life. More likely it's the accumulation of years sleeping in that position

I sleep on my right side every night, if I sleep on my left I can feel my pacemaker and it just sort of weirds me out. And Yes, I wake up with the right hand tingles.Gone by the second cup of coffee.

Several months ago you changed the way you earn a living.  Muscles have built up where they did not used to be around the upper body / neck area.  

I have first seen this when working at the Spa's in the Napa Valley among the massage folks.  They would take B100 vitamins to try to counter this.   

In my understanding where the nerves come out of the upper spine they tend to be pinched by the muscles. A good neck massage and a warm pack works on the short to medium term.  Look into chiropractic or rice hull pillows. (Separate items) 

It got so bad for me that I have had 5 vertebrae replaced in the last 15 years.  I now sleep on a recliner. My case was made worse by bone spurs. (Genetic)

Any neck injuries in your past? Do any stretches?

Try some different pillows. When i sleep on my back. One pillow. My side requires two or my shoulder gets hammered.

In august 2000  I woke up with BOTH arms numb and tingly from the shoulders down.  I had previous shoulder injuries  on both sides . 

A high level of physical activity at work the night before had caused internal swelling and nerves in wrists and shoulders, elbows too were reacting.   Turns out I had carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands. 

After surgery on the right hand  I then declined the 2nd on the left.  For over a year now I have numbness and tingling sensations daily in my left hand and arm.  Next step for me is a complete nerve mapping of my body and then more surgery if I choose it. 
 If you've never had wires stuck in nerves and electricity sent thru them U R IN FOR A SHOCK  :huh: 

I always sleep on my sides and use small pillows in front to lean against for support and also when needed one under my hand.  Also a simple wrist support to sleep in can relieve the pressure on the nerve bundle in the wrist by keeping the wrist from bending.

Like an earlier poster I would suggest a Drs appt.    Maybe a neurologist or orthopedist. 

Jewellann

Pls see a doctor. I have arm numbness at night from sleeping on them. Made worse by bursitis. Different sleeping postures for me a result of sleeping in a different parking spot each night, never quite level in any consistent way. Cheapest bet: experiment with posture, pillows each night. Good luck!!

The last few years I have been dealing with a nerve impingement in my neck and an older injury to my rotator cuff.  They both affected my left arm and combined made sleeping unbearable for a while.  I'm a back sleeper (Often with my arms over my head) but I occasionally roll onto my side at night and doing so would result in moderate to severe pain and numbness.  It would wake me up, keep me up, and linger mildly throughout the day. It just plain sucked!  

My nerve issue still flairs up on occasion, but the one thing that made the biggest difference for me was a hammock.  I ditched my queen sized bed last August and never looked back!  The hammock eliminated the pressure points and desire to roll on my side and physically prevents me from doing so in my sleep. I also think it helps by positioning and somewhat pinning my arms to my body. I went to multiple doctors and one of them suggested strapping my arm to my body at night, and the hammock in a sense does that.   It's also an ideal setup for a vehicle as it takes up little space, is easy to keep clean and can be adjusted from extreme heat (No bedding required) to extreme cold (A foam undermat and sleeping bag). It sounds stupid, but it's totally changed my sleep for the better.

Here's the one I use. I don't use the stand, I have put eyelets into the walls of my bedroom and tie off to the seat belt loop and back door of my van.

I'd recommend a cotton one as opposed to the nylon and other synthetics as they breath better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Hamm...978142?hash=item58da9f0ade:g:u8AAAOSwdzVXt--B

I recently started getting numbness in my hand and pain in my elbow while bicycling. I have been trying to adjust my handlebars to fix the problem, but the strange thing is that I have had my bicycle handlebars the same way for years with no problems.

I realized that I started reading a tablet in bed not too long ago, bending my arms to hold the tablet above me while laying on my back. Sometimes for hours. I think that this is the cause of the pain I am experiencing while bicycling.

Just guessing here, but I find that sleeping without a pillow now seems to work for me. I think it has taken some of the stress out of my neck. If you side sleep, maybe a firmer or thicker pillow will bring your head to a comfortable height without your hand needing to be there to prop it up. maybe a hammock will suit you better, or a recliner type of position.

Latest posts