Sarah Connor Chronicles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only screen of any sort that I own right now is my smartphone, which would require a streaming service of some sort to use for movies and shows.

I'd rather not do that. I'm trying to get more of my viewing entertainment on loan from the library. Using the rural library service, they will send books, and music/movie discs to me. So far I don't know how else to watch a physical disc except with a DVD player and a TV. If there's a way to use a DVD player and a smartphone, please someone point me in the right direction.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

John61CT said:
An old laptop with a DVD drive will do.

+1  laptop 

Also, consider shopping thrift stores from time to time to look for a portable DVD player.  Before car manufacturers started putting DVD players in the back seats for the kids, they were pretty common.  You might find one.  They can be run off of a cigarette lighter adaptor usually, as well as a 120 charger.

There was this show from 2006 I really got into that was canceled mid-season... man was I pissed (and I think that sealed the deal for me to discontinue watching cable TV or live TV in general). But then years later I found out that they had actually finished the season and the final episode has a satisfying conclusion (and a minor cliffhanger for a potential second season of course), so I was really happy when I got my hands on the DVD eventually. It was called Daybreak and had kind of a Groundhog Day vibe to it (day repeats over and over, but within a cop / crime drama):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0801425/

" I'm STILL scoping out ideal bug-out sites for the zombie apocalypse. Every place I see is automatically zombie-proof rated in my mind."

Funny I'm from New Jersey and we're always thinking gee that looks like a good place to dump a body.

Back in 1969 I was in the army and watched 2001 Space Odessy. When it was finished I figured they lost the last reel because it didn't make any sense. Years later when I saw it again I realized it just didn't make any sense at least to the uninitiated like me. I tried to binge watch the series "Lost" and had to stop after the 4th season for the same reason

Bobflhtc said:
Funny I'm from New Jersey and we're always thinking gee that looks like a good place to dump a body.

You'd love Nevada. A vast arid Meadowlands or Pine Barrens with sage and creosote instead of pines, except for the green areas near the rivers, above and below ground.

2001 wasn't designed to make sense, it was designed to spread Chaos. It may have also been foretelling in the scene on the lunar surface where the stage with lights and cameras had been set up around the monolith. Staged activity on the lunar surface.

RowanFae: I have a "Carol's Cookies" tee. :)
So far, of the few who grok it, their faces always light up, even more so if they're female. :D

QinReno:
Other major coolnesses of "Breaking Bad" are the RV and remote locations.
+1 to "Reilly, Ace of Spies". Sam Neill's breakout role, true story, and very relevant history lesson.

Angie:
After a summer of experimenting with car dwelling, in August I decided to buy a portable DVD player (Amazon has many in the 40-$50 range), and am generally pleased with it.
I found my laptop often used excessive power during DVD playback, so it made sense to separate the fun from the serious.
Since I already had a modest DVD collection, the player means I'm not dependent on wifi or broadcast TV signals.
Early December, I had my first major breakdown (10 day duration), in a small town in SD, and having that player and a few DVDs (including "Firefly") were a major boost to my morale. :)

I've seen the first couple of eps of "Luther", but it was too contrived for me...
despite the otherwise reliably awesome Idris Elba. ;)
I trust you've seen "The Mountain Between Us"?!? :D

C-Cat:
Thanks! As a Firefly fan, I'll at least try out any show with a Crew member in it and Adam Baldwin (aka "Jayne Cobb") was in "Daybreak", so I've long wondered how it ended. :)

wayne49 said:
You'd love Nevada. A vast arid Meadowlands or Pine Barrens with sage and creosote instead of pines, except for the green areas near the rivers, above and below ground.

One of my all-time favorite lines was spoken by Levon Helm of "The Band" in the movie "Shooter", where he tells the FBI guy who's asking how do you hide a conspiracy like the JFK assassination.  He says, "I've still got the shovels".  

So, in Nevada , they would get to join all the other dead guys who needed to shut up about what they knew. 

:D